• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emojis - is there a way to add one for empathy?

QuestJan

I started this in response to the thread about chronic pain, but I have wished for it several times previously. I did not know how to make this request otherwise.

Sometimes I just want the speaker to know that they are heard and no longer alone in their physical, emotional, or spiritual pain. We can current send them like, agree, funny, winner, informative, friendly, useful, optimistic, and creative. Could we add 'empathy'? Or even better as my youngest Millenials say it, "I feel you"

The heart for "friendly" is what I usually use when I want to say I feel their pain, or I use the rainbow for "optimistic" when I want to give someone hope.

I use the heart too. But the emojis seldom match my real intentions. Sometimes I want to give others the rainbow just because rainbows are pretty and I want to brighten their day.
:rolleyes: <-- I am not even sure I know what this guy means. LOL

Face with rolling eyes is an emoji used to express disbelief, annoyance, impatience, boredom, and disdain.
It can also be used to indicate sarcasm or irony.
It can be playful, or mocking....

I know some AS people are not fond of touch/hugs/anything like that. Does that discomfort extend to the virtual world? curious.

I usually just use the heart for empathy as well.

@phantom, your image comes up as a red X for me and "Reply*" gives me an error message.

*edit: To an apparently deleted post #16.

Last edited:
Since there isn’t anytning labeled as empathy or sympathy, I use the heart as though it has those words in addition to friendly. Those emotions are part and parcel of friendliness so it’s not illogical to do so.
I’ve often wished that the cup with beverage was on the llittle menu, as to me it is a good representation of sympathy &/or empathy. But that’s my subjective reaponse.

@Forest Cat

In my opinion, the Heart/Friendly rating means
that the person giving the rating evaluates the
content of the post as expressing friendly
thoughts, describing a situation.

The Rainbow/Optimistic rating indicates the idea
that the content of the post is positive/Optimistic.

New Threads

Top Bottom