• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think autistic adults can get jobs involving social skills?

I found that as my career evolved, my ability to solve difficult systems issues (organizational as well as technical) invariably put me into projects requiring very specific social skills, principally interviewing and social dynamics. Quite a few of these were politically sensitive, so although I engaged at many levels, there were very few people I actually reported to regularly and a lot of people I only saw for a little while. It worked for me. I'm presently beating a retreat to more analytical work for some relief.

Well right now I plan to apply to graduate school for school psychology. I think that I can do my best to fake social skills and norms; however, I believe I will get tired of it and my facade will crumble. Perhaps I should stick with research.

Utterly off-topic, but I love your avatar.

Both of my jobs require social skills. You have to be a certain level of personable on top of a lot of know-how in taxes to get repeat customers each year, and my first year at it last season already got me a few "I'm with you" declarations. Same with the art thing, you really have to be a level of personable and flexible to earn both new and repeat customers on top of any skillset you have.

So I say, yes, Aspies can get jobs requiring social interaction and do good at it. I am fortunate I don't have to interact with many at a time, and that's where I shine on a social level.

My job requires social skills. I have a lot of generic answers for pretty much every possible question I can be asked. Luckily, most of the time I work with inanimate objects and 2-3 co-workers whom I worked with for years. The times that I am forced to talk to people I don't know or do something I don't really want to I'll usually freak out internally, get nauseous and after I don what I have to I'll shut down.

I'm in a health profession so absolutely, you can be in a job requiring social skills. At the same time, being in one develops those skills so don't be afraid. :)

I evolved from a job that was central to my aspie-ness and made the leap to a more social role, but as a contractor. Contracting, as an employment class, is very good because contractors are expected to be focused on the work and not on office politics and social dynamics. Employers are more interested in the portfolio than the personality; if you have a good portfolio, you have a good-enough personality.

New Threads

Top Bottom