• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dogs?

May I suggest a shelter/Dog Catcher as a place to get your new pet? These beautiful creatures get put down just because they are not 100% something. I can tell you from experience that these dogs/cats are very appreciative AND you will get a “One of a kind”! I love our mixed breeds, LuLu is precious - she’s Cattle dog/small pit mix and is only 45 pounds. Her giant ears and sweet face will make you smile. Jimbo we got off Craig’s list, ppl were shooting at him, he was homeless and lived in woods. A nice lady posted about him and we rescued him. He’s honestly the easiest dog we have ever had.

Below are all three, the middle one is the only full blooded - we didn’t set out to get him but was blessed with him unexpectedly.

All young, Brown one on the left is 3, other two are 2.
All three a blessing and gets along great. The more the merrier, we have fun watching them play.

Shelters are full of wonderful pets like these!

The kids waiting patiently on dinner :)
View attachment 69445

Hope it’s okau to change this back to dogs instead of fear of dogs etc. I’m literally recovering from being around a dog and cat hater.

I’m still on my search for the dog, or dogs, to adopt. A very knowledgeable vet tech suggested a shelty, for their sturdiness and good temperment. I am leaning toward getting a smaller dog first, like the shelty, & then after seeing how it goes, another so that they can play in the yard together. Guess I’ll need to buy them doggy boots for those super cold snowy days in winter.

Hope it’s okay to change this back to dogs instead of fear of dogs etc. I’m literally recovering from being around a dog and cat hater.

I’m still on my search for the dog, or dogs, to adopt. A very knowledgeable vet tech suggested a shelty, for their sturdiness and good temperament. I am leaning toward getting a smaller dog first, like the shelty, & then after seeing how it goes, another so that they can play in the yard together. Guess I’ll need to buy them doggy boots for those super cold snowy days in winter.

Have you tried the online sites Petfinder or Adoptapet? They basically can connect you with rescuse around the country, just like you have locally. You can just see ones withing 20 miles or 2000 miles. Huge amount of dogs (or cats and some other type pets). You can search by breed, sex, color. etc, etc.

I got my 2nd dog this way. There are basic costs, but seemed to average 400 when I was looking, more if animal was far away and you had to pay for transport. I think that added a few/several hundred dollars more. They are all up to date vaccinated and spayed/neutered.

All the animals I’ve had in the past came from shelters. Except for one. He was abandoned on our propery as a puppy, and showed up thirsty and skinny as we were eating dinner outside one summer evening. He never begged or or whined. Just sat quietly looking at us and wagging his skinny tail. He knew he’d walked right into our hearts. I still miss him. That was a long time ago.

@ForestGumpett I saved your picture; they are gorgeous.

That will be what I do starting this afternoon. Thanks @Tom .

All the animals I’ve had in the past came from shelters. Except for one. He was abandoned on our propery as a puppy, and showed up thirsty and skinny as we were eating dinner outside one summer evening. He never begged or or whined. Just sat quietly looking at us and wagging his skinny tail. He knew he’d walked right into our hearts. I still miss him. That was a long time ago.

@ForestGumpett I saved your picture; they are gorgeous.

That will be what I do starting this afternoon. Thanks @Tom .

Both those agencies are non-profits btw, not rescue centers themselves. They act as intermediaries connecting people with pets thru the many shelters nationwide. When you are interested in an animal you will contact/work with the rescue shelter that has the animal directly.

I really liked it because I had specific desires when looking for a new dog. I had/have a weird idea that getting the same coloring would help the integration process of the newcomer with our existing dogs. This was on my mind as Chihuahuas are often one person dogs by nature but will accept having to share an owner with other Chihuahuas more readily then other breeds (supposedly). I also wanted to keep all females thinking it may reduce potential friction. That part I think is wrong however, assuming all are spayed/neutered. My 4 ladies squabble loudly and more or less incessently (primarily territortal and jealousy issues as well as all four thinking they are the alpha depending on the situation), but at least not harmfully. Chis primarily use psychological warfare. Anyway, so I was only looking for female Chi/Chi mixes with black coloring with a few white spots, which is a rarer color. Even so specific, nationwide I had hundreds of dogs to look at.

The big danger is wanting to get them all. ;)

Hope it’s okay to change this back to dogs instead of fear of dogs etc. I’m literally recovering from being around a dog and cat hater.

I’m still on my search for the dog, or dogs, to adopt. A very knowledgeable vet tech suggested a shelty, for their sturdiness and good temperament. I am leaning toward getting a smaller dog first, like the shelty, & then after seeing how it goes, another so that they can play in the yard together. Guess I’ll need to buy them doggy boots for those super cold snowy days in winter.
I would go out to several different breeders that are on a nice amount of property... spend some time with the different breeds, throwing balls, petting and just sitting with them. You will get quite a view into what each is like. I love my Portuguese Water Dogs.... They melted both my husband and I with their personalities. The breeder we bought from allowed us to spend a nice amount of time there, on their 30 acres just getting to know the dogs.

Each dog breed has their own quirks. Porties are very social and have served as a special bridge to socializing with others for me. But because they are very social, they need a lot of time with you, and love other dogs/dog parks. Our lives are a 50 50... we make sure they get as much consideration for their desires, as we do for ours, and because we love them so/and being active, it doesn't bother us one bit that they ask to go hiking and they ask (yes in a different way they request that too) to go to the dog park. They also want to sit alongside of any friends that come over (prior to pandemic) and feel those people are their friends as well.

lol... Only dog lovers are invited into our house/property.

I would go out to several different breeders that are on a nice amount of property... spend some time with the different breeds, throwing balls, petting and just sitting with them. You will get quite a view into what each is like. I love my Portuguese Water Dogs.... They melted both my husband and I with their personalities. The breeder we bought from allowed us to spend a nice amount of time there, on their 30 acres just getting to know the dogs.

Each dog breed has their own quirks. Porties are very social and have served as a special bridge to socializing with others for me. But because they are very social, they need a lot of time with you, and love other dogs/dog parks. Our lives are a 50 50... we make sure they get as much consideration for their desires, as we do for ours, and because we love them so/and being active, it doesn't bother us one bit that they ask to go hiking and they ask (yes in a different way they request that too) to go to the dog park. They also want to sit alongside of any friends that come over (prior to pandemic) and feel those people are their friends as well.

lol... Only dog lovers are invited into our house/property.

Have you seen that video of the dog that a city guy was taking to the city dog park via a bus occasionally, and one day the guy couldn't find the dog at home... and you may have guessed it, the dog took the bus on his own to the park. :D The bus driver recognized him and the dog knew where to get off. The guy found him at the park later thinking he might have ended up there.

@DogzSpirit Interacting with all the breeds of dogs I like would take a long time. :)
Your dog family sounds great. I don’t really have people over here so the dog who lives with me needs to be okay with that but also handle walks and slow runs at the parks. I will get good training from a friend who is an instructor.

Tom Wow the owner must’ve been so relieved and then could enjoy the amusement of what his dog got away with.
My mom’s weimeraner used to get into the postman’s truck, (because, at first, of dog biscuits), ride around the block with him and then be deposited back home.

@DogzSpirit Interacting with all the breeds of dogs I like would take a long time. :)
Your dog family sounds great. I don’t really have people over here so the dog who lives with me needs to be okay with that but also handle walks and slow runs at the parks. I will get good training from a friend who is an instructor.

Tom Wow the owner must’ve been so relieved and then could enjoy the amusement of what his dog got away with.
My mom’s weimeraner used to get into the postman’s truck, (because, at first, of dog biscuits), ride around the block with him and then be deposited back home.

Haha, that is very sweet. :) One of mine will go and jump in the UPS truck when it pulls up to our house. She knows Henry the driver (who also gives her a treat).

It may be hard to find a specific breed at the rescues, unless you want a Pit mix or Chihuahua mix. They are overloaded with those. But it may work out if you are patient, check often and are willing to wait. A Shelty sounds like a nice match in many ways and I think as a herder would be fine with the exercise. I did have one problem running with a different herder (a friend's dog, a English Sheepdog). She wanted to drive me to run in tight circle. Sweetest dog and wouldn't hurt a fly, except when the herding instinct kicked in. Used to bloody me and my friend's ankles every time we tried. But I think that was probably a exceptional case or breed specific.

Yes. A family member had a herding dog (I forget the breed’s name). It was huge and white and weighed probably 110 lbs., sweet as could be. Except on our hikes to the creek. Then she had an agenda which demanded us to hurry up with our swim and get out butts back to tue cabin.

Our local shelter has almost all their cages filled with pit bulls. Tomorrow though I am going to visit with a special needs dog who is deaf, a german shephetd mix.

Great video story. :)

Here’s a rescue dachsund who manages to run with his long distance running mom.
From Rescue to Running: Truman, the Ultramarathon Doxin

A German Shepherd sounds great for the walks, good protection too. A friend had a deaf dog and taught her hand singles and she did great - it will take patients on your part but all of them do. Many have been through a lot - our big guy had a couple of teeth knocked out before his first BD, this is how those dirt bags “trained” . This was done by so called “breeders” of Cane Corso. He has taken more work than the other two, but when I say work I’m really saying extra love and confidence and TRUST! Lots of love is working great. We’re getting a Futon after we move so I can nap with the two big dogs, the litter girl pink eared pit has claimed my husband as “hers” and he’s pretty much crazy about her.

Dogs are great, I’m very happy for you and whatever new dog you get. We went to see one but came home with Lulu, the first one ignored us, Lulu picked me out at the shelter.

Oh, and my husband thought the same as Tom about the same sex not getting along - we were also proved wrong, the two males actually can play better because they are the same size. Dogs work that out between themselves it seem no matter what the sex.

Yes. A family member had a herding dog (I forget the breed’s name). It was huge and white and weighed probably 110 lbs., sweet as could be. Except on our hikes to the creek. Then she had an agenda which demanded us to hurry up with our swim and get out butts back to tue cabin.

Our local shelter has almost all their cages filled with pit bulls. Tomorrow though I am going to visit with a special needs dog who is deaf, a german shephetd mix.

Great video story. :)

Here’s a rescue dachsund who manages to run with his long distance running mom.
From Rescue to Running: Truman, the Ultramarathon Doxin

New Threads

Top Bottom