• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you do the Aspie Stare?

just look at all of my pics and you can tell if i do or not, i look at my dad like that sometimes and you trys to "hit" me (as carly loved to say it) but i do not know why, i am just looking at him

i caught my reflection in the bus's mirror and thought for a second, "who's that girl with those blank, strange eyes?" yeah, i do the aspie stare all right, i know because a fellow aspie told me he thinks i have asperger syndrome. said he realized it the second he saw me and that i have a lost and confused look in my eyes, as well as blank.

I'm pretty sure I do. My mom used to always go on about it, anyways.

I'm not so sure if it's "aspie" though or just me? I can smile in photographs (although often it looks really sarcastic) and appear pretty normal in some, but I get the feeling it's just by chance or someone caught me off-guard. Most of the time my photos tend to come off awkward in my opinion.

People have said a lot of things about my expressions, which can vary: some say lack-of, some think its a bit cartoony, etc.
Either way, its not unusual for me to hear it's off somehow, not just in pictures.

I have it... which might be a good reason for me to wear shades. To not make other people feel uncomfy.

But yeah, I have it... and I even remember being accused of having a weird stare back in high school... it would totally freak some girls out.

People also told me to smile more... to where I asked "why? Do I look sad?" and they told me "no... there's just no definable emotion there. It looks weird... are you on drugs?"

which allows me to use drugs and sneak by unnoticed because it's just the way my facial expression is :p

I wonder if Jack Nicholson has it? He always wears sunglasses even indoors. Pretty cool. I have Google it some as it is a hot topic. Thoughts?
B

MISUNDERSTOOD

My Thoughts On The Aspie Stare

I cannot begin to tell you how stupid I feel. Whenever a girl walks into the room, I just can't look away. I used to do it because I didn't know what to say. All those years on my own. I had nothing. No approach to go with and no dates to look forward to. I was being ripped off by my aunt and I tried to make the best of a bad situation. I tried to get rich and famous, but I guess I wasn't cut out for music. Or love. I wish these people understood, I didn't mean to creep them out. If I knew what to say back then I would have said it and maybe I WOULDN'T have ****ed up my chance with Ellie Hayden. Or the 10 something girls that came before her.

Millionaires say
I got a big shot deal
And thrown it all away
But I'm not too sure
How I'm supposed to feel
Or what I want to say...

-Daniel Johns (Miss You Love, Neon Ballroom 1999)

I had a husband when I was 18 told me that I had the best poker face. However, when he would ask me how I was doing, and genuinely felt good, he would say, "Are you sure?" and not believe when I said yes. I asked him one day, and he said that I usually had no expression in my face. (He died back when we were 25 but that's it's own story and over a decade ago and I'm over it)
I also feel like my photo smile looks bad, it's not natural, and I wish I could reproduce my genuine happy smile for photos. I prefer to see myself in photo's with the expression they catch on my face. Unless there's food in my mouth which would be horrible. Thank goodness that's never happened.

Lol, this made me think of all my year book photos. My mother always compared them to mug shots.

Lol, this made me think of all my year book photos. My mother always compared them to mug shots.

Well, Alpaca, my mother never went that far, but she did complain that I wasn't smiling in a lot of my pictures, especially when I was younger. I couldn't understand it back then, but I do now. :)

Yeah, well, I normally smile for photographs, but if I'm not in the mood... Get that camera away from me.

I do have a stare generally though, I start to zone out/focus in on something and I probably look very weird/creepy to other people. I can sit and stare blankly at something for up to a half hour.

It's kind of weird, one second I'm doing something and the next second I completely shut down and stare at something on the wall or the window, haha.

I'm unsure that I have the Aspie Stare as it were. But my mom says I have this look I get on my face when things are making me annoyed/frustrated but not to the point of meltdown or shutdown. I hate getting my photos taken but love to take pictures of other things. My smiles unless spontaneous:cute: are not weird and oddly forced

Funny thing is I often think I am smiling, but in photos and people also tell me I am not actually smiling. Not that I think I am making a stare look though, more like a vague look that says lets get this over, I don't really like my picture taken.

New Threads

Top Bottom