• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have PDD-NOS?

I have to go and google PDD NOS..... lol...... Im clueless

Undiagnosed -- PDD NOS = Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. Basically, you fit on the autism spectrum, but you don't fit the "profile" of, say, Asperger's Syndrome, or "classic" autism. (But, isn't profiling wrong??) :) I know this because that's what I was diagnosed with a couple of years ago.

Interestingly enough, designations like PDD NOS, Asperger's, etc., are about to go away. The New DSM (Version V), scheduled to be released later this year, eliminates all those designations and lumps everybody with autism and autistic tendencies under the general classification of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Hope that helps. :)

Undiagnosed -- PDD NOS = Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. Basically, you fit on the autism spectrum, but you don't fit the "profile" of, say, Asperger's Syndrome, or "classic" autism. (But, isn't profiling wrong??) :) I know this because that's what I was diagnosed with a couple of years ago.

Interestingly enough, designations like PDD NOS, Asperger's, etc., are about to go away. The New DSM (Version V), scheduled to be released later this year, eliminates all those designations and lumps everybody with autism and autistic tendencies under the general classification of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Hope that helps. :)

Yes and thanks..... not sure why is is seperated now or why it is getting put together but whatever I say labels are just labels anyway

Yes and thanks..... not sure why is is seperated now or why it is getting put together but whatever I say labels are just labels anyway

You're welcome. I'm not sure why the labels are going away, either...but then again, I don't have letters around my name (as in Dr., M.D., PhD., etc.)--those guys (and women) are way smarter than I am. :) And I agree--labels are just labels.

I am really glad you started this forum. I am in my 30s, and a few years ago I was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified. Don't feel alone, many people here have PDD.

Hi Greenlatern
I too was diagnosed a few years ago with PDD. It was a relief to know what was going on with me. I too have frustrations at a job and have difficulty reading body language. I am glad to find this group and people who have similar symptoms as I have. :smug:

I guess the only reason why PDD-NOS is with Anxiety and other category is because of its lack of popularity... I have no other reasonable explanation because it is an Autism spectrum disorder and should be in one category with other Autism spectrum disorders, but I guess the names threads cant be changed... I didn't do much research about PDD-NOS, but yesterday during my son's evaluation I've discussed his diagnosis and the differences between HFA, PDD-NOS and Asperger's and to be honest, there're not that many. basically only 1 creteria will put you in Asperger's category and, again, only one creteria will put you in HFA category.

I guess the only reason why PDD-NOS is with Anxiety and other category is because of its lack of popularity... I have no other reasonable explanation because it is an Autism spectrum disorder and should be in one category with other Autism spectrum disorders, but I guess the names threads cant be changed... I didn't do much research about PDD-NOS, but yesterday during my son's evaluation I've discussed his diagnosis and the differences between HFA, PDD-NOS and Asperger's and to be honest, there're not that many. basically only 1 creteria will put you in Asperger's category and, again, only one creteria will put you in HFA category.

Well, the new DSM (DSM-V), which is scheduled to be released sometime this year, puts an end to all these designations...once the new version is released, Asperger's, PDD-NOS, HFA will all go away, and be replaced with the one-size-fits-all designation of "Autistic Spectrum Disorders." Not sure whether I completely agree with it, or not. :)

During my reevaluation I was told that alot of people with PDD or AS may end up with NVLD (nonverbal learning disorder) which is part of what got tacked onto my dx. Basically after the new DSM I was told that since PDD and AS were being collapsed into ASD those of us with AS might end up with other dx's. I was told I was on the border between AS and PDD NOS and that neuropsych have been splitting hairs over if NVLD is actually AS.

it should just be aspergers the medical board people not sure what to do so they must of come up other wise Specified [ PLEASE ]

its aspergers like i have said the medical board dont no so at a guess they came up with other wise not none

I was told I had Asperger's at 14, a few years later another psychologist decided that PDD NOS was a better diagnosis.

PDD NOS is just a way of saying you are on the spectrum but don't fit into either classic autism or asperger's syndrome.

I was told I had Asperger's at 14, a few years later another psychologist decided that PDD NOS was a better diagnosis.

PDD NOS is just a way of saying you are on the spectrum but don't fit into either classic autism or asperger's syndrome.

And actually, with the release of DSM-V, PDD NOS doesn't even exist, anymore. (And neither does Asperger's Syndrome.) They're all reclassified under the generic "Autistic Spectrum Disorder" classification.

New Threads

Top Bottom