• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do your conversations with new people go like mine?

That's pretty much mine as well. Unless it's related to some specific thing that I want to know about, or they do. Usually the second part of the conversation is asking them about something, if they are not interested in it then the thing ends. But if they want to talk, in response then I'll listen.

Yeah. It can happen...

Though one can always put it to a test of sorts and go into a longer, more detailed conversation, just to see how the other person responds. ;)

About what unless it's about technology or Star Wars I usually have nothing to say about my day except that I took a walk which I think they find boring.

I am asking this because during Church today especially during the greetings which I hate more than anything people talk amongst themselfs and two guys just said hi shook my hand and that's it. After which I saw a guy talking to a girl with ease even talking after the service while I really talked to no one.

After which I listened to WWV a time shortwave station on 5000 kHz and Soma FM Drone Zone especially Sunday when they play the really depressing long Ambient music.

I am now watching Big City Green on Disney+ which listening to the same favorite songs on Apple Music which I do when depressed that and Drone Zone.

Last edited:
I read a book on social skills and it talked about this problem. It's solution was to use what it called "inspirations." Whatever you say, you make sure to include something that may "inspire" the other person to say something. It could be a question or a comment on something specific, like an event or activity. Something for them to go on. Just saying "I'm good," would not qualify as one.

Well, here's the question: Do you WANT to talk to people more? Is that something you'd actually like to do?

Yes I guess if you were to say something about the service, asking a question, you might have a slightly longer exchange in the greetings? Like, "I am not sure what the reading from the book of John meant, fully, what was your take on it?". Or whatever applies.

I can see why you may want to use this greeting to start a conversation, as it is a structured opportunity to speak, where people are already engaging with you. Do you have any friends at church you can speak with?

Yes, that pretty much sums it up with most new people I meet in a social context. Don't meet many new people, though.

Yeah I'm pretty bad a keeping a conversation going.
I read a book on social skills and it talked about this problem. It's solution was to use what it called "inspirations." Whatever you say, you make sure to include something that may "inspire" the other person to say something. It could be a question or a comment on something specific, like an event or activity. Something for them to go on. Just saying "I'm good," would not qualify as one.
What book was that?

I just tell puns. This is what makes interacting with me an acquired taste; it's also not a great way for facilitating anything beyond surface-level acquaintanceships.

Yes I guess if you were to say something about the service, asking a question, you might have a slightly longer exchange in the greetings? Like, "I am not sure what the reading from the book of John meant, fully, what was your take on it?". Or whatever applies.

I can see why you may want to use this greeting to start a conversation, as it is a structured opportunity to speak, where people are already engaging with you. Do you have any friends at church you can speak with?
Yes I have a friend Brian and Justin who were not there yesterday who know I have Asperger's matter of fact Justin put me in a private WhatsApp chat with him and is wife after I complain about the Wednesday life group not having any women showing up.

I do one woman who drove me home she lives in New Jersey and she knows I have Asperger's too but she was not there yesterday too.

As I say during LG I can talk to the guys easy in a small group of three and four but at Church with many more people I can't talk as well especially to woman there unless they rarely greet meet then it is few words back and forth and it's over.

Church yesterday was an disaster and for those who are spiritual I felt no present as there were a bunch of new faces which lead to nothing in conversation.

That's about how my in person conversations go. Unless THEY have more to say, because even if I do have more to say I don't. But I can come home and write a long note to them and send via private message and receive responses. And when I see them again it's still the 2-4 sentence conversation.

A propos nothing in particular in this conversation, but the quote just came to mind.

"Do not say anything unless your words are going to improve on the silence"

Yeah I'm pretty bad a keeping a conversation going.
Yes I am not much of a conversationalist unless it is something that interests me and then I am OK. But if it is general chit chat, which to me seems like words for words' sake then I am monosyllabic in my responses.

Chatted with my friend Justin he gave me some tips for small talk. The issue I have is actually doing it where I lock up especially worse with woman.

Also I forgot the worst thing about socializing is the quick stair and look away which I hate especially when woman do it.

Also I forgot the worst thing about socializing is the quick stair and look away which I hate especially when woman do it.

This sounds difficult, but it would be good if you could smile towards the person who does a quick stare at you, they are likely checking if you are interested to chat to them, but if you look away completely or look upset they will probably think you dont want to chat. Could you practice this with Justin maybe?

Okay does anyone have difficulty talking to someone who know? I do during the Sunday service especially that I can't even approach them during those greeting thinking I am going to say the wrong thing or the conversation will go one way and end quickly. I had this happen with people I know.

New Threads

Top Bottom