• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you use tobacco products?

Do you use any tobacco product?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ragnahawk

V.I.P Member
I see tobacco products as a social norm. I was wondering if majority of aspies don't use them. Could be a plus to bring up.

I am allergic to the plant family that tobacco is in.

Smelling tobacco smoke messes me up badly.
Physically, emotionally, and mentally.

Makes my joints ache, my eyes run; I get confused
and morbidly depressed/despondent.

I hold my breath when I pass by people who are smoking.
Or vaping. Or by those nasty big 'ashtray'/butt receptacles
in front of commercial concerns/stores.

Set down my 38 year nasty cigarette habit August 2016.

I always said I could quit any think I wanted to.

That was as far from the truth as I could get.

This time is for good and I'm never ever lighting one again.

Last edited:
I used to smoke a pack or more a day, now I'm almost done with the nicotine patch regimen and I think I'm done for good this time. The habit's definitely broken so that's the big thing.

I used to smoke a pack or more a day, now I'm almost done with the nicotine patch regimen and I think I'm done for good this time. The habit's definitely broken so that's the big thing.
My doc scripted me some patches but I didn't use them.
I went the first day with an E-cig but decided by day 2 that it was all in or nothing.
No doubt one of the hardest habits I ever had to lose ;)

My doc scripted me some patches but I didn't use them.
I went the first day with an E-cig but decided by day 2 that it was all in or nothing.
No doubt one of the hardest habits I ever had to lose ;)

That's incredibly hardcore, going cold turkey. My dad did it that way when he moved to a pacific island where cigarettes were $40/pack (in 1972) but I don't think I could do that, not with temptation 100 feet and $8 away.

I've quit just about everything the world has to offer that's addictive, and tobacco has been the hardest by a very wide margin.

I'm happy to say I quit 36 years ago. Especially since my brother has had throat cancer and my mother has emphysema.
Just the smell of them turns my stomach these days.

In my life, I've probably smoked about a pack of cigarettes...first hand, that is. Mostly in my younger days when I was also a drinker.

Mind you, that's first hand. I've smoked a lot more second hand, thanks to my father. That said, it has been 30 years since he quit - cold turkey.

This province has worked very hard to reduce smoking rates. Sometimes it has weird results. There was the time they prohibited smoking in businesses that allowed minors as customers. The result of that was a bunch of donut shops prohibiting minors from entering, so the government had to prohibit smoking in any business as a result. They've also made it illegal for stores to have cigarettes that are for sale visible to customers, and for stores to sell both prescriptions and tobacco. Cigarette packs run in the $12-13 range here. Smoking rates have dropped noticeably.

That's incredibly hardcore, going cold turkey. My dad did it that way when he moved to a pacific island where cigarettes were $40/pack (in 1972) but I don't think I could do that, not with temptation 100 feet and $8 away.

I've quit just about everything the world has to offer that's addictive, and tobacco has been the hardest by a very wide margin.
I was traveling to West Virginia every three weeks to save some money on them,but then they raised the tax $.65 a pack that destroyed the savings.
Then Pa. went ahead and raised theirs to $1 a pack.

Governor Wolf was the guy that got me to quit :p

I'm probably pocketing about $250 a month in savings over it,so it is all for the better.

I couldn't be a cigarette smoker if I wanted... My eyes are just too sensitive to the smoke. It burns like they are on fire. I tried it years back, trying to be "cool" and just never could understand why I would want to suck that hot smoke down, and then try and get it back out... as I coughed and gagged.
I certainly didn't look cool... I think I turned green.

I couldn't be a cigarette smoker if I wanted... My eyes are just too sensitive to the smoke. It burns like they are on fire. I tried it years back, trying to be "cool" and just never could understand why I would want to suck that hot smoke down, and then try and get it back out... as I coughed and gagged.
I certainly didn't look cool... I think I turned green.
I started with the left handed cigarettes :D

Yep. I have a thirty five year habit. If I didn't, I would be addicted to something else (drink, gambling, spending, class A's)
Something with as great a rush and dopamine hit.

To date I haven't found anything to equal, or come close to that sort of rush without the consequences; (of being drunk, gambling my home, serious debt or out of control on mind altering chemicals.)

I'm not walking around sucking a dummy so I smoke tobacco.

There are consequences to my health which I accept (like I have to walking on the pavement next to increasing queues of traffic -carbon monoxide, additives and preservatives in food stuffs, phone masts and mobile phones, industry and ground pollution) which collectively all add to those consequences just perhaps not as thoroughly researched as the effects of cigarette smoke?

It does smell awful and I've seen the lungs from a fifty year old heavy smoker.
It's not enough to trigger my 'disgust' (which is the only thing strong enough to overide the dopamine hit/habit of thirty years practise and likely to have me quit)

Sensory issues......horrible reactions to it. I had to move out of a house that was smoked in. Lost two apartments for same reason. Serious SPD here.

No, I never have, and have no plans to ever do so. I just feel that there are far too many health risks (to my health and those of others around me) involved. I don't judge anyone who chooses to use them, tho; it's their decision.

Never in my life, nor drugs, nor alcohol... I believe a big part of it comes from growing up in a Christian home where my dad did not drink... Even at age 45 I still have no desire...

Contrary to what the main thesis seems to be, I believe that smoking is increasingly looked upon negatively in comparison to the past

But unlike some comments, being around smoke doesn't bother me that much, it's just a lifestyle choice for me, back in college in the mid 1990's I used to hang out on a regular basis at a coffee shop that had one half smoking, one half non-smoking, never bothered me... Times have changed since then...

A good friend of mine who is a chain smoker, he'll probably never quit

21562077411_3602b5d692.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom