• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you say "uh" a lot?

Moonhart44

V.I.P Member
After my therapist pointed it out, I notice even more so that i say it. i notced it in the past but didnt notice the quantity of "uh"s i say. and i think this is why people think i am slow or dont trust me or htink i am not confident in my workplace.

I am wondering if anyone here has a processing filler word like that while they talk. I just say it because I have to plan the whole sentence in my head before speaing it out, so i am just saying it twice haha.

If you can, try without the filler word. Practice being mindful of it in real-time and attempt to train yourself to substitute the 'uh' for a momentary pause of silence, instead. Maybe even think of the word 'pause' and that will represent actual silence for you. Eventually, you may see favorable results. Just keep at it.

Use 'um' and eh?, quite a bit when talking and most people I know and or encounter do. Equivalent to your 'uh', I hear people using these pause markers quite a bit so they can think as you've mentioned. Unless your a sports or news commentator or giving a speech I don't see it as an issue of any sort.

Last edited:
Hmmn, do I? Or...? Yes, I hesitate and use filler words. Also catchphrases, that change when I hear a new one I like being said by a friend or on TV. Politicians do this, apparently. Private Eye says Keir Starmer's use of the words 'ramping up' and, 'unprecedented ' are ramping up to unprecedented levels. Tee hee. And I hear that President Trump uses the word 'loser' a lot. Ironically.

It's a way of getting time to think, I suppose, as has been said. Try changing uh to a more definite word? Like,"Thinking!" While laughing and pointing at Yr head. People will think you are charming, rather than slow...

I say "um" a lot. Like in one video, I said it like, 20 times! :D

I shouldn't ramble so much. I get too nervous, out of breath, and all that...

My mother has told me off for saying "mm" a lot.

My wife talks a lot, as part of her verbal processing, so I need just to indicate that I am still there - thus "mm".

I say it sometimes, it's a space filler and a lot of people do it. I don't really desire to stop since it's such a normal thing. I also say "like" sometimes, but I am trying to not do that anymore because I used to say it even more than "uh" and it got annoying.

Uhm, no... I don't, uh, use that word. Hm. Like, ever. Jokes beside, ain't it only natural to use processing filler words regularily? If you overuse it though, use other filler words or insert dramatic pause ;)

Some examples on how to add some diversion:
  • Uh
  • Uhm
  • Huh
  • Ehm
  • Let me think...
  • Interesting...
  • (short pause)
  • Weeeellll...
  • Okaaaay...
  • That one's tough.
  • (finding a way to label the question directed to you before responding)

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if “uh” is an autistic thing, because many of us have so much trouble with verbal communication. It’s a “filler word” while we try to think of what/how to say what we’re thinking.

After my therapist pointed it out, I notice even more so that i say it. i notced it in the past but didnt notice the quantity of "uh"s i say. and i think this is why people think i am slow or dont trust me or htink i am not confident in my workplace.

I am wondering if anyone here has a processing filler word like that while they talk. I just say it because I have to plan the whole sentence in my head before speaing it out, so i am just saying it twice haha.

I have this problem as well. I ties into he communication and language processing impairments that come with being autistic. I'm stuck saying "um" and "like" all the time. I get caught off-guard with questions all the time, especially when I'm working. Verbal communication and processing language is tough for us.

I don't think I use these words much. I do sometimes, though; especially at the beginning of a sentence. But in general I don't use them, and end up just taking long pauses while I sort out my thoughts.

Join Toastmasters. Ums, Uhs, Likes and Ya knows are forbidden when you're giving and practicing speeches in a Toastmasters group.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom