• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you tell people you are on the spectrum?/ASD?/aspergers?

I will tell people whom I will be around on a regular basis (workmates, family, etc.). I prefer them to know in the event that I offend them with something I say or do but didn't mean to offend them. They'll know not to take things personally and will understand I'm not trying to be mean. They'll also have more patience.
That said, I'm extremely high functioning. I can fake "normalcy" - I call it my trained monkey suit. When that is on, people have no clue I have Asperger's. Also, I could care less what others think of me, so have no fears in disclosing my Asperger's to them.

I am very much like you, however Aspie as a label is not feasible/ effective enough. Usually it raises
more questions, so I decided to find a replacement.
Luckily, I am also, INTJ/ Architect type, which has all the right overlapping attributes with Aspergers.

It fits my attitude and my line of work, it also sounds cool and familiar, so INTJ/ Architect works for me.

That said, I'm extremely high functioning. I can fake "normalcy" - I call it my trained monkey suit.

I am very much like you, however Aspie as a label is not feasible/ effective enough. Usually it raises
more questions, so I decided to find a replacement.
Luckily, I am also, INTJ/ Architect type, which has all the right overlapping attributes with Aspergers.

It fits my attitude and my line of work, it also sounds cool and familiar, so INTJ/ Architect works for me.

:cool: I'm an INTJ (as well as INTP equally). But I find it interesting that stating you have Asperger's raises more questions for people. I would have thought the opposite, that because the Myers-Briggs has more to do with personality type where anyone can fit into one of the categories, I would expect that would provoke people into carrying on a conversation about it. Although, I have to admit that people probably aren't that well-informed on what Asperger's is, but thankfully if they didn't know, they just played along like they do and looked it up later, so I wouldn't have to go into the details.
Yet still, although the Myers-Briggs can describe much of my "public" persona, it lacks in the details that a definition/explanation of Asperger's fills in, especially in regards to communication.

INTJP makes you a killer!!! : )

I don`t mention INTJ, I just tell them Architect and then give them the footnotes, so no need to explain the NeuroDiversity stuff.

I have also been using my color codes, It is useful especially when I don`t even want to talk at all.

:cool: I'm an INTJ (as well as INTP equally). But I find it interesting that stating you have Asperger's raises more questions for people. I would have thought the opposite... Yet still, although the Myers-Briggs can describe much of my "public" persona, it lacks in the details that a definition/explanation of Asperger's fills in, especially in regards to communication.

LOL! Before my diagnosis, I DID sometimes think I was a sociopath (even though I never felt like killing anyone). :p

And I also find colors very useful! White is probably the "color" I use most; it's my do-not-engage-me space.

I do not talk about aspergers with acquaintances or friends because I assume they don't know what it means or they have vague ideas about it and might misunderstand me. But, lately, I've been meeting many new people who are very NT. I can see they are beginning to sense that I'm different, and while some are open/accepting or indifferent, others clearly aren't. It frustrates and angers me, but I also understand their perspective as an NT. I know they are reasonable people and I wonder if talking about aspergers would give me some relief from my feeling horribly misunderstood.
What have been your experiences discussing aspergers with friends and acquaintances?

I have only told a few people who have a need to know, including my boss who I think may also be on the spectrum. I have openly participated on an autism forum at work, so presumably many are aware.

Interestingly, I made a couple new friends as a result of my participating in this autism forum at work.

Did tell to slowly get let go from cashier job where l was constantly harassed by male population. Worked a year, but the remarks were so rude. In a tourist location, but my boss never like me. She was told to hire me, she didn't like that either by manager at main store who did like me.

There is a lot of ignorance and prejudice. I think I get a free pass somewhat because I have an established career, and that is probably not fair.

I just battled with it for yrs then when older was tested found the results Autism so don't put out any unnecessary information.

Never again in employment, out of work ATM and have no intention of declaring my Autism, this is based of many negative experiences.

New Threads

Top Bottom