• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drivers with Autism Encouraged to Put Extra Info on License

I would not have that on my drivers license. I also have a Idaho concealed weapons license. If I get stopped, the officer runs my license plate, knows who I am and knows that I have a CWL. I get treated a little differently because of that. Add on that I am autistic and what is he going to think? Wow, a autistic guy with a gun! Given what the average person knows about autism, he may approach my vehicle with his gun drawn.

Judge makes a very good point about insurance. I can certainly see how they make think that your a little more of a liability and raise your rates or even cancel your policy.

I would not have that on my drivers license. I also have a Idaho concealed weapons license. If I get stopped, the officer runs my license plate, knows who I am and knows that I have a CWL. I get treated a little differently because of that. Add on that I am autistic and what is he going to think? Wow, a autistic guy with a gun! Given what the average person knows about autism, he may approach my vehicle with his gun drawn.

Judge makes a very good point about insurance. I can certainly see how they make think that your a little more of a liability and raise your rates or even cancel your policy.

Yeah. Imagine the bureaucracy cross-referencing a CCW permit with autism on one's driver's license. Worse if the media or political groups got a hold of such a thing in an election cycle. :eek:

No way. Few police forces are trained in any way on how to treat people with autism. This seems just like a way for them to target us. In my province, we are considered 'mentally unstable, and mentally ill.' Imagine what that would look like to the police.

Like others said, I don't trust exposing my Aspergers out to the public. This may sound selfish but i think police need to learn that people get nervous around police regardless if they do anything wrong, and learn to not make quick judgements.

Policemen are not to be feared. That is just a stereotype. I repeat,

DO NOT fear police officers.

I got pulled over for a DUI one time and the police officer radioed dispatch and dispatch responded that I was disabled and they let me go. I faced NO CHARGES AT ALL for a DUI. I got off scott free and I had an open container of beer in my lap. The worst rumor i've ever heard about a police officer in real life was them hitting on women but who cares, that is NOT illegal.

Last edited:
Yep. It's a common stereotype that American cops shoot first and ask questions later, but sadly for some Autistics and even Non-Autistics that has genuinely been the case (I'm sure there's some examples here on this forum).

It’s NOT stereotype. Chicago, and other US cities have a huge problem with this, especially for people of color, or visiably different races. Police shoot and kill while on video camera, for NO real reason, and they are never proven guilty in a trial. Where do you live that you are not aware of such things happening all around the USA?

Policemen are not to be feared. That is just a stereotype. I repeat,

DO NOT fear police officers.

I got pulled over for a DUI one time and the police officer radioed dispatch and dispatch responded that I was disabled and they let me go. I faced NO CHARGES AT ALL for a DUI. I got off scott free and I had an open container of beer in my lap. The worst rumor i've ever heard about a police officer in real life was them hitting on women but who cares, that is NOT illegal.

Shame on you. I would not be proud of that incident. Shame on the police for giving you a free pass. I used to teach remedial education for court mandated DUIs. I sure hope you still do not do that as it puts others in danger.

I agree with @ftfipps. You shouldn't fear police officers. They're just doing their job.

If I lived in Texas, I wouldn't fear the Texas State Police. After all, what law-abiding citizen would fear the Texas Rangers, who have been one of the best law enforcement agencies since Texas was a ton of dirt and desert with a few settlements peppered onto it, and full of bandits?

New Threads

Top Bottom