• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Feel Like An Alien?

Ruben, I would look up at the night sky as a child and wonder which of the stars had the planet I came from orbiting it. Just like you, they would eventually catch their terrible mistake and come for me. I thought my mother must come from some nearby planet, perhaps in the same system, as we had much in common, but I knew we couldn't be from the same place. No one else in my family or my friends were from the culture that lost me. And not one else I ever met after. Earth my have been a mistake for others and I suspected I was attracted to those who had suffered the same fate I did.

But to address the original post, I've never lost that feeling. I do not and cannot get along with earthlings (or earthers if one prefers). What I love, and the depth and passion with which I pursue it, are utterly unknown to those I come into contact with. I've tried many times to communicate always to meet with resounding failure. Sometimes a sympathetic soul crosses my path and am thankful and loving for it. I always try to offer the same but there are few takers. No one seems to need intensity, instead just to lecture unreflectively. All those terms others have mentioned, like being labeled a freak, odd, strange, weird, and more are all familiar to me. They used to hurt terribly. Now they seem like the product of thoughtlessness and a life wasted. What astounds me is how many people on earth seem perfectly content living like this. It blows the mind. I hope our planet has warning beacons around it, broadcasting to keep away from so primitive and hurtful a place. The only exception would be to risk crossing that boundary to pick up those who were wrongfully left here.

It's strange that you would say this. As an art student, every self portrait I have done was me as an alien. This was never completed, but you get the idea.

null_zps1ea53725.jpg

No. I don't feel like an alien. I feel normal. I'm sure there are people who think I'm weird, but I think everyone has a degree weirdness. At least people I know. I've worked with people of above-average intelligence for a long time and smart people are weird. 'Average' people confuse me. Sometimes I wish I could just plod through life clueless and ignorant. It would be much less stressful. Constantly thinking can be a pain in the ass and interfere with mundane everyday tasks and makes me look lazy.

Nope, I'm not an alien. I can get along with almost anyone except my wife. I'm perfectly normal. All those NTs that can't deal with us are the ones with a real problem. We need to work on accepting that we make many of them uncomfortable. Once you achieve acceptance, things improve. We can't change them or their attitudes.

Sometimes I feel like an alien, when I've gone to university and feel tired from all the noise and social situations.. it's then that I realise yet again how different I am to most of the people there (this sometimes makes me cry). When I'm at home with my family (and/or with my boyfriend) I don't feel like an alien, I feel like I fit in here even if I'm a bit different.

Update: I may not feel like an alien (at least not for a very long time) but apparently I appear a tad alien to other people. My sister told me yesterday that I remind her of Spock. She says that's okay because it's just who I am. If I come off like Spock, that's cool with me. I always liked Spock.

I have always felt like an alien outsider. Like I'm here to study these strange creatures in their habitat, but I've been forgotten so I have to call this weird place home. I look like these humans, but I don't quite fit in.

I told this to my friend with whom I will be moving in with in the future, and she told me "It's okay. And when you've had enough of this strange place, I promise, you can come home and shed the human suit."

My psychologist and I came up with the basic image of me as a 'Jane Goodall among apes', clip-board out and taking notes on this other, but sort of familiar, species that I happen to live among. Sometimes I catch myself thinking "Now, what would a real human do in this situation?" which doesn't seem healthy, but encapsulates my self-view pretty well. I know, intellectually, that I am just as human as everyone else. Mentally/Emotionally, they just seem to nonsensical. How can we possibly be the same species?

Dizzy, a mask works well for me. I have to interact with lots of different people so it helps to be adaptable. I felt very alien when I joined the Air Force, so my original post in this thread wasn't completely accurate. I had to have a couple of days for the idea to ripen in my unconscious , I suppose. Anyway, I had very little in common with anyone in basic training. I was made a squad leader, which scared me to death. The first example of my lack of interpersonal skills showed up there. There was a guy in my squad who made no effort to be part of the team and help out when we were doing things like cleaning. I counseled him in what I thought was a reasonable non threatening manner. The next day he attempted suicide by cutting his wrists with a pocket knife or one of those little GI can openers or something, I don't remember. I felt pretty bad about it but of course there was no one to talk to. After that I was treated coldly by almost all of the guys. I've been scared of being a supervisor or manager ever since.

The point of all this is that I learned to appear a certain way depending on who I was interacting with, and it's a great defense against becoming a pariah. You have to be accepted to avoid career suicide. When other people depend on you to provide a living, you adapt or fail.

There are my two cents.

Odd, weird, strange, different, yeah that was always me. The odd man out, wolf pack of one.
I am like King Oni in that I do not care for pets. I love animals and they love me. We have an understanding though, we leave each other alone.
I also get shocked, A LOT! My family knows to look out because I am like the voltage vampire.
It is difficult being the only one in a crowd.

I tried to explain this feeling to my very normal boyfriend last night. He didn't get it.

Do you tend to feel like you are outside of the human species? As if you do not quite understand how they communicate, how they chitter-chatter and laugh constantly and have no hesitancy about going out and doing menial things?
It's kind of a feeling like everyone is in a bubble and you're on the outside of it, looking in at them, observing, not quite able to fit into humanity.

I've felt like this for as long as I can remember.
It's rather isolating.

Is this an Aspergers/Autistic type of thing? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

No, to me it feels like I'm the only normal one, and everyone else is weird/alien.

Was with 2 people I know today and they just seemed to lose awareness I was actually there. It was odd. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I was listening for a while and, after a while, decided to go off on my way. As I calmly walked away there was no acknowledgement or awareness I had removed myself. I seem to have acquired the power of invisibiity but fortunately I can see the funny side of it.

This has happened to me too. A lot. What's going on here?

I once worked for four months with a colleague who, quite literally, could not see me. She would look in my direction sometimes, and I could tell by the expression on her face that she was not looking at me, but at something (or someone) directly behind me. Then one day she noticed me for the first time, and the expression on her face was one of shock and surprise; like she had just seen a ghost.

Is it possible that I am actually dead, and this is Hell?

I feel more like an alien if my relatives are around. My mother, sister, aunt. It is disconcerting to have people whose voices sound similar (to each other's and to mine), but their thoughts are entirely different.

Last edited:
no, I LOVE being socially awkward.

It's one of the few pleasures life has for me. Sorry I cannot agree.

Yes all the time! I always feel lesser and different to everyone around me. Sometimes I feel like I'm just watching the world and I'm not even a part of it.

This has happened to me too. A lot. What's going on here?

I once worked for four months with a colleague who, quite literally, could not see me. She would look in my direction sometimes, and I could tell by the expression on her face that she was not looking at me, but at something (or someone) directly behind me. Then one day she noticed me for the first time, and the expression on her face was one of shock and surprise; like she had just seen a ghost.

Is it possible that I am actually dead, and this is Hell?

I always scare people when I come up behind them to join in a conversation but without immediately giving them an extroverted greeting to announce my presence. They always jump when they suddenly see me standing nearby, and I always forget that at that distance and being that quiet I will frighten them.

Forgive me if I've already shared this, but this is my overall view on being "weird" and an "alien":

The adjective "weird" is such a negative descriptor: it doesn't describe what something is, just what they are not. If someone calls something "weird" all they are saying is that it doesn't lie their often tiny sphere of familiarity, but there is an almost infinite number of places where it could lie.

The way I see it, someone just describing me as "weird" and nothing else would be like the first space explorers describing the other planets they've seen as "not like Earth" and leaving it at that. It's a word used by people too lazy describe what something is, and so they simply describe what it isn't.

Point being that if you're an "alien" that could mean countless things. There are so many different types of "aliens" and so many different types of "weird."

I am HIGH-FUNCTIONING diagnosis. HIGH-FUNCTIONING= keyword here!
Therefore, I seem like anyone else. Even socially I seem like I don't really have Asperger's. BUT I am basically a repellant socially and I cannot figure out why. I even made cries of desperation on Facebook. Yes, it's a bit of a turn off but DAMN I was being honest. Would you rather have the BS? Didn't think so.

THANKFULLY, I am over it. I was going through a phase the last two months because I graduated from college in mid May) freaking out thinking "Oh great, how will I ever meet new friends again?" but then I thought about it. I'm an only child. I've felt "lonely" regardless of how many friends I have because I don't have someone that's physically always there. Emotionally isn't a problem. Lots of people care. I have my fraternity, my musician colleagues from school and various ensembles I have played for, and oh you better believe my family is awesome."

Still. I'd like to hang out with people other than my fiance, my grandma and my parents. I want more variety. Does this make sense to anyone? I took 3mg of melatonin for my bedtime earlier and I guess it's kicking in. Lol :sleep:

The cool part though is my new mindset: :sticky_idea:

No one can handle me because I'm too awesome. They just can't stand it, so they spare themselves.
Yes, I came up with that after drinking a few beers with friends, but the next day I read this (I posted it on Facebook, and quite a few people enjoyed it. lmao) again and I just nodded in agreement. My fiance thinks it's a strange concept but ya know what? It works for me! LOL!!!!!!! :laugh:

Yes I feel like an alien... plus I'm left-handed creative...

It's effed up...aight... :throwball:

New Threads

Top Bottom