• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk like an Aspie?

but who in their right mind would want the NZ accent!
Funny. My father tells me the BBC used a lot of NZ announcers prior to the EU rules preventing them. There are reasons Kiwis are sometimes said to be more English than the English :)
On the other hand, a few people have told me that they struggle to understand Kiwis, but can understand me OK. I put that down to the time spent overseas, or with them. But maybe being aspie has an influence too.
I tend to be softer spoken. The rest of my family seem to be loud. I think I was more monotone in the past than now. I struggle sometimes with pitch. Sometimes stammer. There are certain words I really struggle to say. And I've always had a problem with pronunciation of 'r' but that brings us back to the kiwi accent. And of course, there are the eye contact issues. And I can only really converse with one person, even if in a group setting.

Last edited:
Well I am from Australia and I people ask me if I am from New Zealand ( now I understand being flattered having an English accent but who in their right mind would want the NZ accent!) anyway it is because I must have a bit of a funny accent - the phyc who assessed me asked if people comment on my speech

When I was young, people thought I was from the south of France because they said I had an accent! That was strange because nobody in my family is from the south! We're all from the North!! But even now I put an accent on the wrong syllable! :rolleyes:

Here we go:

I didn't know what else to talk about so I just read from an article on autism.

Edit* Hey is that not going through? I can't see the link

Last edited:
Sorry to steer off topic, but this got me thinking (thought you smelled something gross? XD) Is it just me or does aspie speech just "kick in" sometimes? I've gotten much better about having more expression and less over-annunciation/ pedantic vocabulary, but when I go into panic mode or am otherwise exited or overwhelmed, it just snaps back in. Next thing you know, I'm speaking rapidly, formally, and emotionlessly- as if I was back in 6th grade. Anyone experience "regressions" to more stereotypical autistic speech and/or thinking process when overstimulated? It's like being a completely different person sometimes.

Yes, I have been told that my voice is monotone and in my diagnostic report it states that my voice is "stilted", whatever that means. I don't always use the correct intonation when I speak. I would never make a good actress. I don't talk as fast and as much as some people with AS do, though.

I do tend to talk too fast and, I can get too loud if I am excited or passionate about what I am talking about but, I do use normal intonations. I am not as bad with the volume as I was as a child, I still talk too fast a lot but, even that is still understandable.

I feel like mine varies. I've been told I have a monotone voice but sometimes I feel very animated, and sometimes I trip over my words or kind of stutter. Just depends on the day.

Sorry to steer off topic, but this got me thinking (thought you smelled something gross? XD) Is it just me or does aspie speech just "kick in" sometimes? I've gotten much better about having more expression and less over-annunciation/ pedantic vocabulary, but when I go into panic mode or am otherwise exited or overwhelmed, it just snaps back in. Next thing you know, I'm speaking rapidly, formally, and emotionlessly- as if I was back in 6th grade. Anyone experience "regressions" to more stereotypical autistic speech and/or thinking process when overstimulated? It's like being a completely different person sometimes.
Yes, this definitely happens to me. Though quite often when I am overwhelmed I find myself with the opposite problem, where I am at a complete lack of words and can barely form a coherent sentence. The pedantic speech often kicks in when I am very excited about a given topic, or I have been under prolonged duress.

New Threads

Top Bottom