• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emotional Response to Music

bentHnau

Exploding Radical
Have you ever found yourself emotionally overwhelmed by music? If so, which kind of music, how did it feel, do you know why it affected you so, and did the feelings ever become unpleasant?

yes many times and it's usually movie scores that sound beautiful or songs I haven't heard for a while and the weird 80's and 90's songs that make me feel like I'm about to have a meltdown or something :/

yes many times and it's usually movie scores that sound beautiful or songs I haven't heard for a while and the weird 80's and 90's songs that make me feel like I'm about to have a meltdown or something :/
Ditto on the movie scores, some tv show music scores as well like the vampire diaries in its first couple of seasons.

All the time. Most recently, the original, studio version of Van Morrison's Caravan just sends me off. Wheeee! What a song.

Yes, more when I was younger though. Movie scores, probably because I had the emotions of the movie to attach to it. I just started a thread about how deeply watching a movie affects me. Classical music mostly does it for me know. I love driving along on a beautiful day with some "Good", not elevator, music on the stereo. The power of it lifts me into the air, and I float along just loving life.

Always. Especially when its music about isolation or shame, which are two things I've experienced a lot in my life, but less now than ever. Radiohead, Peter Gabriel and Joy Division always have an emotional impact on me. Especially this album:

It depends upon my mood, but certain songs at certain times can make me feel either elated, or extremely depressed to the point of crying.

And when I used to play in orchestras, there was sometimes quite a lot of emotion involved if the piece was exceptionally emotional or exceptionally exciting.

My favorite songs often make me cry. Like "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol is one of my favorites. I call it my OTP song, but I listen to it while laying in bed and having a meltdown for hours.

This almost makes me cry, as i remember watching it with my sister and back then i was happy and thought i could do anything ,

Last edited:
Jeff Buckley gets me every time, his music is just so haunting, and there's something about the key that makes me get all fuzzy around the edges...

Some music can make me feel aggressive, elated or depressed (Classical or Rock) it can also stir up memories both good and bad, in the case of aggression I recently lost control while listening to some loud music and smashed my glasses (I had to get a new pair) so I try to keep track of my emotions as much as I possibly can when listening to music it can be quite a ride sometimes.
Heres one of the tunes that affects me emotionally (non-aggressive though)

I love Christmas. Every time I hear "Carol of the Bells" I feel joyous, but I also feel overwhelming sadness and tears come to my eyes as I've always wanted to be in a Christmas choir and when I tried out in 6th grade I was the only one who wasn't accepted. It still hurts - I can remember it like yesterday. I never sang again.

Music is truly my Achilles Heel. It can lift me or dash me on the rocks in a moment and whilst I can see why in older music, I can hear a brand new song and feel devastated for no reason.

A good 'recent' example was this (haunts me still)

Music has been my main passion since small. It is the only thing that seems to connect me to my emotions and my inner self, alongside nature. I especially like the music of Clannad and Enya, Aha, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish and the song 'I Think It's Going To Rain Today' by Bette Midler.

I like music that is relaxing. Classical or ambient music is very relaxing. The local PBS station plays classical music all day during the week and a program called "Echoes" in the evening. This is really good music. I like to have it on whenever I take a nape during the day. When I'm out and about I like to listen to classic rock. Mostly British classic rock, particularly Pink Floyd.

Oh, I could post a ton of good (nay, excellent) movie scores. This is one of my favorites. There's something uplifting about this tune. It makes me want to jump on a horse and go for a vigorous ride:
I love music, but have to be careful what I listen to.. no love songs, no, no, no, they bring my mood right down!
Needs to be uplifting, vigorous.. still on the Spiderman 2 theme, on repeat, nearly four weeks now :D

New Threads

Top Bottom