• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Earmuffs

With earmuffs less is more. I used Peltor earmuffs (shooter's type, cheap ones) and they are great for that--you don't want the ones that fold in on themselves at the sides but the plainest one you can get. This is pretty close to what I was using.

3M Peltor H6AV Optime 95 Over the Head Noise Reduction Earmuff, Hearing Protection, Ear Protectors, NRR 21dB, Ideal for Machine Shops and Power Tools, Beige - Safety Ear Muffs - Amazon.com

Try this. (Or maybe try buying them somewhere other than Amazon, if you also hate Amazon.)

These were comfortable enough to wear and had enough noise reduction that I used them for running power equipment and shooting. Only problem is that they're kind of awful if you are wearing a hat with them but hey it's the 21st century so not everyone is wearing hats.

Ear things can be irritating, no doubt. I often bend the plastic band to help. Maybe heat with a hair dryer then flatten out the band to with less constriction around your head?

Ear protectors- not "ear muffs". Huge difference as ear muffs do not carry a designated noise reduction rating (NRR) as do ear protectors. Which is the sort of device one uses on the firing range...or employs on certain more mundane occasions to block sound. I know, because I do both.

My experience with ear protectors is that they almost all have the same quality- too damn tight, becoming uncomfortable within minutes- maybe even seconds for most people who put them on.

Simple solution. You laterally stretch the thick wiring that connects the ear protector to the headband by gently and progressively pulling the ear protectors apart . It's just that- thick wiring so it should bend under force. You just keep stretching it until it feels reasonable to wear for extended periods. Out-of-the-box and I suspect most people find them just too tight.

Of course when you do this, that wonderful noise reduction rating is inherently diminished. But then these devices do not involve electronic or sonic forms of "noise cancellation" either. They're only designed to reduce sound- not eliminate it. But then ear protectors at ten percent of the cost of noise cancelling headphones are considerably sturdier than headphones. A factor often lost on people seeking relief from a noisy world. Those $300 noise-cancelling headphones work marvelously, until enough tension on the internal wiring ruins them. Similar to ear buds as well. Just too fragile unless you handle them constantly with "kid gloves" and never, ever fold them.

I've found I can "manhandle" those ear protectors to bend the thick wires so they aren't so damn tight. Knowing that it will reduce the noise reduction somewhat. But comfort counts...and I know that one cannot "manhandle" any electronic headphones without the likelihood of destroying them.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom