• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driving licenses and driving cars

Twiet

hello y'all

So I am 18 and legally allowed to drive now in Belgium, after I get my driver licenses that is but whenever I practice I get so tired after a while I just have to stop and then I instantly fall asleep. So now I am wondering if this happens for you as well or if it is just something personal, and what your driving stories are.

Twiet Have only recently begun driving again, after thirty-five years or so of not driving. Find myself very tired after I drive, as the stress of constantly paying attention to the road and other drivers, pedestrians, bikes, delivery vans, is continually present. Perhaps with time and driving until it simply becomes second nature will make it more tolerable.

I am 32 and never had my license, I had my permit for a year but I cannot ignore the facts, in a bad situation I will freeze. That defines doom to me.

I'm 30, had my licence since I was 18. Driving makes me tired too.

I think it's the constant focus that sucks the energy out of me.

And I cant drive in cities, it incites panic.

I'm 30, had my licence since I was 18. Driving makes me tired too.

I think it's the constant focus that sucks the energy out of me.

And I cant drive in cities, it incites panic.

So maybe it is not narcolepsy it maybe just that the combination of getting barely any sleep at night and driving that makes me fall aspeel right after.

Driving gIves me so much anxiety or even being a car it takes me a while to calm down after
I'm told that I'm the worst "back seat driver ever", I am constantly watching the speed to make sure no law is being broken. #RuleLovingAspie

Never had a license, never even learned how to drive a car. My anxiety is bad enough taking public transportation.
That's interesting...I never use public transport - noise and stink and people. I'd much rather trust myself than anyone else. Maybe driving would suit you better...

That's interesting...I never use public transport - noise and stink and people. I'd much rather trust myself than anyone else. Maybe driving would suit you better...

I would be way too scared to handle a car. Too many controls, and too many things to go wrong with it. Plus, my vision is really bad in that I'd only be able to get a restricted license, daytime driving only.

Last edited:
I was refused a driving license when I was 25, they said due to my disabilities I would not be able to control a car, and because I used to (and to a lesser extent, still do) have anger management issues, I'd be a candidate for "road rage".

I don’t usually get too tired while driving, but I have noticed a possible contributing factor. In a way, driving is a social interaction, there is a certain amount of interaction with other drivers, as well as anticipating what other drivers will do. I know that complex social situations have always tired me out, and the sane could easily apply to driving. However, I’d also still reccomend seeing a doctor as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom