• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does any of this have to do with whether or not im mentally fine?

Oddcampr8292

I am male and 20. Ive eaten junk food for close to 5 years straight.

I got my blood drawn recently and everything was in what my test papers called "normal range" except 3 things which were slightly above the "normal range":

-hemogloblin

-red blood cell count

-calcium level

Keep in mind a "normal range" can be in unhealthy parts of a spectrum. A normal range is just the range where average people are in. So just because those above 3 of mine were slightly above normal range doesn't necessarily mean they were at unhealthy levels.

my glucose levels obviously were in "normal range".

Does any of this imply that my physical health is effecting my mental capacities?

I was emotionally neglected growing up, I was coddled too. I inherited middle class money especially on my dad's side. Might how i was raised be why I am so forgetful and impatient today? I am so impatient that I dont think how an adult is expected to at age 20.

Or was I merely born with one of the forms of ADHD?

Im able to sit still and im not physically hyper active. But i display impulsive thinking by how forgetful I am and I have failed to think things through all the way even as an adult.

I don't know you, my friend, but I do think you are just -- OK, please don't take offense to this.
(readies autistic bluntness)

You was raised as a spoiled kid.

Neglect + coddling = a harsher neglect.

Maybe it's not your fault, but if you don't try to do what you can, then it will be your fault. You're a guy who likely has some great skills as well as some great weakness. I'm sure you'll discover them if you have not already. Inheriting middle-class money can be a real obstacle to practicality.

One other thing: impulsive thinking can be a personality trait, not a mental disorder! Let's not pathologize everyone's individual differences that make the world so very diverse.
Have you taken the Myers-Briggs test?

Even in the Middle Ages they knew there were just different personality types; they called them the "humors" as based on four chemicals they thought were in the body. But while their physical science wasn't as great, their observed psychology, untainted by B.F. Skinner, was absolutely bang-on.

Why don't you try the Myers-Briggs test? It's at 16 personalities, a website that you may find highly interesting.

Good luck, friend! And feel free to stick around, autistic or not. You're already enough of an oddball; we're all kind of oddballs here and you might as well fit in somewhere.

I don't know you, my friend, but I do think you are just -- OK, please don't take offense to this.
(readies autistic bluntness)

You was raised as a spoiled kid.

Neglect + coddling = a harsher neglect.

Maybe it's not your fault, but if you don't try to do what you can, then it will be your fault. You're a guy who likely has some great skills as well as some great weakness. I'm sure you'll discover them if you have not already. Inheriting middle-class money can be a real obstacle to practicality.

One other thing: impulsive thinking can be a personality trait, not a mental disorder! Let's not pathologize everyone's individual differences that make the world so very diverse.
Have you taken the Myers-Briggs test?

Even in the Middle Ages they knew there were just different personality types; they called them the "humors" as based on four chemicals they thought were in the body. But while their physical science wasn't as great, their observed psychology, untainted by B.F. Skinner, was absolutely bang-on.

Why don't you try the Myers-Briggs test? It's at 16 personalities, a website that you may find highly interesting.

Good luck, friend! And feel free to stick around, autistic or not. You're already enough of an oddball; we're all kind of oddballs here and you might as well fit in somewhere.

Thank you :) I will try the test

Your tests are fine. Slight elevations of most things on a single test are not relevant. They won't impact your functionality, esp. when you are young. If there were anything serious your doctor would be giving you instructions and performing follow-ups. And it is your doctor you should be talking to, not a bunch of strangers online.

Normal range isn't a statistical "average." Normal range is healthy as far as modern medicine knows. A high red count usually means dehydration. Less fluid in the plasma means the same number of red blood cells will be concentrated in a smaller volume, hence more cells per milliliter. Since red blood cells contain hemoglobin, that result's not surprising at all. (I am NOT a doctor. I got that from a phlebotomist the last time I had my blood drawn. And I pick things up from my wife the nurse.)

High calcium levels can be caused by too much vit. D and too much calcium in the diet. (Duh!) That is extremely unlikely. But guess what? The most common cause for high calcium levels is... dehydration. Tada!

You can get dehydrated by not drinking enough plain liquids and drinking only soda and/or coffee. (Caffeine is a diuretic. So are artificial sweeteners.) Alcohol is very seriously dehydrating. That's what causes hangovers from being seriously drunk.

You did say you eat a lot of junk foods? A LOT of people are chronically slightly dehydrated because of the nature of the modern diet and our lack of exercise. We're no longer in a state of nature where we can simply trust ourselves to drink enough and while junk liquids satisfy the thirst, they are less effective at hydrating.

My own non-medical prescription for you would be lots of exercise and replace the junk fluids with good stuff like water and the occasional sports drink with electrolytes after a hard workout. Save the caffeinated beverages for the morning. I think you may find that as your physical condition improves, so will your mental condition.

And see your doctor if you want real medical information.

Last edited:
Your tests are fine. Slight elevations of most things on a single test are not relevant. They won't impact your functionality, esp. when you are young. If there were anything serious your doctor would be giving you instructions and performing followups. And it is your doctor you should be talking to, not a bunch of strangers online.

Normal range isn't a statistical "average." Normal range is healthy as far as modern medicine knows. A high red count usually means dehydration. Less fluid in the plasma means the same number of red blood cells with be concentrated in a smaller volume, hence more cells per milliliter. Since red blood cells contain hemoglobin, that result's not surprising at all. (I am NOT a doctor. I got that from a phlebotomist the last time I had my blood drawn. And I pick things up from my wife the nurse.)

High calcium levels can be caused by too much vit. D and too much calcium in the diet. (Duh!) That is extremely unlikely. But guess what? The most common cause for high calcium levels is... dehydration. Tada!

You can get dehydrated by not drinking enough plain liquids and drinking only soda and/or coffee. (Caffeine is a diuretic. So are artificial sweeteners.) Alcohol is very seriously dehydrating. That's what causes hangovers from being seriously drunk.

You did say you eat a lot of junk foods? A LOT of people are chronically slightly dehydrated because of the nature of the modern diet and our lack of exercise. We're no longer in a state of nature where we can simply trust ourselves to drink enough and while junk liquids satisfy the thirst, they are less effective at hydrating.

My own non-medical prescription for you would be lots of exercise and replace the junk fluids with good stuff like water and the occasional sports drink with electrolytes after a hard workout. Save the caffeinated beverages for the morning. I think you may find that as your physical condition improves, so will your mental condition.

And see your doctor if you want real medical information.

Thanks for rhe input. Ill be seeing my doctor about it

Whatever it is, you got this; we can all do more than we credit ourselves with ability for.

New Threads

Top Bottom