• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you feel safe outside?

I don't have any anxiety or fear about going out, day or night, and never have. I am certainly prudent about what areas I go to, and at what times of day, but I don't have any particular fears about it.

I feel safe outside and like being outside. Over the years, I've done most of my recreating outside. After reading these posts it is obvious that where you are makes a big difference. I'm lucky enough to live in a low population town and state. Bad things can happen here, but it's nothing like the big cities. I guess I feel a little vulnerable in my old age, because in recent years I've became a armed citizen. I think it is acceptable for those who can handle the responsibility.

I feel safe outside where I live, but its at the end of a long cul de sac, so its very quiet. My neighborhood overall is fairly quiet, you can hear sirens around town but rarely do they come to my neighborhood. No stores within walking distance, so I have to ride my motorcycle or take the car to go shopping. I try to do that late in the evening before bed time, less people to deal with. I used to drive delivery truck and many times the places I would go, I definatly didn't feel safe and would lock the doors, make the delivery quick and get out of there fast. Mike

In general I need to be with someone if I'm going to stay outside, unless it is at a secluded location with no one else around. It's not about safety though, it's more anxiety of others. But if I'm with someone I don't feel that anxiety.

In the neighborhood where I live though it is not safe to walk outside after dark. There are too many dogs and gangs and just plain scum.

I almost never feel safe outside, some times even in my own house i feel unsafe. I manage that by just lifting the house when its day and the street has many people around, but since i go to college at night and return home when its late in the time, my father go to take me, see, things are getting very violent were i live, the state i live was considered the most bloody in Brazil, its not new women here being assaulted here, even in they own house. One woman near my house was, i dont think i could live like that... so my father live in fear by this (he has two daughter, and a wife, also a niece who lives with us, just he and my brother in the men group).

So, when i go out i am very very carefull with what i dreess, the ways i chose and the time i go and come back. Also, i'm almost never go out alone.(i dont like to leave the house anyway)

When I go out at night I carry a knife, not because it's dangerous around here, it's not, I live in a small quaint little mountain town the most dangerous things around here are teenagers with drivers licenses, summer visitors who don't know what they're doing (It's a mountain not an amusement park!), inconveniently placed trees and deer (don't underestimate deer, those things are sharp!)
But I don't feel entirely safe without the knife. It's a just-in-case thing.

Going out during the day doesn't feel safe either but I don't bring the knife then. Going out means meeting and having to interact with people which always brings a great deal of anxiety...

I guess many people would feel safer if they could bring a weapon, even if it's for self-defense.

The thing however, over here, is that even carrying knives can get you in trouble by law enforcement. Yet, I don't feel particularly safe by the presence of them either... that's an interesting dilemma I have nowadays.

And with the times I've been stopped and frisked by police, for no good reason except being outside at night, I'm not going to get myself in trouble.

But hey, I live in a country, where self-defense in your own house can get you in jail, lol.

Outside? Yes, I love being outside. In public? No. Not that fond of it. I solidify my casual/tomboy/don't-mess-with-mama image. I listen to every foot fall I can identify, determine it's gait and direction to ascertain a threat, and I'm even more alert in parking lots. I actively play every thing I learned in self defense through my head, and I don't let my kid far from me in case he's the target instead of me. I'm much more relaxed when I have others with me because it takes a certain level of gall or desperation to attempt something on a group, and sometimes I'll even wear makeup.

When I go out at night I carry a knife, not because it's dangerous around here, it's not, I live in a small quaint little mountain town the most dangerous things around here are teenagers with drivers licenses, summer visitors who don't know what they're doing (It's a mountain not an amusement park!), inconveniently placed trees and deer (don't underestimate deer, those things are sharp!)
But I don't feel entirely safe without the knife. It's a just-in-case thing.

This. This right here. If you live in the country and you don't have a pocket knife, you're under dressed, and not because you're worried about attacks. You never know when you need to trim something, open something, perform first-aid (digging out briars, not surgery), or you're the only one at Christmas who remembered to bring their pocket knife because modern toy packaging is evil and sometimes requires those big cutting tools thieves use to cut locks in half. I just hope I never get frisked at one of those places with the "no weapons" signs, I forget half the time I have one on me. Along with a lighter and fingernail clippers. Never leave home without my travelling kit!

While a pocket knife also conveniently doubles as a protective device (should I be collected enough to remember I even have a weapon if something bad happens), I prefer a little gift my husband gave me when I feel uneasy about where I'm going. Little 3" solid thing (doesn't fold up) with a lovely leather sheath. He got it from a local knife maker.

I don't feel safe but I work out and took classes of self-defence. Still not feeling safe but it's something. I avoid walking close to people I distrust and constantly check if there's someone following me.

New Threads

Top Bottom