• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have an obsession about the weather?

Rob

V.I.P Member
Today I looked to the north and saw some dark clouds. I was anticipating some thunder today, but it is too early in the season. One year in early May I was working at Home Hardware in Golden BC, and the whole building shook from a loud explosion outside - but it came from a freak thunderstorm over the mountains to the east. Spring thunderstorms are less common here but when they do come they are very noisy!

I do but it's the continual waiting game for nice weather. If it's not snowing it's rain or wind or just storm clouds and cold. When it does clear off I really try to get stuff done or go do something and get a pic because I know it won't last.

I love a good thunderstorm. Moved last year to an area much closer to where they can be spectacular!

But hey...this is the high desert. Just getting rain let alone thunder doesn't come easy.

I don't know if my "interest" in the weather is an obsession or a worry. Face it, here in Alabama we tend to get extreme weather, so I try to stay on top of things by looking at radar images, trying to understand how weather works, etc.

Yeah, I got a taste of that just a few days ago. Couldn't stop watching the Weather Channel and wondering how you were doing as that system hit around Athens and Huntsville. Glad you're here posting!

I love a good thunderstorm. Moved last year to an area much closer to where they can be spectacular!

But hey...this is the high desert. Just getting rain let alone thunder doesn't come easy.

I'll trade ya! Yes I like the bridge and sunsets but I don't boat or swim. For a long time I've thought about moving to the dry west where I don't have to wait all winter then wait thru days or weeks of rain to do something outside. Also the low humidity is very inviting, doctors told my dad and I that we would breathe so much easier by moving out there. I'd settle for visiting the bridge once a year while making the rest of my life more productive.

I'll trade ya! Yes I like the bridge and sunsets but I don't boat or swim. For a long time I've thought about moving to the dry west where I don't have to wait all winter then wait thru days or weeks of rain to do something outside. Also the low humidity is very inviting, doctors told my dad and I that we would breathe so much easier by moving out there. I'd settle for visiting the bridge once a year while making the rest of my life more productive.

No thanks. I spent many years near both oceans. I'm in the mountains and the desert here to stay. :)

I do but it's the continual waiting game for nice weather. If it's not snowing it's rain or wind or just storm clouds and cold. When it does clear off I really try to get stuff done or go do something and get a pic because I know it won't last.

We had a terrible winter too. But we are protected here by the Rocky Mountains to the east of us. Golden BC is in between the more mild Pacific climate and the more severe continental climate to the east of us. In a way we are "sandwiched" between two zones. So we do not get the huge temperature shifts they get in Alberta (and I guess Montana also). We are more moderate here.

However the past two days have been warm - say 70-74 degrees F in the past two days, but the rain has come and much cooler temps have come also.

Thanks for your concern. It actually wasn't that bad where I live, but Athens had a bad day. I was thinking about driving over tomorrow to look around, but they don't need another looky-loo in the way.

I am glad things were more calm where you are. When I looked at the pictures on TV it looked like a lot of damage had been done over a large area.
I get sad when I hear of so many fatalities as a result of these severe weather outbreaks. My condolences go to all those affected.

Well, everywhere I've gone, a lot of conversations have been about weather.

You must have skipped the Bay Area and some of their microclimates. ;)

That used to be a standard response where I lived. How's the weather? -We don't have weather.

I obsessively keep track of it. I have SAD, so it really helps to both be able to prepare for a potential depressive (or even manic) episode, and to keep a log to see how it's been affecting me and what to expect in future. So for me, my obsession is quite a pragmatic one. :)

You must have skipped the Bay Area and some of their microclimates. ;)

That used to be a standard response where I lived. How's the weather? -We don't have weather.

Had to look up the Bay Area but you're right. I've never been there. The farthest west I've ever been is South Dakota.

Had to look up the Bay Area but you're right. I've never been there. The farthest west I've ever been is South Dakota.

Well...I'm being a bit humorous about it. I used to live east of Berkeley...in the Diablo Valley. It's very dry, mild weather most of the time, except for a brutally hot summer. I recall one year when it reached 117 degrees...and this is about 30 miles from San Francisco....which can at times be colder in
the summer than the winter along the waterfront. A lot of little and varied microclimates in the area.

But the weather itself...very predictable compared to 400 miles east in Nevada. The cloud formations here are spectacular...and bizarre. And there's four distinct seasons each year instead of two mild ones. This is the high desert, but it's seldom as hot here in the summer as it was in California.

I have a part-time obsession with weather. For this year, it will start soon and end, as it usually does, around Labour Day. After that, the weather turns nice (note: only nice to me; your mileage almost certainly will vary).

I have about a half dozen weather widgets on my phone, so yeah, I think I have a weather obsession! :)

I have about a half dozen weather widgets on my phone, so yeah, I think I have a weather obsession! :)

I can understand that with the flash flood exposure. It can flood here too but not like in Vegas. At least we have the Sierras to create a rain shadow that keeps the rainfall down and the snowpack up. But yeah, if anyone here is headed for the border, we need to know if chains are required before we get there.

I can understand that with the flash flood exposure. It can flood here too but not like in Vegas. At least we have the Sierras to create a rain shadow that keeps the rainfall down and the snowpack up. But yeah, if anyone here is headed for the border, we need to know if chains are required before we get there.
I was watching a show on Netflix about the weather and it had a scene with a lady stuck on top of her car who was rescued by a helicopter on Gowan Rd which is less than 1/2 mile from my house during a flash flood that occurred a few years ago! So yup, we definitely need to worry about flash flooding here.

There are certain ways the weather should be...the nasty and the good. There is a certain minimum level of humidity that must exist. Temperatures below 32 are absolutely unacceptable. After moving 10 years ago, I find myself chronically upset about the weather and I experience bouts of depression over it. I'm not exaggerating. People think I'm complicated and crazy. My daughter is on the spectrum, my brother, my father, and my nephew...maybe I should go in for my own evaluation.

New Threads

Top Bottom