• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have memory issues?

Len Huppe

V.I.P Member
Hi All,

I have had really annoying memory issues since the age of 25. Nobody has ever been able to tell me how or why it happens. Now at 57 I am aware of my Asperger's. I cannot help but wonder if the two are related.

Do you have memory issues? Does remembering to do everyday things get to be difficult? If so what ways have you found to deal with it? I would like to hear from you.

Thank you

Last edited:
I've a memory like a cheese grater. I can forget what I'm supposed to be doing while I am doing it. Provided I even started on whatever it was in the first place, which I probably wouldnt, because I'd have forgotten it needed to be done, whatever it was.

Also tend to lose track of things I'm saying, such as right now, where I've no idea what else I was going to say or where that was even going.

And no, I've never found a solution. It is what it is, I guess, at least in my case.

I've a memory like a cheese grater. I can forget what I'm supposed to be doing while I am doing it. Provided I even started on whatever it was in the first place, which I probably wouldnt, because I'd have forgotten it needed to be done, whatever it was.

Also tend to lose track of things I'm saying, such as right now, where I've no idea what else I was going to say or where that was even going.

And no, I've never found a solution. It is what it is, I guess, at least in my case.

The story that you relate sounds all too familiar. If I find the answer I will share it with the community asap.

Many of us, myself included, find making lists to be essential to accomplish even small seemingly obvious tasks. If I have a lot of things to do during the day I can't complete them without a list for me to refer to and for me to cross off tasks that I complete.

Don't be afraid to use lists even for seemingly obvious things.

Make Breakfast
Take a shower
Mail letter
Mow lawn
Order shoes

Executive functioning challenges play into what you're experiencing. It's a typical characteristic of autism.

When I'm under time constraints, stress, etc it's even more difficult to remember things. When I worked at the office I even had to talk my way through getting ready in the morning or I'd forget to do things and I'd miss steps. I had to think about each step in order to do them whereas for many people it's not even something they think about.

Why do I have difficulty in remembering to do mundane and routine tasks unless I make an effort to be cognizant of them or put them on a list? In part it's because I'm a "full time dreamer" (extra points if anyone can say what movie that line is from). My mind is thinking about anything and everything other than tasks that need completion.

Many of us, myself included, find making lists to be essential to accomplish even small seemingly obvious tasks. If I have a lot of things to do during the day I can't complete them without a list for me to refer to and for me to cross off tasks that I complete.

Don't be afraid to use lists even for seemingly obvious things.

Make Breakfast
Take a shower
Mail letter
Mow lawn
Order shoes

Executive functioning challenges play into what you're experiencing. It's a typical characteristic of autism.

When I'm under time constraints, stress, etc it's even more difficult to remember things. When I worked at the office I even had to talk my way through getting ready in the morning or I'd forget to do things and I'd miss steps. I had to think about each step in order to do them whereas for many people it's not even something they think about.

Why do I have difficulty in remembering to do mundane and routine tasks unless I make an effort to be cognizant of them or put them on a list? In part it's because I'm a "full time dreamer" (extra points if anyone can say what movie that line is from). My mind is thinking about anything and everything other than tasks that need completion.

Thank you for that informative post. I too benefit from making lists. I also benefit from having routines to follow when getting mundane things done. I have seen the forum on Executive Function but I did not make the connection. I will have to look at what that forum has to say. Thanks for the reading tip!

My memory is bad and Gabapentin makes it worse! :eek:

I'm sorry to hear of your struggle. May I ask why you take gabapentin? I work in a pharmacy so I know that it does not work well for everyone. I started taking it a few days ago so I am curious about your experience with it.

Do you have ways of functioning in spite of your condition? Magna's post gives me hope that in exploring Executive Function folks like you and I can find some strategies for living a better life. Don't give up!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear of your struggle. May I ask why you take gabapentin? I work in a pharmacy and I know that it does not work well for everyone. I started taking it a few days ago so I am curious about your experience with it.

Do you have ways of functioning in spite of your condition? Magna's post gives me hope that in exploring Executive Function folks like you and I can find some strategies for living a better life. Don't give up!

I take it for anxiety, which it does help with! What do you take it for?

I think the problem that some of us have with memory, is due to a hyperactive brian, taking in and processing so much. I also have a poor attention span. Many times I have to play back a scene in a movie or re-read a paragraph because my mind was on something else. Sometimes my mind is so busy I am operating on pure autopilot.

I have in the past totally fried the memory in my computer but haven't had any problems with this one yet. @Ezra Glad you decided to stick around. That was some good insight.

Others seem to have a much better memory than I do. They mention stuff that I wrote and completely forgot about.

Minor things like forgetting the names of entertainers/actors. My solution? I don't just let it go. It stew about it until I remember their names. Then congratulate myself for not losing my mind- er uhhhh...memory quite yet.

But then as a senior citizen...I suppose it's par for the course. With or without autism. :oops:

I take gabapentin for diabetic neuropathy, mostly in my feet. The fact that it helps with my anxiety is a bonus. Oddly enough I think that its more effective than any other anxiety medication I have tried. I wish I had tried it long ago.

Minor things like forgetting the names of entertainers/actors. My solution? I don't just let it go. It stew about it until I remember their names. Then congratulate myself for not losing my mind- er uhhhh...memory quite yet.

But then as a senior citizen...I suppose it's par for the course. With or without autism. :oops:

Me too. I think what was their name. Then a little later, it comes right to me.

Hey Fino:
That's good you take care of it. Think l have to be more cautious, l didn't realise someone suffered from it and later l found out. Now l am more careful about my mouth because l really don't wish to add to anybody's anxiety.

Memory is easier if l attribute something to what l am trying to remember. Like to remember this nice lady customer at my job, l use a song. Her name is Gloria, so l think of that song Gloria when l can't recall her name. Harvey Wallbanger is a strange drink - so l think of Harvey sat down with Galliano for a vodka and orange juce. That's all 3 ingredients.

Me too. I think what was their name. Then a little later, it comes right to me.

I guess I should count my blessings that I don't seem to have such issues with remembering far more important things.

At least for now....o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom