• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dyslexia

I'm fair sure I have dyslexia as well as Aspergers. I got diagnosed with AS recently and when talking to someone about my reading difficulties they thought it sounds a lot like dyslexia so now I'm just trying to find out for sure. I'm getting sick of finding out there are things wrong with me. I have been told I really need to work on my self-confidence (or lack of). I'm having a particularly difficult day today.
I'm sorry to hear it Joel. It's nearly home time, so hang in there. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

I defiantly have dyslexia too. And don't have time for a novel reply. But, dyslexia is not connected to ASD. Some with ASD have it obviously, but, there not connected. As for how it is to live with both? Well, Dyslexia and therefore those with it have more of a range of issue variety and degree then Aspies. And others with it. Your life quality is therefore greatly more dependent on the degree of the severity of your dyslexia, the combo of symptoms you struggle or have struggled with, and your environment, and up bringing, ect. Obviously, regardless of those things it makes your life more challenging then someone who is just an aspie. However, how much, depends on a number of factors, including who surrounds you and there personalities, there awareness and understanding of your issues, ect. It also depends on what specific things sometimes that your speaking about. For example, if your talking about my short term - memory for example, it makes my life tons harder. If your talking though about my ability to encode and decode though, that's not nearly as difficult now for me. So, that's just an added diagnosis in that case. Understand?
Generally, separating the two. And those with just one, for understanding purposes mainly. A Dyslexic can struggle with everything language based and associated with words and ideas. Organizing them, spelling them, retrieving them, remembering them, reading them, visualizing them, auditory processing, etc. An Aspie has issues feeling the right emotions at the right time, and thinking NT. Dyslexics have no issues feeling or the timing of there emotions. They have issues possibly for example stating the proper emotions due to there memory, but, that's different. Dyslexics, use more of there right side to think, etc., then the norm. Autistics have some wiring that doesn't even exist a little in a dyslexic or any non-HFA. If you have both, you get the advantages and disadvantages of both. Sometimes, dampening, some of the super strengths of either side. Follow?

For ex; I'm super creative ( Thanks to my Dyslexia and ADD). However, in all areas of my brain my short term memory is VERY impaired. (Something many Aspies are GREAT at.) Comparing and contrasting the too in detail, isn't easy, via a threaded board. So, I hope this helps.

With that said, government wise in the US society atleast, Aspies typically are seen as possibly more impaired. And kinda, rightfully so. Because our brains speak different languages and we have sensory issues. Things that are far less understood and treatable. Things that can't make us always as much more normal as possible. Compared to Dyslexic symptoms. Which can if remediated properly through the right instruction, direction, support, and ect. Will let us fit in far better, if that's our ONLY issue. There are exceptions however, if you compare a super remediated well employed aspie doing amazing for her/ himself/ with a severely autistic individual with remediation. Then the roles would differ.

Like Aspies, some of our tools are permanently damaged if even existent. However, our tools that either differ, are differently impaired, or have possibly different, future prognosis, sometimes also have semi-cure, potential. That Aspies don't have.

So is it harder. You bet! But, isn't anyone with ANY additional diagnosis of anything going to have more to deal with?! Without a doubt! I didn't read all if any of the replies before posting this.

In the disability world there are levels of normalcy and different. There are also levels of high functioning mental disabilities/ different to. Dyslexia is closer to more normal. However, Aspie, isn't the most wacko or different diagnosis of those with high functioning mental diagnosis's either.

I have been diagnosed with Dyslexia and i'm waiting for an assement for Aspergers.

my short term memory is very poor. there are words which i will have read many times and have great difficulty remembering whereas other words aren't a probblem. I have difficulty with words that have a double 's' or double 'c' in.

however, my brain is good at percieving patterns (visual) and coming up with creative ways around a problem (which i've wondered if could be aspergers related?). So i've always relied heavily on these qualities to make up for the areas of difficulty caused by dyslexia.

somethimes when i am writing and thinking of the words in the sentance i am currently writing, i combine parts of words from the start of the sentance and the end of the sentence.

If i were to write a list, on lined paper, of things i like and then to re-arrange them in order of my most to least favorourite, it would be a very slow and laboured process because they are ordered horizontally, where as if they were laid out in a spider diagram my brain could process the information alot quicker.

however, my brain is good at percieving patterns (visual) and coming up with creative ways around a problem (which i've wondered if could be aspergers related?).

That's the rumor. That perhaps we are more inclined to use the logical "left" side of our brain. But I certainly can think of exceptions....people who are artistically creative in various ways.

I know in my case I am very good at discerning patterns and being able to draw accurate conclusions.

I was never diagnosed but I tend to mix up my p's, q's, g's, y's, b's and d's when writing but I quickly see my mistake and fix it. I do not know if that counts for dyslexia.

I was never diagnosed but I tend to mix up my p's, q's, g's, y's, b's and d's when writing but I quickly see my mistake and fix it. I do not know if that counts for dyslexia.

That's dyslexia, for sure. But, many people with dyslexia, have other traits too. Don't you? Some of the other challenges are reading comprehension, spelling, grammar, audio, visual, or tactile learning, processing/ memory. Most don't have issues with ALL of those things however.

That's dyslexia, for sure. But, many people with dyslexia, have other traits too. Don't you? Some of the other challenges are reading comprehension, spelling, grammar, audio, visual, or tactile learning, processing/ memory. Most don't have issues with ALL of those things however.
I was told that I have comprehension issues sometimes. I am quite good at spelling. Grammar, it depends.

Ordinarily I can read ok.
Cow milk (to drink, eat in food, or even as a milk bath) changes that.
I can't keep words or columns on a page straight.
So, I don't use cow milk.

Last time one of my ear drums broke I couldn't read correctly for 2 weeks.
For example:
A B
C D

Instead of A B, C D, it was A D, C B.
That was poor.

"Vinca, post: 119022, member: 3700"]I have been diagnosed with Dyslexia and i'm waiting for an assement for Aspergers.

my short term memory is very poor. there are words which i will have read many times and have great difficulty remembering whereas other words aren't a probblem. I have difficulty with words that have a double 's' or double 'c' in.

however, my brain is good at percieving patterns (visual) and coming up with creative ways around a problem (which i've wondered if could be aspergers related?). So i've always relied heavily on these qualities to make up for the areas of difficulty caused by dyslexia.

somethimes when i am writing and thinking of the words in the sentance i am currently writing, i combine parts of words from the start of the sentance and the end of the sentence.

If i were to write a list, on lined paper, of things i like and then to re-arrange them in order of my most to least favorourite, it would be a very slow and laboured process because they are ordered horizontally, where as if they were laid out in a spider diagram my brain could process the information alot quicker.

Hi Vinca , I'm dyslexic too I can't spell at all and reverse letters phrases and drop words all the time. But I'm very good with patterns, logic, and visual stuff Oh! my creative side is off the chart, all in all I'd say I came out ahead on it. :D not looking to trade me in for a few spelling mistakes.

How are you doing Vinca :)

I have numbers dyslexia; the worst this affected me was when I worked on a supermarket checkout & had to manually key in 14-digit numbers when labels didn't scan; if i see more than four of any number in a line - e.g. 0000 - it gets hard to distinguish how many digits there are.

English language was always my strong point from kid-hood but if I am ever required to read aloud, then the internal pressure in my ears escalates to a deafening roar, my eyes start to water & blur over & the letters swim & slide until they become mixed & indistinguishable. Recalling the reading tests I undertook at junior school brings this back quite vividly.

I can be verbally dyslexic; I can mix words up for no better reason than they sound similar & sometimes that can sound quite humorous; it's worse under duress, like all AS - ASD stuff. I think my grammar construction might be a bit skewed at times too, thinking about it

Most notable instance of dyslexia was when I was painting a sandwich board sign & couldn't tell whether I needed a P or a 9; it was a total brain-freeze moment that necessitated a second opinion.

No, I've always loved reading and from as early as I can remember I have read well. My year 5 teacher had me read to the class books many years above my grades.

I'm diagnosed with dyslexia. People tend to be surprised when they find out because I am an avid reader (have been since I was 4 years old), always had a reading age well above my peer group, and have decent spelling and grammar. While it was clear to me (and my mum) that I struggled with spelling and such in school, none of the teachers cared because what was 'struggling' for me, was still better than average for my age. As such I wasn't diagnosed until I started uni.

The assessment revealed other issues: When reading aloud I miss out entire words without noticing and literally cannot remember a single thing that I have read (but get top marks in literacy tests), I have a terrible short term memory, can't do mental maths (but am excellent at written maths), can't spot spelling mistakes when proof reading, my reading and writing speeds are well below average for a university student.

It's interesting, on the results sheet that graphed my ability at each of the things assessed I was either in the bottom 5% for things effected by the dyslexia, or the top 5% for everything else. The only thing near average was spelling, which I have worked very hard at over the years.

I have dyslexia and I'm especially bad with numbers, I was forever getting in trouble at school for getting the correct digits in answers but in the wrong order. I'm rubbish at remembering phone numbers.

argh, phone numbers are the bane of my life. After 3 years I have finally managed to memorise my mobile number, just in time to get a new phone :persevere: Dates too, if I ever remember a family members birthday without being reminded I will celebrate it as a miracle.

argh, phone numbers are the bane of my life. After 3 years I have finally managed to memorise my mobile number, just in time to get a new phone :persevere: Dates too, if I ever remember a family members birthday without being reminded I will celebrate it as a miracle.

Me too NothingToSeeHere , Dates mean nothing to me:rolleyes:...and I have to write my own phone number on my drivers licence or I'll be walking home if the car breaks down:eek:...not a good thing in the west where you could be walking a hundred miles.o_O

As for me, it is confirmed that I suffer from dyslexia, which explains on why I had trouble understanding the meaning of several (straight forward) instructions.

Reading and comprehension exams have been very difficult and stressful for me. [Native language] written exams, by contrast, have been very easy for me. I easily could top to the highest of my classes.

After some eye testing and finding an old psychology report, I probably not have dyslexia. Apparently when I was 8 I was diagnosed with a reading disorder but I wasn't told about it and not sure how bad or how different from dyslexia. I also found out I have a eye condition known as "lazy eye" where I find it difficult for both eyes to focus on things that are within a metre distance from eyes. I now have reading glasses that help to pull the focus together but often forget to wear them.

After some eye testing and finding an old psychology report, I probably not have dyslexia. Apparently when I was 8 I was diagnosed with a reading disorder but I wasn't told about it and not sure how bad or how different from dyslexia. I also found out I have a eye condition known as "lazy eye" where I find it difficult for both eyes to focus on things that are within a metre distance from eyes. I now have reading glasses that help to pull the focus together but often forget to wear them.

Dyslexia is NOT a vision impairment!

New Threads

Top Bottom