• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you do any facial expressions naturally?

An Arctic fox

Are any facial expressions natural for you that are considered normal (if not what ones are normal for you)? Becausw for me lots are but not all (I only kno of like 3 different faces I make that are normal the rest I'm not sure of)

I seem to do a lot of faces without realizing it because people have pointed out or imitated faces I made when I didn't think I made one, and I often think I'm making a facial expression when I'm not.

It's all backwards! How confusing! :eek:

The only two I know of for sure and know what they look like are super happy happy smiling, and confusion, which is like a furrowed brow and a frown.

:Do_O

I also do this a lot but it doesn't seem as much like a facial expression to me for the mouth to just be :eek: I do :eek: so much that someone said I'm like that pikachu meme that does :eek: which is one of my favorite memes.

It's so cute! :eek:

You just described how I an without me even knowing it (I also just randomly move my face sometimes because its fun) I also laugh and smile but that might be because I'm conditioned to in social situations

Sometimes I laugh, even when alone, if something is funny on TV, or something I read.
Anger shows in my eyes and eyebrows frown.
Confusion also is mostly in the eyes and eyebrows go up. o_O

For me, facial expressions are mostly involuntary, meaning that if I'm happy, then I will naturally have a happy expression, or a worried one if I'm anxious or a frown if I'm angry. If I am feeling the emotion, then I naturally make the matching expression. What I do have difficulty with, is modifying my expression to suit a social situation, for example, showing enthusiasm or sadness when my internal emotion is something different. I often feel neutral/indifferent to many situations, yet I'm expected to show some kind of emotion to be socially correct - I really can't fake emotions and don't know how to make my face show that particular emotion. I'd make a really bad actress.
I am also often completely unaware of what expression I have or what my face is communicating to others, as I often have people ask me what the matter is when I'm not aware of anything being the matter, or that my face is showing such a thing.

For me, facial expressions are mostly involuntary, meaning that if I'm happy, then I will naturally have a happy expression, or a worried one if I'm anxious or a frown if I'm angry. If I am feeling the emotion, then I naturally make the matching expression. What I do have difficulty with, is modifying my expression to suit a social situation, for example, showing enthusiasm or sadness when my internal emotion is something different. I often feel neutral/indifferent to many situations, yet I'm expected to show some kind of emotion to be socially correct - I really can't fake emotions and don't know how to make my face show that particular emotion. I'd make a really bad actress.
I am also often completely unaware of what expression I have or what my face is communicating to others, as I often have people ask me what the matter is when I'm not aware of anything being the matter, or that my face is showing such a thing.
Oh that's interesting. I'm usually good at motifing my facial expression to suit the situation if I realize I should

My facial expressions seem to be muted versions of NTs.

Like my happy to me is just happy. To NTs, it does not come across to them well.

I can't read their faces. I get most social cues by voice tone and it was hard for me to learn that.

Nowadays, when I am not sure, I ask.

It is complicated.

My facial expressions seem to be muted versions of NTs.

Like my happy to me is just happy. To NTs, it does not come across to them well.

I can't read their faces. I get most social cues by voice tone and it was hard for me to learn that.

Nowadays, when I am not sure, I ask.

It is complicated.
It is complicated

I have a very expressive face, so I am told, but since I do not stare in the mirror, I only notice when I am smiling or laughing and it is my husband who says that my face fills up with hatred when we argue, so since I do not see this, I have to accept that is so.

I have a very expressive face, so I am told, but since I do not stare in the mirror, I only notice when I am smiling or laughing and it is my husband who says that my face fills up with hatred when we argue, so since I do not see this, I have to accept that is so.
That's interesting and nice to know thanks!

My brow furrows a lot. It's a habit when thinking.

I do a lot of thinking when trying to understand something or someone.
(happens frequently)

that expression has been mistaken for scowling.

perhaps the reason why so few comment on any facial expression I may or may not make ?
(Daren't?)
as such, don't really have any feedback from beyond family - who know I'm not scowling :)

My brow furrows a lot. It's a habit when thinking.

I do a lot of thinking when trying to understand something or someone.
(happens frequently)

that expression has been mistaken for scowling.

perhaps the reason why so few comment on any facial expression I may or may not make ?
(Daren't?)
as such, don't really have any feedback from beyond family - who know I'm not scowling :)
Interesting (I'm not even 100 percent sure what a furrowed brow is lol). For me when I'm thinking or working really hard I'll stick my tounge out a bit and close my mouth so my tounge is sticking out a bit and then I notice and laugh at myself

Raising an eyebrow. Left one only. I don't know, it was just always so natural and allowed me to avoid a lot of talking - it can be a question, a surprise, amusement, contempt, confusion, a greeting, even being at a loss or scared. Maybe I got it from my parents.

Although, only later I was told that almost no one outside of my family could understand what that eyebrow meant. People thought I was mocking them. Woops.

Last edited:
I think my face can be quite expressive. Which can be annoying as it doesn't help me when I want to project a different mood or feeling than I am actually experiencing inside. I'm not good at lying.
I really like sign language because it is very expressive and so is easier for me to read.
I've been told that my 'resting face' often doesn't make me look very approachable.

I was often asked why im so sad when I wasn't, my resting face syndrome attracts some attention.

When i smile to babies they get scared and cry.

One dog understood i was happy to look at him although i didn't know i made any expression and came straight to me and became friendly and playful.

I notice small expressions in the mirror sometimes that i cant easily hide when im bothered/annoyed cause they happen really fast, can be picked up on.

New Threads

Top Bottom