• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a learning disorder?

I would love to know more about it ... since it could perhaps help me learn more about myself (I highly suspect I have some sort of a learning disorder, at least in regards to math, statistic and accounting ...so it's either formulas and/or numbers).

I have not been formally diagnosed with a learning disability but I struggle with learning new things. My memory is so bad I can't remember what happened 2 hours ago. I have finished college and got a BS but I would like to go on. But from the years when I was in college I don't remember simple algebra. Very frustrating because I spent all that time learning and now nothing. Even at work I forget simple things and have a fear of being fired because of forgetting something simple. So as a whole this is not related to a disorder but still impacts me.

When I was 7, it was suggested that I was extremely backwards ie learning difficulties and well, at 7, I could neither read nor write and thus, that suggestion seemed accurate enough. I learned to read when I was 9 and found my talent for cross stitching, when I was in my early 30's.

Maths and I, are arch enemies; can just about add up with my hands and do tiny little sums, if I need to. I lost a great opportunity to work in Mark's and Spencers ( the UK) but lost out due to how bad my maths is.

Used to embarrass me, but now I honestly do not give a hoot.

I actually now believe I do not have a learning difficulty, but due to bad parenting in my childhood, it appeared so.

Paradoxically, out of my 3 siblings, who all wen to mainstream school, I am better at speaking and writing ( no, typing lol, for my hand writing is dire).

For me, the bigger the book, the better! I am a classic book worm ( but hopefully not slimy) :p

I did fine in school. So long as I could read it and do it. I don't do well with verbal instructions. And it gets really bad if somebody is rude enough to read out loud what I'm trying to read. That's a bad situation right there.

If you have difficulties with maths and numbers, then you may have dyscalculia. Dyscalculia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have not been diagnosed with any learning difficulty, but when I was a child I had bad handwriting and was slow to write. I learnt new things very easily if they were presented to me visually or in writing, I have a good memory and I was a sponge for infomation, but had difficulty taking in verbal information and tended to switch off and daydream a lot. I was very slow to finish tasks and often had difficulty concentrating in the classroom: slow to copy from the board, slow to write, slow to read, generally a slow worker, although my vocabulary and general knowledge was wider than that of my peers. I never managed to finish before the teacher stopped the activity. The school wanted to move me to the slow learners group at one point because I wasn't keeping up and getting behind, beside behaviour issues. I also had difficulties timing exams and finishing all the tasks on time, even though I understood and knew the material. In the end I did ok on the exams because I was able to memorise the material before the exam and reproduce what I'd learned.

In maths I excelled at geometry and trigonometry, but was hopeless at algebra and solving complex or abstract problems. I also had difficulties organising my work, especially essays for English Lierature, and with poetry interpretation, at which I did very badly. At university I got help and was able to overcome my difficulites in writing essays, but writing by hand was always a problem.

I did fine in school. So long as I could read it and do it. I don't do well with verbal instructions. And it gets really bad if somebody is rude enough to read out loud what I'm trying to read. That's a bad situation right there.

Agree with this, poetry recitals are definitely not my thing!

Learning in general never came easy to me. Maybe stubbornness got me this far. I'm not sure. :confused:

Something I've only recently begun to wonder about...

Last edited:
If you have difficulties with maths and numbers, then you may have dyscalculia

That's what occurred to me when I crawled the web like crazy trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with me - guess I'll have to talk to a student guidance counsellor, which will be pretty heavy steps to take.

I know I have ADD, it's undiagnosed by a professional, but I have it badly. But even still I finished all other schools inside the right timeframe, but now in college I'm flunking the same classes over and over again and I don't know why, and it saddens me to no end.

I also used to think I was massively introverted, but a few months ago I started to think that my problem probably ran deeper than that and that's when I found articles about autism spectrum, and sadly many of that applies to me; but it seems like very few have any trouble with schoolwork. Diagnosing someone if he has autism or not costs a fortune here which is something I'm not willing to spend my money on, since it's at least USD 2.266.

I'm not willing to give up on university because I'm pretty close to graduating, but these darn classes are my Achilles heel. I also don't have time to try to figure out a way how to study so I can pass these final exams, since time is not exactly my friend now - I want to graduate and start to work.

So any success stories are highly valued by me

EDIT: What I wrote in my original post, but erased, was that I've never had any trouble with numbers so I've got no idea if it's dyscalculia or not, but I suspect that it's not seeing as how it was never any trouble in high school nor earlier ...so I don't get why I'm having this massive trouble now all of the sudden in college

Last edited:
i also cant pay attention and understand everything of a lesson cause my head works 100% of the time. it seems like ADD but actually it can be very similar to light asperger. (which i have). i also was not very good on math, i had to have a personal teacher and he teached me in a way that I could do it really well.

If you also have ADD (attention deficit disorder), you may have a hard time focusing on maths and figures, leading to frustration for not being able to learn/understand.

If you also have ADD (attention deficit disorder), you may have a hard time focusing on maths and figures, leading to frustration for not being able to learn/understand.

That's something I know 100% that I have (never been diagnosed); as a kid I used to study at my desk in my room and my mother had to often check upon me because I was always reading a novel or anything other than the school textbooks.

Even using Pomodoro apps (where it gives you an alert after about 25 or 20 minutes) I have to cut it down to 15 minutes because that's the amount of attention span I have, even after about 10 minutes I'm starting to glance at the screen (hoping the 15 minutes are up) and not focusing fully on my studies.

I can even hardly get through a tv show without having to pause it at least a few times. And when teachers go on and on and on and on trying to explain some concept (usually after having read a text from a PowerPoint slide, word by word, which I loathe) I can't follow - it just becomes too much somehow. And long and boring math, statistics and accounting problems/examples .....Jesus Christ how I hate those

New Threads

Top Bottom