• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Doing something crazy after being bedridden for so long

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Cancer has been a big cloud over my life for many years now. I am curious about doing something big.

You know how people sometimes do something crazy like swim the entire length of a river from the headwaters, or learn to skydive, or something like that when they are very ill?

I want to do something like that.

Here's where I am. I am in a wheelchair. I live in a very hilly area, so it is an electric one. I go to the gym every week and although my legs are still weak and I can't go far, i'm getting to the point where i don't need the chair as much as i used to.

I want to do something wild in a wheelchair, like hike a trail or go down the side of a highway for several miles.

Since my home is in the hills, my chair is an "HD" model, so it can take gravel roads and uneven paths. I am curious, has anyone ever gone from one side of a state to another or like hiked a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail, camping out in the wilderness along the way, in a wheelchair?

I want to do some backpacking in the wilderness, but here's where i am with that. My chair can go 5 mph and can go 11 miles without needing a charge. That's not very far. What if I used a manual chair? How far has anyone gone in a manual chair? What is the record?

I am so sick of my house, I'm sick of my bed. I'm sick of being sick. I want to get out and do something exciting and push my body to the limit.

If you know of anyone who's done this or that, let me know, because my internet search pretty much pulled up nothing other than some paralympic type games. But I want to be in the wilderness.

(There is a part of me, very strong and fierce, deep inside, that even though I can't walk very much, just wants to get out of bed, stand up, and walk, and force myself to walk as I get dizzy and not stop, and just do it til I collapse. And then get up tomorrow and do the same thing. I'm tired of my gilded cage. If it came to it, I'd rather die fighting than in a shadowy, boring bedroom, where I spend most my time.)

Last edited:
Try Cole Sydnor hes nearly not quite quadriplegic but they do short nature walks Login • Instagram his wife charisma helps she's rehabilitator of for spinal injuries but is studying and working with Cole

Last edited:
Find the antique car club, specifically the Model T Ford club. The Model T is a rough, primitive sort of vehicle, but it's the best kind of terrible, and they're fairly easy to drive--3 pedals, one big lever that's both your gearshift & the parking brake, and two little levers up on the steering column for the spark control & the throttle. They also came with mostly padded upholstery up front.

There's probably someone in the Model T club in your area who can teach you how to run the thing & might be able to let you pilot one of the old Fords on backcountry roads. I was thinking of the T specifically since you wouldn't have to use a gas pedal, and once it's going you basically are in cruise control except for moving the gas lever up & down for fast and slow driving.

They started putting electric starters on them after about 1919 so that leaves you 1919-1927 Fords that can crank themselves. Also a lot of 1909-1918 models were retrofitted with self-starters too. To start one up is easy--set the gas & spark, turn on the battery, step on the button until it starts up.

It's not a wheelchair adventure specifically, but a Model T is as close to "roughing it" as you can get on four wheels, and I bet I can get in touch with some owners on your behalf that might let you ride along on some of their tours. I'm on the Model T forum* and might be able to help you get in touch with some Ford drivers out your way who could teach you how to run one & maybe, if all goes well, let you ride along (or drive) on some pretty wild adventures.

*because one day I'm owning a stock one, and hope to build an electric car out of a partial Ford chassis one of these days...

Around me there are conservation areas that have trails to overlooks of Lake Michigan for wheelchair access plus wheelchairs are welcome on many paved bike trails in our National Lakeshore. Are there any such areas where you live?

As someone who has done a lot of "walk through the messed up forest" sort of hiking, I just want to stress something: BE CAREFUL.

It aint just a matter of "oh a wheelchair makes it dangerous". It can be trouble for anyone. The more "messy" the trail (or lack of trail), the more risks you take. For someone walking normally, could trip, could sprain an ankle, could break something or fall off a hill (which may not SOUND too bad, but it is when the bottom of that hill is large boulders). For someone in a wheelchair, the big one that occurs to me is "gets stuck". I dont necessarily mean "stuck in mud" specifically when I say that either. Could get a wheel caught in a hole on the ground that you didnt notice, that sort of thing. Be aware also that in some areas, there are hills/paths that a wheelchair simply wont be able to ascend due to how steep it is (a lot of those around my area.)

Definitely do some research first... as @Gerald Wilgus says, you may be able to find trails and such that are specifically wheelchair accessible. Just depends on what's available in your area.

Correct me please if this is a bad suggestion. Can you try inside biking at gym? And possible get strength to get a used mountain bike? I know expenses are tight with a college bound daughter. I also have seen those bikes that sit low to the ground but they look expensive. Could you get a two seater bike and you and your daughter could get out a bit? Please don't be upset if this was a bad suggestion.

There are plenty of wheel chair bound athletes who have found away.

5 Tips to Tackle Wheelchair Hiking - Wheel:Life

But you might be ready try
World Famous Mule Rides | Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Or with a companion you could backpack with a lama, use treking poles and simply go slow. Perhaps hut to hut.
Hut to Hut Hiking: The Best Way to Hike | Moon & Honey Travel

Of course an atv would allow you to get into some back country areas

Or, an idea, use a mule to carry pre-charged wheel chair batteries on one of those hut to hut hikes. (Hut to hut to cut down on equipment.)

Horseback riding would also get you into nature.
As would rafting or canoeing.

With some research we (I would be willing to help) might be able to find an outfit that donates horseback riding or rafting trips to disabled or cancer serivors.

Don't be dismissive of smaller ideas. They can be training ground for THE BIG TRIP.

Last edited:
Remember animals used for riding or carrying usually receive inadequate veterinary care so you could be left stuck in a field as the animal has collapsed,they also suffer verbal and \or physical abuse and will eventually be viewed as meat to be slaughtered after serving faithfully

(There is a part of me, very strong and fierce, deep inside, that even though I can't walk very much, just wants to get out of bed, stand up, and walk, and force myself to walk as I get dizzy and not stop, and just do it til I collapse. And then get up tomorrow and do the same thing. I'm tired of my gilded cage. ...)

As I was reading your post, I started thinking about replying with the first thing that popped into my mind. But, then as I kept reading I saw that you must have read my mind and posted it right there in you post.

I realize that I do not know the details of you situation, so I can't offer any solid advice. But I do know that everyone, regardless of circumstance, has the option to, with relentless perseverance, be absolutely astonished with what you can do.

I see you have the spirit of that little old ant verses that rubber tree plant. Just add action to spirit and it's a done deal. Oops - there goes another rubber tree plant!

Thank you @Yeshuasdaughter for the timely inspiration! I needed that!

You Go Girl!

Just wanted to add, for what it's worth, I have a friend that was dying of stage 4 cancer. She was in her early 40's. While lying in bed she got the idea she want to go for a run. She couldn't be talked out of it and pushed ahead against all the resistance and went for her run. But, she didn't stop. She kept running. Astonishingly, her cancer started diminishing. She kept running - marathon after marathon. Her cancer became undetectable. She is now in her late 80's, still running; still no cancer and has outlived her oncologist.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on wheelchairs in nature, but I do have some experience with wheels in nature. No small wheels. In Norway there have been a few aired expeditions where participants has needed wheelchair, and also I've seen other nature excursion content and 4 quite large bike type wheels seem to be the thing to go for. If you modify a normal wheelchair consider a 3 wheel option extended 3-4 foot in front for better stability that can be fitted to support steering. The T-Ford option sounds awesome. @Misery has good points on the more off roadish aspects of dangers. Take heed, practice a lot before going for the big hike.

Goodspeed :)

Remember animals used for riding or carrying usually receive inadequate veterinary care so you could be left stuck in a field as the animal has collapsed,they also suffer verbal and \or physical abuse and will eventually be viewed as meat to be slaughtered after serving faithfully

That is not really true. It is true for some but far from all. It certainly was not true for the many trail riding outfits where I grew up. Those horses always recieved better care than the young wranglers who worked with the horses.
On a camel riding adveture in Australia we were advised to always care for our animals needs first, because if they are dead, you are dead.
Caveat Emptor.

Regarding animals-- in the first world, they are often treated better.

There is a certain disregard for beasts in some areas; Streetwise has a point but generalizes broadly. Animals on tribal land such as the mules near the Grand Canyon are not treated well, and have been the subject of a number of investigations. (Case in point, the Havasupai Indians aren't very good horsemen.)

However, a great many people are very caring with the animals they own & use. I was fortunate enough to see some horses at work a few weeks ago & they were in excellent health except for one on stall rest (had damaged one leg by acting foolish while in pasture.) There was one that was 24 years old and retired from showjumping that was living a pretty contented retirement too on light duty.

There is no real objection to horses or mules and there's a lot to be said in their favor; as long as they are treated well they are a great deal of fun to be around. Many seem to enjoy the attention.

There are plenty of wheel chair bound athletes who have found away.

5 Tips to Tackle Wheelchair Hiking - Wheel:Life

But you might be ready try
World Famous Mule Rides | Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Or with a companion you could backpack with a lama, use treking poles and simply go slow. Perhaps hut to hut.
Hut to Hut Hiking: The Best Way to Hike | Moon & Honey Travel

Of course an atv would allow you to get into some back country areas

Or, an idea, use a mule to carry pre-charged wheel chair batteries on one of those hut to hut hikes. (Hut to hut to cut down on equipment.)

Horseback riding would also get you into nature.
As would rafting or canoeing.

With some research we (I would be willing to help) might be able to find an outfit that donates horseback riding or rafting trips to disabled or cancer serivors.

Don't be dismissive of smaller ideas. They can be training ground for THE BIG TRIP.
I have been packing with llamas and with goats. I prefer the goats. If you are ahead of a llama they tend to crowd you putting their head over your shoulder. I would have a switch to keep them away as llama breath smells like compost. Goats are far friendlier and seem to like people. Resting I would prop against their flanks and they did not mind. American/French Alpine wethers are nice and can take 60 lb. loads, close to my max weight when backpacking anyway.

I second the notion about trying a rafting trip. If you can find an outfitter that can accommodate you, two spectacular wilderness trips are: Lodore, usually 4 days through Dinosaur National Park through gorgeous canyons and wild geology with some famous rapids. The sight of Steamboat Rock as you enter Echo Park and the confluence with the Green and Yampa is memorable and the Anticline of Split Mountain is breathtaking. Then there is Desolation Canyon, which offers more spectacular scenery and is lively but pleasant for 5 to 6 days. It was well known to Butch Cassidy and a mysterious trapper, Denis Julien, who was there before Powell.

Or, thinking more, there are two backcountry chalets in Glacier National Park, Granite Park and Sperry Chalets that I believe you can hire a horse packer to take you. Sperry is beautiful and when I was there, infested with Mountain Goats. The restroom facilities are in a different building from your bedroom, so you will need to walk around.

I believe also that there are accommodations for wheelchairs in some areas in Yellowstone, and in the Old Faithful area I think that the new Snow Lodge is built to accommodate access and I have seen people using wheelchairs around that geyser basin.

That is not really true. It is true for some but far from all. It certainly was not true for the many trail riding outfits where I grew up. Those horses always recieved better care than the young wranglers who worked with the horses.
On a camel riding adveture in Australia we were advised to always care for our animals needs first, because if they are dead, you are dead.
Caveat Emptor.
It is really true if one animal suffers

There is a certain disregard for beasts in some areas; Streetwise has a point but generalizes broadly. Animals on tribal land such as the mules near the Grand Canyon are not treated well, and have been the subject of a number of investigations. (Case in point, the Havasupai Indians aren't very good horsemen.)

However, a great many people are very caring with the animals they own & use. I was fortunate enough to see some horses at work a few weeks ago & they were in excellent health except for one on stall rest (had damaged one leg by acting foolish while in pasture.) There was one that was 24 years old and retired from showjumping that was living a pretty contented retirement too on light duty.

There is no real objection to horses or mules and there's a lot to be said in their favor; as long as they are treated well they are a great deal of fun to be around. Many seem to enjoy the attention.
It is true if one animal suffers

Could I ask what the word usually means to me it means a lot but not all

If you want to see animals (horses)that are treated well !go to slaughter houses around the world

New Threads

Top Bottom