• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dull and boring vs. Excitement

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I believe I have brought up this topic before, but it's still a struggle with me.

One particular photographer seems to trigger instant envy (in a bad way), because of his photography of motorcycle/hot rod counter culture, plus the characters that inhabit that scene... His photos are awesome! My photos in comparison (that bad word) are just dull and boring, certainly not ultra-exciting

But is anything wrong with that?

I suppose it depends on what your goals are for your photography/artwork, what interests you, etc...

And if my main reason for photography is - in a sense - personal therapy, a way for me to relax... It can be whatever I want, boring or exciting...

Correct?

If anything what I see that separates you from that other photographer is the issue of predictability and randomness. In his case he's in a much tighter genre where the subjects he most wants to capture on film are already there in the form of a captive audience through a specific event.

Conversely you are doing street photography in real time, which means unpredictability and no particular sense of a captive audience. Plus having to constantly deal with the possibility that not everyone wants their picture taken. IMO a far more random- and difficult proposition than filming specific people in specific events. That it isn't whatever you want, rather that it's whatever is happening in real time.

Either revel in what you are doing, (even if it is inherently more difficult) or consider seeking to photograph something or someone that reflects a more captive audience with a greater defined genre. Let predictability work for you instead of unpredictability working against you. Hopefully allowing for more interesting photographic opportunities.

If anything what I see that separates you from that other photographer is the issue of predictability and randomness. In his case he's in a much tighter genre where the subjects he most wants to capture on film are already there in the form of a captive audience through a specific event.

Conversely you are doing street photography in real time, which means unpredictability and no particular sense of a captive audience. Plus having to constantly deal with the possibility that not everyone wants their picture taken. IMO a far more random- and difficult proposition than filming specific people in specific events. That it isn't whatever you want, rather that it's whatever is happening in real time.

Either revel in what you are doing, (even if it is inherently more difficult) or consider seeking to photograph something or someone that reflects a more captive audience with a greater defined genre. Let predictability work for you instead of unpredictability working against you. Hopefully allowing for more interesting photographic opportunities.
I agree, I was just mulling it over in my head last night

@Sherlock77 - You have shown us some phenomenal photography over the years. No need to unfavorably compare yourself with anyone else! Please just keep shooting pictures and posting them for our viewing pleasure.

@Sherlock77 - You have shown us some phenomenal photography over the years. No need to unfavorably compare yourself with anyone else! Please just keep shooting pictures and posting them for our viewing pleasure.
I just have little moments sometimes, we probably all do I suspect... They don't take long to snap out of really...

I just have little moments sometimes, we probably all do I suspect... They don't take long to snap out of really...

I guess it is the nature of street photography. It is not poised, planned, staged, neat and tidy. So when you get a great shot of something totally random, it is exceptional.

One time, an artist's friend fished a drawing out of his waste basket, and thought it was fine. He asked why it was thrown away, and the reply was "No problem."
Asked to elaborate, he said that it was too harmonious - there was nothing to catch one's interest.
BTW, one picture I've really admired was in the National Geographic. They did a feature on the Amish people, and had a group of boys, all in white shirts and suspenders, on bicycles, waiting in a group to cross a rural intersection toward the camera. Their faces are a study in amazement, as the foreground is a smeared image of a chopper motorcycle, with a leather-clad couple on board.

New Threads

Top Bottom