• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drivers with Autism Encouraged to Put Extra Info on License

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

AUSTIN (Nexstar) - A new public service announcement was unveiled urging drivers with autism to consider applying for a note on their driver’s license that informs law enforcement about potential interaction challenges. The video message informs Texans about the “communication impediment” restriction code.

Samuel Allen, who is on the autism spectrum, said having the marker on his driver’s license feels “like a big safety net,” and makes him more comfortable when he gets in his car.

“If I showed [it] to the officer, they are going to know that I have autism or some kind of impediment that will keep me from communicating properly with the officer,” Allen explained.

Legislation was passed in the last session that took effect in September, allowing brochures and posters highlighting the “communication impediment” code, in large part due to work done by Aspergers101, which Allen’s mother Jennifer founded.

“I’m just a mom of a son with autism that I want him to be protected, and it just happened to be there are open doors to make policy changes that make commonsense,” Jennifer Allen said. She added that she worried about her son being pulled over or having some other need to interact with an officer, and not having the tools necessary to successfully navigate those challenges.

“We can’t rely on other cards and things that they can reach and give to an officer of the law because that could be misconstrued as they’re reaching for a weapon, so if it’s directly on the driver’s license then that is indeed a safety net,” she stated.

In order to qualify, drivers must complete a Physicians Statement Form (DL101) and submit it with a new driver’s license application to your local driver’s license office. Registration is optional. The Texas Governor’s Committee on People with Disabilities (GCPD) has worked alongside Aspergers101 and the Texas Department of Public Safety to include the “communication impediment” phrase on licenses of drivers who qualify.

“As families are finding out about this initiative they are taking a second look at driver independence for their family member who is on the autism spectrum,” GCPD executive director Ron Lucey explained. “Transportation independence for Texans with disabilities is critical in order for them to participate in the workforce or live independently in the community.”

Allen said he feels at ease driving to work and school, knowing that an officer would understand his perspective if he has an encounter.

“Having that feeling of independence is a big stepping stone for someone with autism or someone with a communication impediment,” Allen explained.

The Allens mentioned the initiative aims to expand to people who have other challenges, like deafness, Parkinson’s disease or a “bad stutter.” The program was endorsed by Dr. Temple Grandin, who is a professor and advocate for people on the autism spectrum, such as herself.

“It is really a good step forward, that the State of Texas has put communication impediment on the driver’s license,” Grandin said. “People who have autism, Asperger’s head injuries, strokes, stuttering, or down syndrome, can all have the problem of being slow to respond, and a police officer needs to realize that he needs to wait for this person to respond, and if he gets kind of aggressive, then the person has a tendency to freeze.”

Lucey said he was pleased the initiative is available to Texans who do not have driver’s licenses as well, like state ID card holders, because, “there’s lots of interactions between law enforcement and Texans with disabilities out on the street.”

The Allens have worked to train police departments as part of the program.

Jennifer Allen said she and her son have worked with DPS trooper recruits in Austin, San Antonio police officers and various other departments statewide, “for them to understand that communication impediment does not mean and aggressive behavior.”

She said she hoped to work with lawmakers in the next legislative session to include the “communication impediment” information in the system that officers use to run license plates, with the idea that they would know the driver might have a difficulty with communication before even being pulled over.

An example of a "communication impediment" note, listed on the back of a sample driver license. (File photo)

Samuel Allen informing people with autism that they can add extra info to their driver's license (Aspergers101 Photo)

Samuel Allen drives near the office where he got his driver license. Allen is on the autism spectrum and has a "communication impediment" restriction note on his license to notify officers if he is ever pulled over. (Nexstar Photo/Wes Rapaport)

Source: Drivers with Autism Encouraged to Put Extra Info on License

“We can’t rely on other cards and things that they can reach and give to an officer of the law because that could be misconstrued as they’re reaching for a weapon, so if it’s directly on the driver’s license then that is indeed a safety net,” she stated.

Does this worry anyone else???

Does this worry anyone else???

Yep. It's a common stereotype that American cops shoot first and ask questions later, but sadly for some Autistics and even Non-Autistics that has genuinely been the case (I'm sure there's some examples here on this forum).

I had to renew my license on my birthday that just passed. I did this (even made a post about it in the past)... I fear these people too much.

I have seen and read way too many bad cop stories...
I do think it is helpful because it tells them I have some issues (mine always show up as extreme nervousness) and I don't like to talk so that just makes everything worse...

I KNOW I may get some flack over this... and I fully KNOW there are wonderful policemen and women out there... BUT what is the ratio of truly good policeman/women to bad cops?

I just often see such ARROGANCE in their actions, and its so obvious some of them are on a power trip. It makes me sick actually. I want to respect them, but when they cross that arrogance threshold all I want to do is become the most stubborn human being they have ever had to deal with in their whole life.

In my quirky remark... That is something I have noticed and dealt with all my life (Cop or not)... When anyone gets highhanded with me and gets above me, I become this bull headed guy that will and has taken a frikkin beatings (in real life) before I will deal with them... Is that ASD? Or just me being an ass? Its like something in my head just locks down and its not going to unlock until they do whatever they have to do... I guess that is called a communications gap or issue.

Don't know if that would work here. People would tell me if I'm autistic, then I shouldn't be driving.

Well if an officer tells you that, you should report them. If you've passed your tests to get your license, got your MOT and Insurance all sorted and keep your car in full working order, then you've earned the right to drive.
Until it's proved otherwise that you can't, having the Autism label is not a valid excuse for anyone to deny you your right to the road - officer or not. If people in wheelchairs and with other physical disabilities can earn the right to drive, why not you?

(Please note I'm not trying to sound aggressive with what I've written, and apologies if it comes off that way).

Last edited:
Well if an officer tells you that, you should report them. If you've passed your tests to get your license, got your MOT and Insurance all sorted and keep your car in full working order, then you've earned the right to drive
Until it's proved otherwise that you can't, having the Autism label is not a valid excuse for anyone to deny you your right to the road - officer or not. If people in wheelchairs and with other physical disabilities can earn the right to drive, why not you?

(Please note I'm not trying to sound aggressive with what I've written, and apologies if it comes off that way).

I'd rather not risk it.

It seems like a good idea at first glance, maybe worth considering, but I don't think this is going to solve everything. Police officers here in the US can and do make mistakes from time to time, and those mistakes can be pretty tragic...plenty of examples if you're paying enough attention. That uniform doesn't exempt them from the human condition, and I dread to think what a officer has in store for someone with a so-called "communication impediment" on a bad day.

Oh, and I just so happen to live in the state of Texas, and the two times I've been pulled over there weren't any issues on my end or the officer's. It went something like this: gave my driver's license and proof of insurance, let the officer work their magic, got the ticket and was on my way. Was clearly responsible for both counts, so no complaints there. Can't speak for everyone obviously and perhaps my time is due, but that's been my experience so far.

Last edited:
Don't know if that would work here. People would tell me if I'm autistic, then I shouldn't be driving.

So just because your ASD then you don't have a right to drive???

IF you have proven your ability to legally do so who has that right?

Its going to be a really tough day for the person who dares to tell me that... I am the kindest person I know of... Until anyone tries to take what little freedom I have rightfully earned away from me...
I am in no way a "fighter" until someone dares to take a swing at my personal freedom that I have worked so hard to obtain.

Deep in me there is a rage that never needs to be released. It was built on years of abuse and being told I was nothing... I pray no one ever opens that door. At that point I wont have any freedom left. I will be in some straight jacket in a padded room somewhere, or shot dead on the street.

It seems like a good idea at first glance, maybe worth considering, but I don't think this is going to solve everything. Police officers here in the US can and do make mistakes from time to time, and those mistakes can be pretty tragic...plenty of examples if you're paying enough attention. That uniform doesn't exempt them from the human condition, and I dread to think what a officer has in store for someone with a so-called "communication impediment" on a bad day.

Oh, and I just so happen to live in the state of Texas, and the two times I've been pulled over there weren't any issues on my end or the officer's. It went something like this: gave my driver's license and proof of insurance, let the officer work their magic, got the ticket and was on my way. Was clearly responsible for both counts, so no complaints there. Can't speak for everyone obviously and perhaps my time is due, but that's been my experience so far.

My only problem is every time I get stopped I am very obviously shaking and that makes them deeply suspicious. I cant not shake... Its what i do when I get upset, whether I am upset with myself or someone else... If I deserve the ticket thats all good, and I have deserved every ticket I have gotten, but not some of the treatments I have gotten. One of the worst was from a lady DPS officer... I wont say what I really think she is... : )

So just because your ASD then you don't have a right to drive???

IF you have proven your ability to legally do so who has that right?

Its going to be a really tough day for the person who dares to tell me that... I am the kindest person I know of... Until anyone tries to take what little freedom I have rightfully earned away from me...
I am in no way a "fighter" until someone dares to take a swing at my personal freedom that I have worked so hard to obtain.

Deep in me there is a rage that never needs to be released. It was built on years of abuse and being told I was nothing... I pray no one ever opens that door. At that point I wont have any freedom left. I will be in some straight jacket in a padded room somewhere, or shot dead on the street.

Unfortunately, some people still believe that. My own parents were some of them recently. I asked my mom how Temple Grandin gets to all her events and my mom said someone probably drives her. I read in one of her books that she drives and I corrected my mom and she didn't believe me for a while. I'm also so "high functioning" that most people don't believe me when I tell them I'm autistic anyway. And sometimes I do need to pretend I'm not just to get by. If that information was on something as public as my driver's license, anyone could see it and be like, "So she's retarded?" and some people have to comment on EVERYTHING. Even "normal" people sometimes can't keep things to themselves.

Unfortunately, some people still believe that. My own parents were some of them recently. I asked my mom how Temple Grandin gets to all her events and my mom said someone probably drives her. I read in one of her books that she drives and I corrected my mom and she didn't believe me for a while. I'm also so "high functioning" that most people don't believe me when I tell them I'm autistic anyway. And sometimes I do need to pretend I'm not just to get by. If that information was on something as public as my driver's license, anyone could see it and be like, "So she's retarded?" and some people have to comment on EVERYTHING. Even "normal" people sometimes can't keep things to themselves.

I do understand how you feel...
My situation (because I shake so bad) it can be helpful... I guess when things ramp up its my only way to deal with stuff other then a full shutdown and GOD knows that might get my license pulled... So I just try and avoid any confrontations I can and IF my license can help in that situation I dont give a crap what they think about me otherwise... : )

My only problem is every time I get stopped I am very obviously shaking and that makes them deeply suspicious. I cant not shake... Its what i do when I get upset, whether I am upset with myself or someone else... If I deserve the ticket thats all good, and I have deserved every ticket I have gotten, but not some of the treatments I have gotten. One of the worst was from a lady DPS officer... I wont say what I really think she is... : )

That doesn't surprise me one bit. IIRC police officers are conditioned to pay close attention to body language...and much as I hate to say it, they like to operate on assumptions sometimes. Well, here in the states from what I've seen o_O

I get that it's a dangerous job and that one wrong step can lead to a catastrophe, but really?

Last edited:
That doesn't surprise me one bit. IIRC police officers are conditioned to pay close attention to body language...and much as I hate to say it, they like to operate on assumptions sometimes. Well, here in the states from what I've seen o_O

I get that it's a dangerous job and that one wrong step can lead to a catastrophe, but really?

To Wildcat and everyone else,

Please
don't get me wrong... I know and I believe (with ALL of my being) there are wonderful people at all levels of law enforcements and governments... There has to be, or we would be living in an even worse nightmare.

Its just like anything else the few rotten..... apples can make the whole basket stink...

ASD is no different!

If we go out screaming and throwing fits, causing huge scenes everywhere... That burns that picture in peoples minds... Not that some people can help it... It just happens.

It also happens because "so called" ASD organizations post pictures and videos of very low functioning people (to get into deep pockets) and leave all of us more "normal" ones out in the cold with the same stigma as the pictures and videos that were burned into peoples psyche...

It all comes down to we live in a fast changing world, where people are overwhelmed at nearly every level. Our gut instincts are simply no longer in line with the HONOR of the GIFT of LIFE.
We fix that, we cured about every problem on the face on the planet... : )

I would not do it. There are bad people out there who like to take advantage of people on the Spectrum. I know that not everyone does. Most people just leave us alone. But people in power often don't. I am a small person. I would not want to show extra vulnerablity ..........

Adding one's neurodiversity to a drivers license means likely means formally publishing it on a motor vehicle record as well. Which means exposure not only to state and federal bureaucracy, but private sector auto insurance companies whose underwriters wouldn't think twice to leverage this against future or existing policyholders. Even if it were explicitly against the law.

Where business entities employ established ways to legally skirt accusations of discrimination. No differently than a prospective employer who would make sure to find another reason for turning you down for employment.

No thanks. The more data you provide an insurer, the more they will be apt to use it against you, no matter how it may be presented.

The state of Texas might mean well in theory, but anything that inherently increases exposure for an insured whether regulated by law or not never sits well with insurers in practice.

Last edited:
Adding one's neurodiversity to a drivers license means likely means formally publishing it on a motor vehicle record as well. Which means exposure not only to state and federal bureaucracy, but private sector auto insurance companies whose underwriters wouldn't think twice to leverage this against future or existing policyholders. Even if it were explicitly against the law.

Where business entities employ established ways to legally skirt accusations of discrimination. No differently than a prospective employer who would make sure to find another reason for turning you down for employment.

No thanks. The more data you provide an insurer, the more they will be apt to use it against you, no matter how it may be presented.

The state of Texas might mean well in theory, but anything that inherently increases exposure for an insured whether regulated by law or not never sits well with insurers in practice.

Its too late for me, because obviously I have already done this... BUT, if they abuse that information I would guess that there would be masses of very vulturous lawyer types who would love to have a feast on something like this... Not that I would (ever in a million years) want to be involved in a nightmare like that...

Its all give and take... And this information is to offer a Officer a courtesy (BEFORE HE EVER SEES MY LICENSE) because it is also recorded and "tagged" with my vehicles license plate... So yes, it is "shared information" within the State. That INFORMATION simply states I "might" have some trouble communicating with an officer... The only way to get this is by way of a simple medical form. We cant just have it put on the license because we want it, or don't want it. It is directly tied to our physician and (in my case) I see that as a huge plus, because my doctor would probably go to hell and back for me... He likes me. I never cause him any trouble - ever.

There are zero details given on the license. I know that for a fact because of what was filled out and its a very simple one page form from my doctor... Mine said NOTHING about ASD, its states I have "mild" SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) instead... My drivers license has no specifics at all.

So IF an officer does do something to me... with that on there, (and it linked to my Doctor)...
I would think the officer would be in a world of hurt really fast.

I see that this works both ways... I was honest with them, now they need treat me with dignity or fight to keep their job... Should it ever come down to that.

This is why I WILL NOT get a CCP (concealed carry permit)... They get very aggressive with people who have them here, plus I'm not a gun freak like the rest of my family. My uncle has been in several instances with officers, where it was pretty intense, but he's a big man, who is maybe way too loud and intense himself sometimes also...

I am trying to go the other way with ALL of this. I am trying to preserve what little I have of my dignity in a legal and honorable fashion. I am in no way trying to find away around anything, or ask for a free pass. Just treat me like I'm human (a little messed up human) and its all good... : )

Its too late for me, because obviously I have already done this... BUT, if they abuse that information I would guess that there would be masses of very vulturous lawyer types who would love to have a feast on something like this...

More than just ambulance-chasing lawyers. State insurance regulators. It's their job to aggressively seek out such discrimination and violation of state insurance laws. If they can. I've dealt with them in routine state audits. However from personal experience (California) I can tell you that doesn't necessarily deter insurance underwriters from executing their primary task. Where it simply becomes a matter of mechanics in skirting around the law if done properly.

It really comes down to the degree of government regulation and ability to close loopholes along with a state's individual litigation environment. With some jurisdictions functioning better than others. And there are still companies out there who may be well prepared to violate the law in their own corporate interest. Some will get away with it and others will get caught red-handed. Something I've witnessed as well many years ago. It happens.

I'd much rather have such identification be something not tied to your MVR. Something that is documented and regulated directly through state and local government without any private sector participation or interference. Sure your medical service provider knows, but neither will they be stopping you on the street for much of any reason as could someone in law enforcement.

Last edited:
I'd much rather have such identification be something not tied to your MVR. Something that is documented and regulated directly through state and local government without any private sector participation or interference.

I agree with you 100%... Not 150% or 1000% (referring back to one of my last hacks at life posts)

I do wish the information was "super confined." I didn't do this on a whelm. I discussed it with my doctor emailed him the forms... He emailed me back and said, "NO... in most cases he would not be for me doing this, BUT because I shake so badly at times THAT was why he was all for it..." He went on to explain that he felt we should leave the ASD out of the description because in his professional opinion the SPD is where the shaking comes from...

I have a very visible issue when I'm upset. I have had it all my life. I simply cant stop shaking until the situation has passed and sometimes its pretty bad... of course depending on the circumstance. I also NEVER become unable to communicate or anything like that unless I go way back in my past and disclose some full shutdowns (which I no longer have and are now a non-issue).

So literally (in my specific case)... This was done as a protection measure for me, basically regardless who gets the information. I have had only 1 ticket in I have no idea how many years, but I have been stopped quite a few times and given warnings. I haven't had a wreck since I rolled and totaled my Jeep Wrangler in a severe ice storm in 2006 (no ticket given?). I remember that because the Jeep was a 2006 (that sucked). I have zero criminal record, nor anything in my medical records that would ever cause me public harm... So, I'm okay I think... I feel better doing it, than not doing it. And its just an option, no one is forced and IF I didn't shake so badly I WOULD NOT DO IT!

Plus, there are people who do watch out for people abusing this stuff, and I hope they are always wise and fair in how they act and do business. I have to have some level of faith in humanity... Otherwise I'm not sure why I need to even be here at all... : )

-
Plus, there are people who do watch out for people abusing this stuff, and I hope they are always wise and fair in how they act and do business. I have to have some level of faith in humanity... Otherwise I'm not sure why I need to even be here at all... : )

Just understand that with insurers it's all about the perception of increases in exposure. Which translate into only two things. Increased premiums or declination/rescission/non-renewal. They're responsible to their board of directors and shareholders first and foremost. And the bottom line on their balance sheet.

Humanity isn't part of the process other than perhaps an underwriter doing a favor for a particular independent insurance agent (if the company isn't a direct-writer of insurance). If you are dealing directly with your insurer, you have no subjective leverage. No effective way of appealing to their humanity with a favorable outcome.

Something to think about under the circumstances. Having an independent insurance agent who will be your advocate in the event of a loss. That is the 15% in savings companies like GEICO are most often referring to. The money saved by cutting out the middle man- an independent insurance agent. But with it goes any sense of anyone advocating for you the policyholder.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom