• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drop those zeros

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Drop those zeros people, drop those zero family, drop your negative thoughts, welcome in the new year!
What are your thoughts?!?!

I’m happy to be able to make it to the new year. It’s been a great year for me. It started out very rough, but got better later on. I am happy to see all my progress follow throughout 2024.

I'll let the kids know they're being cut loose :tearsofjoy:

But seriously, I was recalling the life I had in the country before this one. I won't say it was easy - I had no idea I was autistic at the time, everything just seemed very hard - but I had a level of confidence. I don't remember feeling confident, but I recall specific conversations and I guess my mindset. I was different. I just believed differently, assumed differently. That was about 6 years ago. Like I say, it wasn't perfect because the autism was not clear to me and things kept going awry. But I was much better than I am now, mentally.

So I have to recognise that moving country, my wife's health issues, the challenge of the kids being on the spectrum, covid, and the increasing impact ASD has had on my life in terms of larger burn-outs, etc. has all had a very poor effect on my mental health. In short, I've aged 15 years in 5.

And without wishing to sound like I find myself a hero, I've never taken the time to actually come up with a realistic plan. It's been day to day. I've not had a break, it's been a fight every single day here in Australia, from the second we landed, it has been a fight. And each day I never tended to the wounds because there wasn't space, there wasn't time. And the cost has been high. I look old, I feel old and, for the first time in my life, this place has made me feel defeated. The corruption, nepotism and grifting made me feel like it was all over, that I could never succeed.

So, my promise to myself for this year: no more day-to-day. I WILL find that confident guy again. I WILL look after my health. And so help me god I WILL grab this country by the throat and beat it. I refuse to lose to a bunch of landlords, real estate agents and cowboy tradies. I have the information that I never had before about my ASD; I know my strengths, I can forgive my weaknesses. And I have enough of a platform now, despite being robbed time and time again by this place, I have enough space to build something and build myself. I can reach that tipping point, I WILL reach that tipping point.

ETA: Not my birthday, by the way

In so many ways it's a bloody hard country to live in, culturally, that is. And yet, I find it stunningly beautiful and captivating, in it's natural beauty. Not that I have anywhere else to compare it to.
It seems to me, I might be, finally, catching a break, with an upside to being an Aussie, having been disadvantaged enough to qualify for help. And, yet, I can't help thinking that, if it were more of a culture that celebrated my particular talents, I wouldn't be so disadvantaged. I guess I'm a bit too weird and sensitive. I'm not giving up though, with the help on its way, I might just get to thrive yet, AND find a niche in contributing to "Aussie culture" once again.

It's a reason to try and move on with my own happiness. Even if I need to take ADHD meds to level some stuff out and get my thoughts in line more, instead if the chaotic hurricane it all normally is.

It's a reason to try and move on with my own happiness. Even if I need to take ADHD meds to level some stuff out and get my thoughts in line more, instead if the chaotic hurricane it all normally is.
I'm going to try them. I'd love to find a way to ease up my chronic ADHD symptoms. I was recently diagnosed with "combined types" ADHD, but, I am having to wait many months to see a psychiatrist to get meds to treat it. I'm looking forward to some relief though. What a life! 51 years of this utter chaos and overwhelm. It would be SO NICE to finally have a break from this madness and incompetence that is my ADHD crazybrain.

I'm going to try them. I'd love to find a way to ease up my chronic ADHD symptoms. I was recently diagnosed with "combined types" ADHD, but, I am having to wait many months to see a psychiatrist to get meds to treat it. I'm looking forward to some relief though. What a life! 51 years of this utter chaos and overwhelm. It would be SO NICE to finally have a break from this madness and incompetence that is my ADHD crazybrain.
I would really like to try what it feels like to have my ADHD medicated, or maybe it's better that I don't know, I'm in my psychiatrists words, one of the rare cases where he didn't want to prescribe medicine, as none of the options are safe for me due to other conditions with my health.

To the original topic of this thread, @Aspychata I like the idea of dropping the people and thoughts that doesn't mean anything to us. I think it is hard to do thou - but it is good to remind our self to spend our short time we have on this planet with the things that are important and positive :)

You are right. I have started writing down the positive things I can feel about myself.

(added - And a lot of positive focuses upon one night in June, 1968, when my future spouse accepted me and kindly quelled my anxieties about possibly ruining our friendship when I asked her to make love. Little did I know that she was eagerly hoping that I would ask. But I was a virgin, so just didn't know what to expect.

Last edited:
For 2024, I expect to have about the same levels of optimism and self acceptance that I’ve had for 2023. I fully expect to have the same difficulties with the same people who troubled me last year. I will continue to think things through and arrive at conclusions that irritate others, and expect others to respond to my efforts almost precisely as they did in 2023. Inflation will continue to ravage my expendable income and, like 2023, I will be significantly poorer by year’s end.

Unlike 2022, but like 2023, I will end the year with far better relationships within my family. Unlike 2023, my 2024 will end with far less dependence on acceptance and approval from my online autistic ‘peers’. No doubt, my 2024 will be more enlightened by the knowledge that, my autistic difficulties aside, the world really has gone off its rocker and knowing this will comfort me in my efforts to be content in the midst of the general foolishness.

IOW, bah humbug to expecting a calendar turnover to make any tangible difference in my life; life continues on in its same trajectories. Maybe, however, I should try a resolution to cease being a realist and allow people their comforting imaginings. Nah, who am I kidding?

For 2024, I expect to have about the same levels of optimism and self acceptance that I’ve had for 2023. I fully expect to have the same difficulties with the same people who troubled me last year. I will continue to think things through and arrive at conclusions that irritate others, and expect others to respond to my efforts almost precisely as they did in 2023. Inflation will continue to ravage my expendable income and, like 2023, I will be significantly poorer by year’s end.

Unlike 2022, but like 2023, I will end the year with far better relationships within my family. Unlike 2023, my 2024 will end with far less dependence on acceptance and approval from my online autistic ‘peers’. No doubt, my 2024 will be more enlightened by the knowledge that, my autistic difficulties aside, the world really has gone off its rocker and knowing this will comfort me in my efforts to be content in the midst of the general foolishness.

IOW, bah humbug to expecting a calendar turnover to make any tangible difference in my life; life continues on in its same trajectories. Maybe, however, I should try a resolution to cease being a realist and allow people their comforting imaginings. Nah, who am I kidding?
For what it's worth, I, very much, like you, and don't find you irritating. We are very different, but that doesn't disturb me in the slightest.

New Threads

Top Bottom