• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you use tobacco products?

Do you use any tobacco product?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was only 8 when I made 3 vows:
  • Never Smoke
  • Never drink alcohol
  • Never do drugs
I have narrowed that down to 1 vow:
  • I will only ever do prescription drugs (as tobacco, illegal drugs, and alcohol are ALL drugs).
I was addicted to many things over the last 14 years. I have been able to wean myself off of my addictions over the past year. I am now addiction free.
This is the lesson I have learnt.

I've smoked for over 31 years at the time of writing, but I strongly don't recommend it, I've now got breathing difficulties at 48 years old which they suspect is COPD that will gradually get worse and it's main cause is guess what, smoking. This is obviously just one likely bad outcome from smoking over time and smoking will also reduce your general health.

If you don't smoke, please please PLEASE don't ever start, it's effectively a massive multi-billion dollar scam. All the tobacco companies want is your money, they want you to get hooked and they don't give a monkeys about the adverse health effects as long as they can constantly recruit new smokers to replace the dead ones.

If you do smoke please do your best to stop, I know it's extremely difficult and it's something I haven't managed to do despite multiple attempts and with suspected COPD my condition will worsen much faster if I can't stop smoking (I am someone who gave up heroin and crack cocaine over 12 years ago and yet tobacco smoking still eludes me). I don't know about other countries, but there is a lot of support in the UK to stop smoking, including programmes where there's free patches and other nicotine supplements available, it still hasn't helped me stop, but it does help many others. Another possible alternative is vaping and this has helped a massive amount of tobacco smokers stop, although many doctors currently disagree with it because they say that the long term adverse health effects of vaping (if any) have so far not been proven. I will say however that vaping removes all the tar and the most dangerous chemicals that you get from tobacco smoking, so I strongly suspect that it's at least the lessor or 2 evils.

Last edited:
I've smoked for over 31 years at the time of writing, but I strongly don't recommend it, I've now got breathing difficulties at 48 years old which they suspect is COPD that will gradually get worse and it's main cause is guess what, smoking. This is obviously just one likely bad outcome from smoking over time and smoking will also reduce your general health.

If you don't smoke, please please PLEASE don't ever start, it's effectively a massive multi-billion dollar scam. All the tobacco companies want is your money, they want you to get hooked and they don't give a monkeys about the adverse health effects as long as they can constantly recruit new smokers to replace the dead ones.

If you do smoke please do your best to stop, I know it's extremely difficult and it's something I haven't managed to do despite multiple attempts and with suspected COPD my condition will worsen much faster if I can't stop smoking (I am someone who gave up heroin and crack cocaine over 12 years ago and yet tobacco smoking still eludes me). I don't know about other countries, but there is a lot of support in the UK to stop smoking, including programmes where there's free patches and other nicotine supplements available, it still hasn't helped me stop, but it does help many others. Another possible alternative is vaping and this has helped a massive amount of tobacco smokers stop, although many doctors currently disagree with it because they say that the long term adverse health effects of vaping (if any) have so far not been proven. I will say however that vaping removes all the tar and the most dangerous chemicals that you get from tobacco smoking, so I strongly suspect that it's at least the lessor or 2 evils.
Have you ever tried hypnotherapy? Works for some.

Have you ever tried hypnotherapy? Works for some.
Sounds interesting, although I believe there's a mixed professional opinion on hypnotherapy and it's therefore very unlikely that the NHS would support and pay for this treatment in the UK. Also I'm not certain that it is possible to hypnotise me, if anyone can't be hypnotised it probably would be myself.

Edit: I'm thinking of trying vaping again, it was the closest I came to stopping tobacco at least, although a vape still didn't feel half as good as real tobacco. Also despite some doctors being sceptical about vaping, I did notice health benefits after I managed to vape for almost a week once.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, although I believe there's a mixed professional opinion on hypnotherapy and it's therefore very unlikely that the NHS would support and pay for this treatment in the UK. Also I'm not certain that it is possible to hypnotise me, if anyone can't be hypnotised it probably would be myself.
I'm almost certain that our non biased behavior would override any type of suggestive therapy.

I'm almost certain that our non biased behavior would override any type of suggestive therapy.
Well I thought that too until someone hypnotised me. Then I became inteterested and studied it for a while.
Of course if you don't want to accept the suggestions it obviously won't work but I thought the object was to quit smoking?

Well I thought that too until someone hypnotised me. Then I became inteterested and studied it for a while.
Of course if you don't want to accept the suggestions it obviously won't work but I thought the object was to quit smoking?
I tried to hypnotize myself. All of it failed. I was able to hypnotize someone else with hypnotic script. It's kind of evolved now that I just manipulate the environment to force certain social events. I would love to learn how to hypnotize correctly or be hypnotized.

I smoke sometimes and it seems to me that I can control it. as a child, I never thought that I would smoke because it is harmful to health and also it is just disgusting, but because of problems at school and at home, I needed something to calm my nerves and relax. but I do not drink alcohol because it destroys the brain and temporarily turns it into a mash and the person becomes a zombie with animal instincts.

I think it used to be a social norm, but I think most people frown upon it now and that most people who use tobacco wish they didn't.

My doc scripted me some patches but I didn't use them.
I went the first day with an E-cig but decided by day 2 that it was all in or nothing.
No doubt one of the hardest habits I ever had to lose ;)

You may want to read about Canadian kudzu. Heard about it yeasterday from a relative that tried to stop smoking for 40 years. He's been 'clean' for three years now. Of course, I don't know any details. Just a curiosity though.

I did for 16 years. Started cutting down like a month ago, went from 30 (ish) a day rollies to at the most 5 a day and a vape. 30g of tobacco lasted me 3 weeks (we used to go through 100g a week) and then it ran out and I'm just using the vape now.

Really wondering the stories behind the smoking.

Peer pressure is why I started and then I continued because I was addicted to nicotine. Also I enjoyed smoking, but more recently I was actually ready to quit. Whether I ever go completely nicotine free, who knows.

I Quit™ years ago* and now I'm on "replacement therapy" which consists of a vape kit with a dual battery mod (note: it's not considered official replacement therapy or "safe" by the FDA here in the US, to which I'd like to give a fat middle...)

Good stuff, kept me off the pack a day now, and whatever stigma and jokes are left about vaping I could care less about. Not that it wasn't bound to be a joke eventually like anything else popular...

*I sorta lied there...had a real cigarette 2 days ago...it was an emergency

I will smoke a pipe once or twice a year and maybe enjoy a good cigar every once in a while but the total tobacco usage is only around 3x per year. Since I live in a state that allows Medical Marijuana and I qualify for it based on my diagnosis of Autism, I will look into seeing if I can use a vape with cannabis oils.

Me? Never. Cigarette smoke being my absolute, worst sensory issue. Makes having hay fever and other allergies seem tolerable in comparison. :eek:

Last edited:
Quit many years ago, and here and there have indulged on occasion since. Everyone in my biological family smokes, holidays and family celebrations were much like being in the perpetual smoke-filled room of a bar. Unpleasant, and always sick during the holidays.

You may want to read about Canadian kudzu. Heard about it yeasterday from a relative that tried to stop smoking for 40 years. He's been 'clean' for three years now. Of course, I don't know any details. Just a curiosity though.
Thanks,but I'm financially motivated to keep that habit in my past ;)

I buy a lot of cool stuff now with the money I save :)

New Threads

Top Bottom