• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you exhibit selective mutism as well?

ab_dc23

It's the inability to communicate effectively in certain social settings, like school or out in public. However, you can convey yourself with ease when you're at home or with someone you like.

I actually dont know if i suffered from it, i am still digesting my past experiences in order to understand..

I know i had days in hightschool when i just put my hood on and didnt talk for half the day, only a few could interract with me but it was because of some "love"issue...my dad got this also sometimes.

One day i tried to get to know a girl and force myself to do it, couldnt even say "hi" , and apparently I get cloed to her in a very "autistic "way, just following her, place myself few seat away from here etc...for days maybe one week our two.

One day a girl hard a rought talk with me and i just couldnt talk her back didnt even look at her.

I got other few experiences like that, i dont know if its all related to that.

I think unless i am not stressed i dont realy suffer from mutism, my main social issue has always been the lack of understanding.

If i have known someone for awhile and trust them i can speak with some ease, the second even the possibility of a breach in trust reverts back to being mute. Otherwise 90% of the time i wont speak.

Yeah, I don't speak to people unless asked a question regarding studies, in educational settings like school, college and uni.

I have it and I like it. It makes me feel safe.

I only get this way when I am extremely stressed out and overwhelmed. As of late, that has been me most of the time, so most nights end with me sitting at my computer, not being able to articulate with my voice and say things to my fiancee because I'm still processing and re-processing the days events and what might happen in the upcoming hours and days.

Honestly? I find it very annoying because it also happens in situations where I am upset and need to work to resolve whatever issue it is, but cannot for the life of me get my mouth to work right.

With me it is people that I do not know or to many people. I just do not say much of anything, unless prompted. The exception is when I am talking about something that I know a lot about. Then I get carried away by talking to much and to technical. I have to remind myself to keep it short and simple.

As a child I was very prone to selective mutism.
I've never had many close interactions with anyone except
my parents and grandmother.
When someone came to our house I would not speak and stayed in my room as much as possible.
Never really got over that.
I don't like other people coming into "my space".
Where I live.
Nor do I feel comfortable in other people's space/homes.
Company that stayed over for a few days was unbearable to me.
Same in their place. I never did the sleepovers at other
kid's homes and only had to stay overnight at a cousins
once.
But, I guess it is very selective as I've been a teacher and can speak to room full of people.

Nothing like that burning under the collar feeling when you realise you haven’t said anything in a good while and you’re sure everyone around you is wondering what’s wrong :smiley: pretty much summarises me when in the company of a group of people!
When I worked in a corporate office, I would be fine and talkative when sitting at the lunch table with one colleague I was close to, but as soon as other sat down, I stopped talking to even her. I would be responding to the open group conversation in my head, often with tons of witty one liners that I wish I could say out loud but never would with an audience!

Not sure, but probably.

In stress I can't talk easily.

If I get shutdown I can't talk easily either, and its like my mouth won't form words, but also my brain stops talking in words.

When I was a kid I'd go mute during fights, which was unusual. Most kids shout at each other, but I couldn't.

When I get tired I hate talking, but I can maybe force myself.

It never feels bad unless there is Social pressure or judgement. I used to hate people saying "your quiet tonight" or what ever. I'm not usually quiet, so it makes a big contrast.

I can remember as a young child, that l wished that l was permanently mute. I think it had something to do with feeling that people would accept me better , or maybe they would expect less of me, not sure. It seems weird to think of it as kids generally talk non stop.

New Threads

Top Bottom