• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you get shut-downs and what helps?

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
Ive been trying to figure this out for years, and I think I finally have.

I experience a state of mental and cognitive flat line.

It usually comes after a long meeting, or a series of short ones. Sometimes I can recover after an hour or so of down time, but sometimes it takes much longer, and it can days until I'm back to 100%.

I now think this is an autistic shutdown. I also think it's at its worth after stressful events days before (maybe mini meltdown, or a meltdown that's internalised).

The only response I have is alcohol, but for obvious reasons I want to break this.

Do you have any thing like this and how do you cope?

In the middle of one now and I'm on 10℅ brain power.

Had 3 customer phone meetings and then my brain just went to mush.

i do not fight them anymore. They bring me peace.

What helps me:

Schedule unavailability.
This will look differently for each of us, depending on if someone lives with others, is employed, has a spouse and kids, etc.
Scheduled unavailability means just that-- even if it is just three solid hours you can plan after every long meeting, to turn off your phone, and self-isolate to heal in solitude.
When I was married, I took a few hours per day to read, walk my dog in nature, come back to myself. Later, I was content to go hug my hubby and ask how he was doing.
For me now, there are many meetings and appointments with support staff and stuff for medical visits. I aim for two "clear" days per week, with zero obligations involving social interaction. This is harder to do, when I have more medical appointments. I believe we need to schedule unavailability to decompress in solitude.

I experience shutdowns after stressful times. It helps me if I don't stress out about shutting down, because if I am worrying that I have shut down it just makes things worse and recovery takes longer. I know i just need to wait til its finished and don't try to rush the recovery. That's all that really helps me.

i have shutdowns, i totally shutdown and cant move or talk and i usually fall to the floor or just slump in the chair and i look like im out of it on drugs.
i have no vision and i just hear noise no words.
i feel a profound tiredness.
after taking me out of the stressful and overloading situation my senses come back to normal and i get my vision back,and i can understand people again and the last thing to eventually come back is my speech.
physically and mentally i feel really tired after a shutdown.
i have quite severe but currently stable epilepsy and its definitely not that as im not unconcious as such during the shutdowns.
i once had an EEG during my meltdowns and they for some reason decided to call them sudo epilepsy/non epileptic attacks rather than behavioral,they didnt understand 'autistic meltdowns' back then.

Usually after something stressful like a trip, visit, interaction with more than one person I go for a walk, read a book, or sleep. Depending on the length of the interaction, trip, night out, it may take me a day or several days to recover.

The other day, my routine changed to include being in a new class all day. When I got home I was reeling from the stress. I immediately retreated to my room, dimmed the lights, and laid on my bed listening to music. After an hour of that, I was able to get up and do some things. But overall the day was not so good.

Usually I deal with shut-downs by trying to fuel the tendency into a healthy activity. I know myself well enough to anticipate that, after a long day of socializing with new people, I am going to have to have some recovery time. Though I admit, I wasn't expecting to be that affected.

So when I am stressed I turn to music, either listening or composing. If not that, then I will watch some anime. If it is an anger outburst I hit the weights with hard rock music. If it is a mind swirling from over-stimulation, yoga for a half hour.

Usually after something stressful like a trip, visit, interaction with more than one person I go for a walk, read a book, or sleep. Depending on the length of the interaction, trip, night out, it may take me a day or several days to recover.

I'm the same. I either sleep, do arrow words or play video games.

My shutdowns are complete and utterly disabling. I cannot speak at all. I can barely nod or shake me head. None of my hands or fingers work in the ways they're supposed to and I cannot walk normally or for any significant distance. It'll take me minutes to get a couple of steps.

They're usually brought on by too much social interaction/sensory input. Maybe there's a flickering light or a clock ticking or too many people moving around me. My body just stops. I've gotten better, but they used to happen regularly in school. Teachers wouldn't really know how to react and would have to call the nurse or therapist. Definitely not fun to have in public.

The best thing for me is just to avoid getting to the point where I will get that overwhelmed. I know better know my limits and avoid things I know will trigger a shutdown ie. a crowded restaurant.

New Threads

Top Bottom