• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Documentary Thread

The Food That Built America - Cookie Wars

Watching it right now, it's a series about the history of different food brands in the US, it's very interesting.

Just finished watching "Ariel Phenomenon". It's about the UFO incident in Zimbabwe in '94 in which dozens of school children encountered a UFO and supposed alien beings during recess. Worth a watch if you are a skeptic of UFOs and aliens in general. The warning message the beings communicated to the children about the dangers of our advanced technology on our environment and the human race .. Can't really deny how true that is at least. Good watch.

Last edited:
The warning message the beings communicated to the children about the dangers of our advanced technology on our environment and the human race ..
Amish aliens...!?
(Also, isn't their vehicle an advanced technology??
full
)

Last edited:

Now this is one documentary that is worth sitting through for four and a half hours.

Amish aliens...!?
(Also, isn't their vehicle an advanced technology??
full
)
I'm guessing they mean that currently humans haven't found a way to advance our technology without destroying our environment and ourselves. Also keeping in mind this is what the young children relayed.. young rural kids who didn't have the full knowledge and vocabulary to express what was probably communicated to them, thus the message sounding more rudimentary. But still made sense to me.

Last edited:

Now this is an intense documentary. 9 1/2 hours well spent. I finished watching it a couple of hours ago. I went from anger to sadness to astonishment, often all at the same time. This is probably the single greatest documentary I have ever seen.

Last edited:
I just watched a docu-drama presented by the National Geographic Channel titled "A Small Light".

I thought it was excellent. It followed the events of Miep and Jan Gies, a couple who were friends to Miep's employer Mr. Otto Frank and his family. They were Jews and former German citizens, forced into hiding as they were unable to leave the country fleeing the Nazis in 1940. Miep and Jan Gies hid the Franks and other persons in the attic of the building she worked in for two years before they were discovered by the Nazis.

It was Miep Gies who made sure that after the war, the diary of Otto Frank's daughter Anne was returned to him.

Unlike all the other presentations of those living in the secret annex, this story focused on Miep and Jan Gies, who risked their lives to save Jews, particularly the children. Equally it was a harrowing portrayal of everyday life of citizens living under a forced occupation by a totalitarian state.

Recently found myself re-watching an episode of Seconds From Disaster - a series that explored natural disasters and human disasters that cost lives; exploring the chain of events that led to the disasters themselves.
The natural disasters that the show covered included the Super Tornado Outbreak in 1974, the Mount St. Helens Eruption in 1980, the Kobe Earthquake in 1995, the Galtür avalanche in 1999 and the Asian Tsunami in 2004.
The human disasters included the Chernobyl Meltdown in 1986, the fire at Piper Alpha in 1988, the Mont Blanc Tunnel Fire in 1999, the crash of the Concorde in 2000 and the September 11th Terrorist Attacks in 2001.

The episode I ended up watching was about the crash of Flight 232 in Sioux City back in 1989. While I did watch the full episode, there is an "abridged" version here.
Be aware - if this kind of documentary scares/upsets you, don't watch the video below:

Crash Landing At Sioux City

The episode I ended up watching was about the crash of Flight 232 in Sioux City back in 1989. While I did watch the full episode, there is an "abridged" version here.
Be aware - if this kind of documentary scares/upsets you, don't watch the video below:
Wow. Yeah, who can ever forget seeing an airliner full of human beings cartwheeling when it hit the ground?

And to think of all the DC-10s I flew years ago. :eek:

Wow. Yeah, who can ever forget seeing an airliner full of human beings cartwheeling when it hit the ground?

And to think of all the DC-10s I flew years ago. :eek:
At least there were survivors of that incident, and the pilots did well considering the damage that the exploding jet engine did to the plane.

Yeah I don't know if he played poker but he should have. He had a stone cold poker face. :) Some of the stunts and things he did in his movies was pretty amazing.
I’ve always found his face to be very, very expressive. He just didn’t smile.

I’ve always found his face to be very, very expressive. He just didn’t smile.

Yeah I guess people had to have expressive faces in silent movies, I just think he could have done well playing poker. :) He could have a really good poker face if he wanted to I think.

Yeah I guess people had to have expressive faces in silent movies, I just think he could have done well playing poker. :) He could have a really good poker face if he wanted to I think.
Other silent era comedians were way too expressive, I think. They were very hammy which is one reason Keaton “translates” so well with modern day viewers. He behaves like a normal person.

Buster loved playing bridge! Does a person need a poker face for that? Bridge face.

Other silent era comedians were way too expressive, I think. They were very hammy which is one reason Keaton “translates” so well with modern day viewers. He behaves like a normal person.

Buster loved playing bridge! Does a person need a poker face for that? Bridge face.

Maybe he loved bridge because he had a good bridge face? I'm not sure if that's a thing. :) But anyway, he certainly was talented. There is a scene in Steamboat Bill Jr. where he accidentally walks into a rope that goes upwards at an angle and then he manages to slide up the rope, it's a very short scene but it really cracks me up.

New Threads

Top Bottom