• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eatery asked autistic boy to leave

Tigris

by Christina Lee

My son, Aaron was diagnosed with autism at the age of three. I had no doubt about his diagnosis and accepted reality readily. In fact, I found it a big relief and was offered help almost immediately. I needed the diagnosis desperately, so that Aaron could receive the necessary therapies and intervention.

Relatives and friends found the diagnosis hard to believe, and were unable to support us; some did not even understand our absence at gatherings.

Luckily, my family stood by us and we had immense support from my parents, we enrolled Aaron in an EIPIC (Early Intervention Programme for Infants and Children) school, after only a month's waiting.

Aaron was provided the best attention from caring teachers and understanding from his peers.

And that gave me an hour-and-a-half's break - away from his screams and tantrums which happen any time, anywhere.

Although the biting, beating, scratching and banging of his head continues, I can see that he is improving. My daughter, aged five, has bravely barged into her brother's lonely world even though she is scared. She longs to see the day that her brother will stop biting or beating her. We have not given up, and will never do so.

One day, I decided to slowly break with routine and took him to a new place for breakfast. Being autistic, Aaron loves his routine.

However, I felt that he handled the transition very well. To my shock, because of a few screams and a mild tantrum, my mother, my son and I were asked to leave the eatery.

We were told rudely that Aaron was disturbing others. I looked around to see who might be irritated by his screams but could spot no one who was. Yet I did not feel anger or a sense of unfairness, though my mother was fuming - I just left the eatery.

I have received enough awful comments, which spring from the fact that in our society, autism is invisible.

My son has been criticised for being a spoilt brat; I have been glared at and curiously scrutinised. I never minded the rude stares or disgusted remarks, as I know that awareness of autism in Singapore is really very low.

All parents of autistic children face the same problems.

And I am sad to discover that some parents, due to the lack of support and proper understanding of autism, have even resorted to suicide.

The Government, schools, teachers and volunteers are already doing a great job assisting families affected with autism. With an increase in the public's awareness and knowledge of autism, we parents and our autistic children would be helped even further.

Do not shortchange my son's future. He needs your understanding to strive on.

TODAYonline

If not of A-CASE's reforms (which are needed now, for re-thinking) and the lack of support of autistic people, given the level of wealth in Singapore - well, Tigris, I suppose, you won't post this article here, and this wouldn't look as appalling as it appears to be. It will be a shocker to the whole world, if they care enough to stop and see what's going on.

Singaporean society, in essence, places too much emphasis on social success that even if one is capable, so long as he is not socially apt, if he is autistic, he's still seen as 'incapable' and will fail!

I read a same newspaper that there are indeed successful people with disabilities, who do succeed - but I got the feeling that if we learn a thing or two from Sweden or Britain on the welfare state model, perhaps we can do much better - as a whole community of PSNs - because all we need to do is not fight societal expectations, but to be our best.

Can't just everyone note that being our bests is much, much more important than being a societal fit?

Last edited:
Well my friend, since we are probably the only Asians in this forum, I guess it wouldn't hurt to post more autism news from the East? Most of the autism based info are mostly from the West and there is little coverage for autism news in the East.

Many people from the west are practically ignorant of what **** is going on with their aspie counterparts in Asia.

Any 'good news' coming from the East? Other than Brunei's increased involvement in ASDs, no others I heard lately.

New Threads

Top Bottom