• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dominic

theaspiebirder

I have a friend who I know well, and who I think I can trust, but he says he gets bored of me talking about certain things, and but I dunno what else to discuss? Should I let him talk, or what? Should I plan every aspect of my conversation beforehand?

As aspies I know its hard to determine when we are talking too much about our interests, but it might be good to talk to this friend about what its like to have Aspergers and to let them know that it can be hard for us to determine when we are talking too much. But that also means on our end understanding that sometimes we do talk too much about our own interests. But its good to let the person know that this can be hard so that they can be prepared for that. I don't think you need to plan the conversations before hand but just being aware of his feelings on certain topics.

You might want to make up rules for yourself about how much you can talk about a certain topic in a conversation (like how many sentences about it you can say). This way you can still talk about it some, but you also keep your friend from getting too upset with you.

Letting him talk when you remember to would probably be a big help during the conversation itself. When I hold conversations, I occasionally realize that I am talking a bit too much about something/myself. I try to stop when I realize this, maybe even by forcing myself to suddenly ask the other person a question about themselves like how they are doing (or something simple like that). This always makes me feel really awkward because of the immediate transition between discussion topics, but it is still probably better than nothing.

New Threads

Top Bottom