• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emotional problems and autism!!

Cazzie

hi guys,

is this normal, to get very emotional over everyday stuff is this quite normal with autism? does anybody also get this on here and how do you cope?

take care cazzie

Can you be specific as to what you mean by "everyday stuff"? Are you talking about life in general?

I do get emotional about things, different things. They can range from feeling lonely to reminiscing and missing old times/friends. I listen to a lot of depressing music so that also contributes to it. I'm not sure if my AS contributes to these emotions or not, it has been suggested on the forums here that I might have a mild form depression. I also got bullied a lot during my childhood and had a rough time through school. So yeah, I do get emotional sometimes but am not sure whether my AS plays a part in it.

When I saw your post I wanted to shout BIG FONT lol. I get emotional at certain things like anything relating to relationships or people in them as makes me more lonely or if reminds me of something about an ex. But could just be mood swings or hormones , thats only if ur a teen probs. I guess some aspies get emotional but so does some nt's get over emotional over nothing.

I'm not sure it is specific to Asperger's but I do get very emotional at times.

To disclose a bit, I have very low testosterone and have to take replacement testosterone...I think it sometimes gets out of balance and can lead me to being very sensitive and emotional. I only state that because there is a line of thought that hormone imbalance in fetuses can be a contributing factor to neural development and a possible contributor to Autism. I had to insist on having my hormone levels checked at age 23, because my medical doctor thought I was too young to be experiencing a deficiency, but my therapist wanted me to have it checked and it was very low.

So, it may be a part of autism to have abnormal hormonal changes that would lead to menopausal/andropausal mood and emotion swings.

I had a huge problem with this when I was young. I went through the cycle of being diagnosed with a bunch of other things because Aspergers wasn't recognized in my youth as a disorder yet. But some of those related directly to depression, and I'm sure it was because I struggled so hard to get by in the world. My first twenty years were utterly exhausting. I also used to cry when frustrated or angry, never when I was sad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it is specific to Asperger's but I do get very emotional at times.

To disclose a bit, I have very low testosterone and have to take replacement testosterone...I think it sometimes gets out of balance and can lead me to being very sensitive and emotional. I only state that because there is a line of thought that hormone imbalance in fetuses can be a contributing factor to neural development and a possible contributor to Autism. I had to insist on having my hormone levels checked at age 23, because my medical doctor thought I was too young to be experiencing a deficiency, but my therapist wanted me to have it checked and it was very low.

So, it may be a part of autism to have abnormal hormonal changes that would lead to menopausal/andropausal mood and emotion swings.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense! I have been experiencing some pretty severe hormonal imbalances for a few years now. I've been going to the doctor...no fix yet...need one soon...I'm tired of the hot flashes, irregular periods, odd hair growth in odd places, etc. I'm only 31, and my mother is in her 50's and has not started menopause, yet I'm having menopausal symptoms. This must have something to do with AS. :|

I use to be very depress and emotional as a child til 32 years old. It can be due to the environment that we are in.
Sometimes people distress and bully me.
I just dont see the logic in talking to most people.
Their rubbish irks me greatly.
I started communicating about a decade ago.
It was a road of ordeal and hardships.
Though i m no longer that depress.
I m still very emotional at times without showing it.
When i see people in trouble, i felt the pain too.
I think that i m destinated to be depress for the rest of my life.
What i can do is to lessen the intensity of depression.
Try to switch off the emotional part of me and be logical.

Nowadays, I try to do logical deductions when i m depress.
It helps me alot.

I guess it depends on what you mean by everyday day stuff but yah. I get upset over what a lot people tell me are trivial things or things that most people don't get upset over. I get frustrated and start being unable to talk well. I tend to start hyperventaling and then the tears come and I just run away i can't help it. I've been told that it can be a part of it. Oh by the way Cazzie I'm visually impaired too. I use big font as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom