• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Electric Bikes

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
OK, so I’m lazy. I bought myself an electrically assisted bike, with decent pack racks so I can use it to do a bit of shopping.

I haven’t ridden it much yet, too wet and cold outside. It takes a bit of getting used to one of these, they can be dangerous if you’re not careful. It only takes a little bit of forward momentum on the pedal crank to make the motor cut in, so if you’re waiting at the lights and you try to move forward a few inches the motor can cut in and throw you forwards.

That's pretty nice!
I like pedal bicycles, but have been considering fitting mine with a motor.

have been considering fitting mine with a motor.

Pays to check the laws in your country and state. In Australia if the motor can be operated without having to pedal then it is no longer a bicycle, it's a motor bike that needs registration and insurance.

Other than that, just searching the net is a bit of an eye opener for what's available out there, yes you can get motor kits for your existing bike. I was thinking of doing that myself but when I saw all the extra features on what I bought, plus the warranty, I decided the extra few dollars was worth it.

I don't have a car so this is going to be a well used bike. There's no way I'll be able to buy an electric car and it's not worth owning a petrol driven one any more. I think a lot more people will be going down this path soon.

I'm going the two stroke gasoline route on one of my Schwinn Stingrays like my blue one in this picture.

The engine is a 66cc unit which is attached to a custom made engine mount that was added to the Schwinn frame.
The rear sprocket was a rig-job from square one that was fastened to the spokes with thin plates and junk rubber pads, so I did a redesign on it to make it more durable.
Now the final drive is sent thru the rear hub with a precisely fit collar I machined for it:
No more runout or broken spokes this way.

The front brakes were insufficient for stopping it, so that got a rework too.
That was the largest bicycle disc rotor available, so that is what it gets.

The final drive from the engine to the rear sprocket runs thru a jackshaft after inputting the torque thru a Shimano 3 speed planetary rear hub to give it a transmission.
That shaft includes another smaller disc rotor to handle the rear stopper.
The jackshaft arrangement will allow me to make gearing changes on it without a major overhaul to the rest of the machine.

I machined a log manifold for 5 whippit nitrous oxide cylinders to feed it tiny shots of NOS when the power is needed.
The engine was also refitted with a reed intake valve to reduce reversion and increase the performance.

I relieved the porting in the cylinder and altered the intake charge timing as well.

A new cylinder head has been designed that will allow me to optimize the compression ratio.

In the end, I hope to get it to travel at around 50 miles per hour on the flats but also pull out quicker with the added lower gearing.
I will retain the pedals so it will qualify as a unregistered moped.
The engine is marked as a 50cc and other than a teardown for measurement it will go unnoticed by the authorities :innocent:

Last edited:
@Nitro posted a pic, l said l need to check this out. By notification of this post Mr Nitro- l am officially ordering one in bright magenta with turquoise tire rims. But my seat needs bling, l outlived the punk era. Special request- lowrider handles? Just give me the final costs so l can start a gofundmybike, #nitrobikesmatter
:)

Last edited:
I may entertain e-assist when I turn 80. I like the physicality of moving my ass using my own power. Now that I sold my Concours 14, were I to go motorized I'd get the Honda PCX. I'd bet with the large diameter wheels you can countersteer this scooter.

I have an Aerovironment Charger bike, and the assistance only comes on with pedaling, but instantly, and in proportion, like power brakes on a car. Putting it on high boost makes me feel like Bionic Superman. A friend's bike has that jerky controller, and it is much less convincing. Using the manual control just makes me feel like Marlon McWimpo.

OK, so I’m lazy. I bought myself an electrically assisted bike, with decent pack racks so I can use it to do a bit of shopping.
That is cheating... ;)

Here is the next generation of electrically-assisted bikes...
Self-Driving Bicycle, Google (2016)

Last edited:
Those e-bikes are becoming quite popular in cities in the US. Where I work, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, US,...there are quite a few steep hills and the downtown area is quickly being converted to more of an urban living center. Many young professionals have found living downtown to be quite convenient,...expensive in some ways,...cheap in others,...and those e-bikes offer a lot of utility 9 months out of the year when it isn't snowing,...especially if you have utility racks on the front and back to carry things. Being able to just turn up the assist and zip up those hills,...but even the fact that you aren't going to be physically "working" enough to be perspiring in your work clothes. I know back in the day, we had a few avid bicyclists at work,...and they often would pedal to work, then take a shower to clean up in the locker room before changing into their work clothes. That's time,...and frankly, the reason why most people didn't bicycle to work is that time element in their lives. I think the e-bikes may give an opportunity to free up some time.

Furthermore, my sister-in-law,...now recently passed of cancer,...but she was an avid bicyclist for years,...and when she started going for chemotherapy and radiation, she felt too weak to go out on her beloved bike rides. There were quite a few long bike trails she loved around the area,...and they liked to travel and would bring their bikes. Well, she ended up getting an e-bike and was now able to enjoy her rides again.

I know a lot of retirees who might not have the physical strength to do a lot of pedaling up and down hills, are finding that e-bike assist quite helpful.

So, I think there's a reason for their popularity.

I was a bicycle commuter for decades, and would never have considered bathing after the morning commute unless it really suited my schedule - maybe no hot water at home. As far as I know, I only started to stink if I wore polyester, got angry, or ate meat.

I was a printer, I didn't have to clean myself up when I got to work, not much point in that. So I used to ride the bike a lot, mostly because it was less stressful than driving in morning traffic, I liked my ride to work in the morning.

I've had a bit of a hard life the past dozen years or so and I've aged a little early. I honestly don't have the energy for pedalling up hills any more.

While not an electric bike, it is a small folding bike made by Brompton out of the UK. It folds in a few seconds and all of the oily parts (chain) fold on the inside, so no mess.

CF40E599-A21C-4477-9A46-9B022011FF6C.jpeg
A9A72A24-126B-42B2-ACD0-FD3758B31BE8.jpeg
AF3CFFE7-1C6D-44FB-890C-2B9F9CE174F4.jpeg

Is that plane your daily commute?

Nice bike by the way.

This plane is called a Maule and is capable of landing just about anywhere. It is very popular with Alaskan outfitters as it can carry 1000 lbs a 1000 miles. You can fit a field dressed moose or two 55 gallon drums of diesel etc. I carry the bike as I often land in remote fields or dirt strips with no services, so the bike allows me to pedal into town for a quick lunch or dinner.

As far as I know, I only started to stink if I wore polyester, got angry, or ate meat.

I noticed this earlier and meant to comment, but I forgot.

I also usually had very low body odor. I do eat meat, mostly meat actually, not as good on the vegies as I should be. Some places I worked at would give you a nylon company shirt to wear and those always made me stink. I couldn't stand the feel of them either and always wore a cotton singlet underneath, it didn't help much.

20151111_151452.jpg

My Gnarly-Davidson before the upgrades.
I bought it scrapped together by someone else then set about to improve it.

It only had rear rim style brakes and the chain exited it way too often for my taste.

I'm going the two stroke gasoline route on one of my Schwinn Stingrays like my blue one in this picture.

The engine is a 66cc unit which is attached to a custom made engine mount that was added to the Schwinn frame.
The rear sprocket was a rig-job from square one that was fastened to the spokes with thin plates and junk rubber pads, so I did a redesign on it to make it more durable.
Now the final drive is sent thru the rear hub with a precisely fit collar I machined for it:
No more runout or broken spokes this way.

The front brakes were insufficient for stopping it, so that got a rework too.
That was the largest bicycle disc rotor available, so that is what it gets.

The final drive from the engine to the rear sprocket runs thru a jackshaft after inputting the torque thru a Shimano 3 speed planetary rear hub to give it a transmission.
That shaft includes another smaller disc rotor to handle the rear stopper.
The jackshaft arrangement will allow me to make gearing changes on it without a major overhaul to the rest of the machine.

I machined a log manifold for 5 whippit nitrous oxide cylinders to feed it tiny shots of NOS when the power is needed.
The engine was also refitted with a reed intake valve to reduce reversion and increase the performance.

I relieved the porting in the cylinder and altered the intake charge timing as well.

A new cylinder head has been designed that will allow me to optimize the compression ratio.

In the end, I hope to get it to travel at around 50 miles per hour on the flats but also pull out quicker with the added lower gearing.
I will retain the pedals so it will qualify as a unregistered moped.
The engine is marked as a 50cc and other than a teardown for measurement it will go unnoticed by the authorities :innocent:
You did a great job with your bike, that's impressive!

New Threads

Top Bottom