• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Doctor says I need 'exposure therapy'

I saw doctor and she says I must start making myself go to places where there are people. She says a little at first and build to more time. I am supposed to do it every day.

Everything I do is to avoid being around people. This is the most opposite. I think this will be terribly difficult but I think my doctor is right and I agreed. She says things that bother me now will bother me less or not at all after enough exposure to them because my mind will adapt. I may not be quoting her correctly but that is I think, what she means.
I think it's always good to start any therapy with realistic expectations. I am sure that if you can brave being out of your comfort zone your will learn to at least tolerate it more over time but there will always be issues that affect you to some extent, especially if there a lots of other stressors in your life. It's a bit like being a balloon. With enough effort you can begin to stretch, and the more effort you put in the more you can stretch; but if you overstretch, pop! We all have our limits. Having said that, without daring to step out of our comfort zone we will never truly know what they are.

What your doctor has suggested sounds less like "exposure therapy" and more like just plain "exposure". To be therapy, it would have to be conducted in a carefully controlled environment. It sounds as if your doctor is just telling you to "get out more" but has no idea of what kind of damage could be done if you encounter unpleasant people or situations while you are following that advice.

What your doctor has suggested sounds less like "exposure therapy" and more like just plain "exposure". To be therapy, it would have to be conducted in a carefully controlled environment. It sounds as if your doctor is just telling you to "get out more" but has no idea of what kind of damage could be done if you encounter unpleasant people or situations while you are following that advice.
From what I remember of doctors always Seem to say I just remember that bit from that lecture at medical school it's obvious the doctor should really say go and get mental health therapy they're not really qualified to be telling you to carry out exposure therapy on your own

I have made my response too long. I am very nervous, too much anxiety every day. My doctor thinks if I go out and am more social it will help me be calmer when I am alone. On my own I am not improving so I think I must take her advice.

I'm interested in this part of what you said, because along with the way you describe being out and mixing with other people, I find it hard to understand how following your doctor's advice will help you with an objective of 'being calmer when you're alone'.

I understand that your reaction to people may be different from mine, but for me, being forced (whether by someone else or myself) into social situations would create the kind of stress that being at home, isolated and alone, would still take an age to come down from.

even if your sensitivity to public spaces and people could be reduced by exposure, which is certainly possible for some, though probably not for all, it would take some time to accomplish.

Given your wish to be calmer when alone, I'd be inclined to think about activities you could engage in which are more relaxing and which help you de-stress, rather than forcing something stressful on yourself.

As I see it, home, on my own, is my sanctuary. It's where I know I can go and be safe and unwind, so in your situation, I would look to build on that strength, not try and build on a weakness.

In your shoes, therefore, if it were me, I'd look at what makes me feel most comfortable and under control. I'd stay home, put a stack of books to read on the coffee table, turn on a favorite radio station, and settle down to read for a few hours in the evening or over the weekend. Once that has de-stressed me so I feel like I can breathe and feel comfortable, I might then go out and see how I managed in and around others, knowing I could always hurry home, pick up a book and turn on the radio to help come down again if it didn't go so well.

I'd suggest you find your equivalent of being home alone with a book and a good radio station, and build on the comfort that can give you.

What to our doctor is suggesting is uneducated, ignorant and potentially dangerous. They are suggesting that we return to the dark days of aversion therapy, what else does he suggest, holding therapy?

New Threads

Top Bottom