• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does it annoy you if you start seeing holiday-related stuff months beforehand?

Neah, I just think "Ugh, oh god, are you serious?"

Halloween in August and then Christmas in October, sometimes at the end of September.

What saddens me is the celebration of materialism. There is no other tradition I know of where the winter solstice celebration is supposed to mire the celebrants in debt the rest of the year,

I think the custom of giving gifts for Christmas arises from the three wise men or kings bringing gifts to baby Jesus. The true spirit of Christmas is generosity, not materialism.

It used to annoy me. But seeing the same premature cycle of promotions that come and go like clockwork for so many years now has made me feel indifferent to it all.

Though it does amuse me that "Black Friday" promotions seem to be ebbing more rather than flowing, thanks largely to online sales. Getting patrons to clamor into the stores on holidays is not what it used to be.

Gosh yes. I’ve come to reluctantly accept that Christmas season starts in November, but seeing Christmas-themed ads and stuff in September is ridiculous. Don’t they at least still have Halloween to market on?

Gosh yes. I’ve come to reluctantly accept that Christmas season starts in November, but seeing Christmas-themed ads and stuff in September is ridiculous. Don’t they at least still have Halloween to market on?
Halloween starts right after Labor Day here. It is still freaking summer. :eek:

The only holiday that should be celebrated year round is Halloween. The best Christmas movie is Jack Frost, about a killer snowman.

Seriously, though, I once worked retail during Black Friday, and people were carnivorous feral animals that day. I will never look at Christmas the same way again after that.

The only holiday that should be celebrated year round is Halloween. The best Christmas movie is Jack Frost, about a killer snowman.

Seriously, though, I once worked retail during Black Friday, and people were carnivorous feral animals that day. I will never look at Christmas the same way again after that.

I have never been shopping on Black Friday - I can't stand the traffic, crowds, and greed.

A really good Halloween movie or BBC TV show is Agatha Christie's Hercule Peroit. The episode called "Halloween" is spooky!

Last edited:
I have never been shopping on Black Friday - I can't stand the traffic, crowds, and greed.

A really good Halloween movie or BBC TV show is Agatha Cristie's Hercule Peroit. The episode called "Halloween" is spooky!
Agatha Christie's Poirot (ITV)might be found on PBS in the USA or CBC Canada or Britbox ,Acorn(both subscription)

I think the custom of giving gifts for Christmas arises from the three wise men or kings bringing gifts to baby Jesus. The true spirit of Christmas is generosity, not materialism.
The three gifts represent Jesus on earth, Gold -kingly rule, frankincense
oil is very expensive ,purity,wealth,anointing oil ,myrrh for suffering ,myrrh is very bitter .

The three gifts represent Jesus on earth, Gold -kingly rule, frankincense
oil is very expensive ,purity,wealth,anointing oil ,myrrh for suffering ,myrrh is very bitter .

I had a chance to smell frankincense one time and it was the most beautiful scent I have ever encountered. Unbelievably lovely fragrance. Like jasmine, magnolias, and gardenias.

I had a chance to smell frankincense one time and it was the most beautiful scent I have ever encountered. Unbelievably lovely fragrance. Like jasmine, magnolias, and gardenias.
I wonder what it's properties are ,if it's a preservative ,I think it was used in Jewish burial rites.

I wonder what it's properties are ,if it's a preservative ,I think it was used in Jewish burial rites.

That makes sense. It is an aromatic gum resin containing a volatile oil that is used in incense and perfumes. It was valued in ancient times in worship and as a medicine and is still an important incense resin, particularly in Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches. It is harvested from a particular kind of tree in Africa.

I love the Christmas season- all the lights, the baking, the carols. But I also love Halloween and the crisp autumn air around Thanksgiving. Seeing Christmas stuff up already sometimes makes me legitimately mad, because I feel like I'm being rushed, not having a chance to really savor the seasons. My work starts decorating for Christmas a few weeks before Thanksgiving, and usually starts the carols on Thanksgiving, which I absolutely hate. I want to enjoy Christmas, but it's too soon!

Yes it annoys me. I think a month is plenty for having Christmas, Easter or other products out and decorations up. Plenty. I find it just another part of us being pushed to buy, buy, buy. I don't have any upset over the fact that it happens in terms of religion - though I don't personally celebrate xmas or Easter.
I would be happy to see more from other religions, too. But keep it sensible. I don't need to see Santa set up in the shopping centre at the end of October. I have been called a grinch before but I don't think I am. :)

It does start way to early, and is wearing very thin by the time Christmas actually comes around. But as I rarely ever watch TV, never listen to the radio and don't go out that often, use adblock to block online ads, I don't have that much exposure to it, except when I go to the supermarket. It's there, but I don't have to buy it.

You should try Fragonards Emilie perfume it is divine I went to the hq in grasse southern France and bought the metal flagon oil form

You should try Fragonards Emilie perfume it is divine I went to the hq in grasse southern France and bought the metal flagon oil form

I'd love to do that. Maybe someday before I get too old, this pandemic will end and I will be able to travel again.

New Threads

Top Bottom