• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you do any facial expressions naturally?

I have an expressive face too.... I frown a lot and look generally annoyed.

Watching videos of myself I clearly am not very emotionally expressive, except for happy, angry and annoyed.

I am ok with that, because that is who I am.

1423773323554.png

People have told me often that they can read me easily. Thing is the faces they describe I don't even know I'm making, nor do I even feel like I should be making that face. The most common one is what they call a puppy dog face and some even call it manipulative. Thing is I don't even feel that way when they are describing it, it makes no sense to me. Also especially when I was younger people said I smiled more than most people. I guess that's because I figured there was only 2 faces, happy and sad, and I would rather have the happy face.

People have told me often that they can read me easily. Thing is the faces they describe I don't even know I'm making, nor do I even feel like I should be making that face. The most common one is what they call a puppy dog face and some even call it manipulative. Thing is I don't even feel that way when they are describing it, it makes no sense to me. Also especially when I was younger people said I smiled more than most people. I guess that's because I figured there was only 2 faces, happy and sad, and I would rather have the happy face.
Yeah I'm quite similar to that

Even if I use emoticons, all I know how to use is a basic happy face and a basic sad face. None of the others really make any sense to me, or require too much effort to figure out.

I have been told I have an expressive face. The trouble is I don't feel like I control my facial expressions and people often misunderstand my feelings because of that. Mostly, they tend to think I'm trying to communicate that I feel strongly about something, when I'm actually calm and don't even realize that I'm making a face. Then, I have to act like it was planned / meant to be funny to make the situation less awkward.
I feel like I have no facial expression and tend to forget that people see my face and try to infer meaning from it. It feels strange.
I don't like being photographed because of that reason, it feels awkward to force a smile or pose when I don't see myself to check how I look. It feels like my face is turning into mush :confused:

For me, facial expressions are mostly involuntary, meaning that if I'm happy, then I will naturally have a happy expression, or a worried one if I'm anxious or a frown if I'm angry. If I am feeling the emotion, then I naturally make the matching expression. What I do have difficulty with, is modifying my expression to suit a social situation, for example, showing enthusiasm or sadness when my internal emotion is something different. I often feel neutral/indifferent to many situations, yet I'm expected to show some kind of emotion to be socially correct - I really can't fake emotions and don't know how to make my face show that particular emotion. I'd make a really bad actress.
I am also often completely unaware of what expression I have or what my face is communicating to others, as I often have people ask me what the matter is when I'm not aware of anything being the matter, or that my face is showing such a thing.

You just described my issue with this perfectly, better than I can.

When I was a child I used to practice facial expressions in the mirror, but by now it comes naturally.

I don't see myself in action very often but I know that when I have caught my reflection I see a variety of facial expressions that I don't even understand. I just seem to move my face a lot. I have noticed that in candid photos I am often caught in a funny expression. I think I do this when I am talking because I employ every strategy I've got in order to get my point across, so I make gestures and funny faces. Other times, when I think I am smiling it turns out I am not and the expression I thought was a closed mouth smile actually looks more like I have been sucking on lemons.

I also have some facial tics or stims so there is usually something like that going on with me too.

I think I do this when I am talking because I employ every strategy I've got in order to get my point across, so I make gestures and funny faces.

I gesticulate wildly...to the point that the person on the left or right of me at the time is in danger (I've inadvertently whacked people.) :eek::oops:

I gesticulate wildly...to the point that the person on the left or right of me at the time is in danger (I've inadvertently whacked people.) :eek::oops:
Yes, I can get a bit wild that way too. I have also been bopped in the head by another person doing that and she was so embarrassed. I told her not to worry since I could just have easily done it to her.

New Threads

Top Bottom