• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a problem with authority?

Yes I do.
For three main reasons:
1. I have trouble following rules that make no sense (So I would never pull a fire alarm without a fire but for school sitting a desk or following a dress code is harder)
2. I have trouble understanding hierarchies like in my head unless there is some reason you would know more about something then me you are equal to me. That has caused some issues.
3. I have had many bad experiences with authority so I have minimal trust in them to care about me and have my best interests in mind.

Scientifically there's been studies that showed that a dress code improved the grades of students but I believe there should be some variation allowed.

Like for us the colors were required, white and black, typically white top and black pants. Fabrics and thickness and variation is essential in my opinion, not to mention I feel it would be like communist times to have such a rule.

Which makes me wonder, is school really all about grades? Shouldn't you learn you can be different and have uniqueness? It's not the army breaking you down then rebuilding you, right? There should be no need of such cruel extreme tactics. Unless robots is all that we are. We aren't delinquents needing to be controlled and modified to that extent [not all of us anyway, and school isn't a specific treatment just for some].

I went through an event which troubled me. I was getting scolded endlessly by a cashier for holding mask filter [which is paper which is commonly used to make mask filters] over my mouth and nose tightly and they supposedly give you a fine if you don't wear a mask. Which is bollocks from a scientific point of view. So I have felt its kind of rigid but I guess for safety the requirement of exclusively the mask more often brings safety than not.

Last edited:
Yes I do.
For three main reasons:
1. I have trouble following rules that make no sense (So I would never pull a fire alarm without a fire but for school sitting a desk or following a dress code is harder)
2. I have trouble understanding hierarchies like in my head unless there is some reason you would know more about something then me you are equal to me. That has caused some issues.
3. I have had many bad experiences with authority so I have minimal trust in them to care about me and have my best interests in mind.

No large organization can function without Indians and Chiefs, even if some of the Cheifs aren't the brightest and are more ego-driven than is good for getting the job done.

Hierarchy has nothing to do with competence. It has more to do with social/political skills and a fair amount of dumb luck. At some point a few decades ago I realized that not only will I never climb in the hierarchy but that I also never wanted to give orders. I am also a total fail in office politics and self-promotion. Once I accepted that I was at peace with myself.

No authority will ever have your best interests at heart. Neither do you have their best interests at heart. Both you and they know this. There is no need to give them any more respect than they give you - although clear insubordination is probably a bad idea. Work is all about giving what you must in order to get what you need.

There's an anime I think you'd like:

Scientifically there's been studies that showed that a dress code improved the grades of students but I believe there should be some variation allowed.

Like for us the colors were required, white and black, typically white top and black pants. Fabrics and thickness and variation is essential in my opinion, not to mention I feel it would be like communist times to have such a rule.

Which makes me wonder, is school really all about grades? Shouldn't you learn you can be different and have uniqueness? It's not the army breaking you down then rebuilding you, right? There should be no need of such cruel extreme tactics. Unless robots is all that we are. We aren't delinquents needing to be controlled and modified to that extent [not all of us anyway, and school isn't a specific treatment just for some].

A school uniform minimizes the visual socio-economic differences between students. It reinforces the school as the primary group identity and not all the other ways we like to divide ourselves. (OTOH, it can be used to visually divide students by year of graduation or some kind of school rank.) Subordination of individuality to group conformity is emphasized. It also eliminates the question of what to wear when you get up for school. Most important, IMHO. is that it prevents some girls from playing off their sexual attractiveness with form-fitting or skimpy clothing.

We didn't have uniforms when I was a kid but there were still requirements regarding coverage and you could be sent home because your skirt was too high or your blouse too tight for example. Sagging pants or long hair on guys would not be tolerated.

I spent some of my later years subbing in local schools in LA and the rules for clothing have been greatly loosened from then.

School uniforms and responding to bells and moving between different teachers and rooms for different classes are all a legacy of the 19th-century Prussian school system which was designed to produce good soldiers and factory workers. You can think of it as an educational assembly line.

A school uniform minimizes the visual socio-economic differences between students. It reinforces the school as the primary group identity and not all the other ways we like to divide ourselves. (OTOH, it can be used to visually divide students by year of graduation or some kind of school rank.) Subordination of individuality to group conformity is emphasized. It also eliminates the question of what to wear when you get up for school. Most important, IMHO. is that it prevents some girls from playing off their sexual attractiveness with form-fitting or skimpy clothing.

We didn't have uniforms when I was a kid but there were still requirements regarding coverage and you could be sent home because your skirt was too high or your blouse too tight for example. Sagging pants or long hair on guys would not be tolerated.

I spent some of my later years subbing in local schools in LA and the rules for clothing have been greatly loosened from then.

School uniforms and responding to bells and moving between different teachers and rooms for different classes are all a legacy of the 19th-century Prussian school system which was designed to produce good soldiers and factory workers. You can think of it as an educational assembly line.
How strange. Male hair? Why can't they have it long like girls do? :c That's a bit upsetting.

If you live in the desert I don't think you can tolerate life without shorts or short skirts. Besides swimming class students just wear a swimsuit, is that actually wrong?

I guess this proves school is not well designed for every future job or everyone. Homeschooling seems less orderly in a specific way.

Last edited:
I usually bypass the problem either with ignorance or calm debate or maybe by trying to sell it. If it does not jive then it is their loss and I might continue or not. I'm manouverable in a way. Not huge issues because I usually find way out by playing along.

Donald Triplett the first diagnosed autist liked to work in military like farm.

Last edited:
I can emulate conformists, but I secretly despise authority and restriction. I can't feel brilliant, unless I do things my own way.

I think the general thing is that humans simplify reality by relying on generalizations and endless simplications which is why they can function in the real world and computers can’t. And things like power and influence and sticks and carrots for rewarding compliance or punishing non compliance with dominant social beliefs are just always there.

Like in Nazi Germany, germans complied with what they were supposed to comply with, because they were rewarded for complying and punished for not complying

Like I am not really sure that the murder of a George Floyd was racism. Guy who killed him was married to an Asian immigrant woman, and his apparent partner was also Asian. Other two officers on the scene were white and black. The other white officer is the only one who questioned what he was doing. Guy who killed Floyd had previously terrorized young white kids with guns drawn for shooting nerf guns and had apparently also dragged an innocent white women without explanation and put her in the police cruiser because she fit the description of someone they were looking for. Plus Floyd was actually on drugs and a 6’”6 former college football player who had worked at the same club as the cop who murdered him. Like no question it was a murder, but I seriously question whether some dangerous hatred of black people was a factor. I mean murder was married to an Asian woman and had a long history of even terrorizing absurdly obviously innocent white people, so maybe it’s racism, but there is really no evidence pointing in that direction, but media, and therefore society, has decided that this is the issue. I mean maybe it is exactly the issue, but is it fair to possibly punish and take away things from someone who just asks logical questions to arrive at what the truth actually is?

Plus there are examples of black cops shooting unarmed white men, one person posted a link where black police shot at an unarmed white guy and killed his autistic son...but these things do not make the news because they do not match the dominant thought pattern of the people who have the majority of control. And statistics about whether or not police target blacks are actually very unclear.

So I am questioning what is going on right now, simply because I do not know if X is true because there is such a jump to judge and accuse. But I am also quite sure that I would not have been able to comply in Nazi Germany with how Jews ate basically evil and deserve to be exterminated.

I question because I can not help it, but questioning can be very, very dangerous and questioning is not a thing that most people do. I do not blame other people for not questioning and just complying, because others seem to just work differently...others seem to typically be focused on their day to day lives and don’t put forth effort trying to understand difficult social things, nor are they very interested in “upsetting the apple cart” if things don’t directly apply to them. But I can not control my need to understand things, which means that, almost no matter what or when and where I exist, I am going to be going against social authority and probably getting punished for this.

Like I do not even know if my suspicions are true or not, I just want to ask questions and I don’t mind at all if people point out things that I do not know or have not considered. But dominant social powers aren’t actually rational, they tend to torment even the most minor even asking of questions, because being in power means individuals, or even social ideas, have power, and having power and authority means that you can efficiently beat down even the most minor or non-compliance without anyone questioning the inconsistent behavior and often simple meanness that power and control tends can sometimes result in.

Last edited:
If one has a title and influence and power and especially social movements and ideas on their side, individuals can do almost whatever they want, beating down people who dare ask questions which might be even just minorly inconvenient for them

This is kind of the ultimate problem with authority. People who have titles and influence and dominant social ideas behind them have very little to stop them from being completely wrong a*holes if that is what they choose to do

Open debate from equally skilled debaters who are moderated by an uninterested moderator and a truly equality minded research element (not conservatives or liberals controlling university research) is more like how things might end up rational. But these sorts of things almost never happen...one side or the other usually has gained dominant control and therefore has the power to torment even victims of their ideas who just manage to be minorly inconvemient

In the past, maybe...although nowadays, I tend to follow my own thing and not get involved as a political agitator or rebel dissident. I'm still a noncomformist. My key issue is anonymity. If I can maintain some level of invisibility, I can get away with anything including disobeying authority figures and gaining some level of control over what I want and what I need in accordance with my skill set. The key is you have to be smart about what you want to get away with in your own corner of the world or society.

I think the general thing is that humans simplify reality by relying on generalizations and endless simplications which is why they can function in the real world and computers can’t. And things like power and influence and sticks and carrots for rewarding compliance or punishing non compliance with dominant social beliefs are just always there.

This is actually what neural networks /deep machine learning is - stick + carrot and they still fail massively. The machines have achieved their own hysteresis.

Last edited:
I respect the authority itself, but not everything the person behind it says or does. This can apply to church, jobs, the police, and the government on a daily basis.

How strange. Male hair? Why can't they have it long like girls do? :c That's a bit upsetting.

If you live in the desert I don't think you can tolerate life without shorts or short skirts. Besides swimming class students just wear a swimsuit, is that actually wrong?

I guess this proves school is not well designed for every future job or everyone. Homeschooling seems less orderly in a specific way.

LOL! Welcome to the 60s. A guy couldn't go to class with hair over his collar or a girl with a skirt shorter than two inches below the knee. (They'd actually measure it if there was doubt. A girl with a short skirt might still be close enough that she'd be allowed to rip out the hem to make it long enough to pass muster.) No form-fitting clothing, no saggy pants. Girls could only wear blouse/skirt or a dress. No pants/slacks/culottes . No t-shirts, guys had to wear a shirt with buttons.

By the time I was in high school it was still pretty obvious who the large-busted girls were. They just couldn't dress to emphasize it. No push-up bras, visible cleavage or tight blouses. No part of the bra could be visible either.

No swim classes. You'd need a pool for that and our school was too poor. If we did it would have been segregated by gender. Cheerleaders? At least their skirts were allowed to be at the top of the knees - after school. PE classes had regular gym clothes but classes were gender-segregated. At the same time, a nude shower after PE or any athletic practice was mandatory. That's unheard of today.

Phys Ed served two purposes. One was to quickly determine who had athletic potential. They would be given special attention during PE and the rest of us would just go along for the ride. (I was always considered the worst in the class and subjected to endless derision by both students and adults.) The other purpose was preparation for military service. It was assumed that most of us would be drafted if we didn't volunteer and we might well end up in Vietnam. When we weren't playing whatever seasonal sport was going on, we were run through a mini boot camp.

The girls had it a lot easier. :)

I won't even get into how bad life was for the neurodiverse. I was suicidal for most of my school years.

New Threads

Top Bottom