• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eharmony/Compatible Partners

I have not. Years ago I tried Plenty of Fish and it was unpleasant. I did also try Craig's List. That can be a precarious place to introduce yourself to someone but I did meet a very nice lady and we dated nearly two months. I have no ideas on how to meet people for dating, I have never been very successful at it though I have dated a number of people for short periods.

Does anyone care to share any experiences with this website?

I tried it a couple of times. Amazingly, it found some matches for me, although the best ones seemed to live in Vancouver...or the Yukon. (True story, but not a memorable one.) Didn't come close to getting a date, though.

I was matched to a guy. I joined for friends. He joined for friends. He and I connected intellectually. His trial was running out, so he gave me his email. I just cancelled the membership as well, because everyone on it wanted to hookup, and I was uninterested. There were also women who signed up as men, who wanted 'Christian women', because they were Christians also? I don't know, it was so weird.

Anyway, he eventually stopped emailing me. That's my experience. Would I do it again? No, I would not. I don't suggest it, either. I wrote a review on it on my blog before I restarted it. Meh. I gave it 2/5 stars.

Well, I liked it at first but I suppose that I was blinded by the slick appearance of the site. They apparently only have a few hundred match questions (compare that to the thousands and counting on OkCupid), and the majority are too frivolous to be of any help in selecting anyone for anything, except maybe casting for a reality show.

Plenty of negative experience with it, created account, answered questions I could (plenty of questions I could not because they simply did not apply to me, how do you answer questions about things you have no experience with when that is not an answer option?) and by the end of it the ****ing site told me it did not even want my money. So it ended up being yet another form of rejection, which only brought old bitter and painfull memories to the surface.

I've been off and on the website for the last 5 years. My current subscription is set to expire this month, but I am considering a new subscription in the future. I've met 3 women from the site, two from Washington and one from Oregon. I have faith in this site.

It depends on what you regard as success. Did it result in a lot of dates before I got married? Yes. Did I have fun dating the women I met on this site? Absolutely - wouldn't trade the experiences (even the bad ones that weren't fun). Did it result in a lasting relationship? I was once engaged to a woman I met on this site.

Did it result in a happy marriage? Yes, and no. The aforementioned engagement ended (probably in part because I was ASD and neither of us knew it), which was depressing at the time, but that experience taught me lessons that changed my perspectives on a variety of important subjects. First, it led me to reconsider what I was looking for in marriage versus what makes for a fun first date. Second, it taught me to be more careful about what I needed to see in another person before proposing.

These lessons and others uniquely positioned me to recognize and appreciate the virtues of the woman who eventually became my wife. I didn't meet her on the site, but I doubt we'd have gotten married but for my experiences on eharmony.

Bottom line, don't discount the value of even your negative experiences in dating - if you have an analytical aspie mind, then every experience has its value/merit.

My boyfriend of a year and a half, who has Aspergers, I met on Match.com. He said what was easiest for him was being able to have the time to calculate his responses to me and not be forced into the normal social awkwardness of finding people in public. A place neither of us are too fond to spend a lot of time in. We were able to find a decent amount about one another without all the weirdness. We talked for about a week or two through the site before meeting and then the rest is history. Honestly, until recently he did not tell me he has aspergers. Now knowing what I do, I am starting to understand all of those things I thought were a little off or odd. I highly recommend it, while I do not have aspergers, I am a relatively shy person and it worked great for both of us to more so 'weed' out and get a feel for others without that weirdness.

I've never trusted the compatibility tests etc on most websites because as thorough (or ridiculous) as they can be with their numerous questions, they're still about as effective for me as trying to define an emotion with words (which is to say hollow and imprecise). You could do this and so easily overlook a potential partner because maybe you don't want someone who's the same as you (and do you know 110% all the areas where you do and don't want them to be the same), personality traits and even sydromes such as aspergers can be presented in so many hundreds of thousands or more different ways yet the words themselves forming this filtering criteria are just 20, 30, 40 or 150 in numbers.....so- nice try online dating industry but you're about as close to solving the equation of love as computers are to exterminating the human race!!

New Threads

Top Bottom