• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dog people , your help is appreciated please - Update!

Good luck. Sorry. I am useless. Does a heating pad for dogs help? I know cats like them.

Good luck again.

My dog is a Cocker Spaniel Labrador cross (Cockadore). He is 13 1/2 and has arthritis.
He has been on a daily dose of prendesolone, 12 mg, for about 6 months. Our vet here in Mexico and ours in the states has tried him on a variety of NSAiD pain relievers but they do nothing. On the Predenselone he walks fairly well. He does have side effects such as extra thirst and a pot belly but he has only gained 1 lbs.
Anyway he has a new symptom in the last two days and I am not sure if it is a problem. His toungue, normally pink has suddenly turned brownish red. Is this a side effect of the Prednesolne or could it be heart issues?
We will get him into the vet a.s.a.p but the vets here do very little in the way of diagnosis.
Any thoughts you might have would help a lot!
Tiggy and I thank you!

Long term use of steroids can lead to water retention and a heart condition. I had a dog that Was treated with dexamethasone for seizures, and the drug caused congestive heart failure. I would talk to the vet about your concerns.

@Mary Terry, I had a Great Pyranees cross that lived to 15. He was a giant of a dog with the sweetest heart. (150 Lbs!). Mo never had any health issues and had almost all of his teeth when he died. We kept chickens and he would let them snuggle into his fur to keep warm. You never forget the good ones!
The big dogs, the guardian dogs, are often the best. We had a Bernese mt dog who lived to 16, which is like a Methuselah for that breed. He was the perfect nanny for our children and he raised a foundling kitten with patience and tenderness.

Powerful dog who loved to pull things. He once straightened out the D-ring on his collar when I hooked his leash to the trailer hitch of my car. Didn't need a sled in winter, just loop the handle of the leash around your hand, connect the other end to a harness, and let him drag you through the snow.

New Threads

Top Bottom