• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you care that you've had no 'personal' or social life?

I experienced much the same thing with people, got so tired of it I kinda became a hermit for about ten years.
I still had to work though and, in time, during my interactions, especially with the disabled, I came to realise that people are just scared, living in fear of losing their possessions or their status in their peer group.. modern NT society seems to revolve around materialism, result of living in a consumer society.. NT's seem much more vulnerable to advertising than Autistics.
Now I look at people in that light much of the time and can only feel sympathy for their fear.
I often wish many people could share the same insight.

So the real reason I've been betrayed and kicked out of my house twice by power-hungry racists/sexists who pretended to be our friends for half a decade but then got mad at my parents for disagreeing with them over trifles is that they didn't want to lose their stuff? Sorry, I cannot sympathize with that.

So the real reason I've been betrayed and kicked out of my house twice by power-hungry racists/sexists who pretended to be our friends for half a decade but then got mad at my parents for disagreeing with them over trifles is that they didn't want to lose their stuff? Sorry, I cannot sympathize with that.

I'm sorry if my post upset you umbrellabeach and I'm truly sorry for your situation :oops:
I've just found, in the course of my life, that, as much as I may want to kick and scream (sooo much, sometimes :mad:) at the unjust way I.. and anyone, for that matter, am treated, it's healthier to accept my situation as what it is and appreciate the good things around me.. a philosophy I guess I developed after I paid off my 20 year mortgage, then my ex-wife kicked me out to move her boyfriend in; she got everything and I have nothing to show for a lifetime of effort.. betrayal? Oh Yeah!
I could live with a heart full of anger, but choose to let it go and find happiness again, for my own sake and for my kids :)
I can only wish you peace and happiness :rose:

I'm fine with it at the moment. I find that I'm fine with it or even embrace it when I am being productive with the things that I care about, when I'm working towards personal goals (teaching myself something, bettering myself in some way, studying for an important exam). When I am either floundering, unsure of what I want in life, or am comparing myself to others, I feel quite badly about it.

So, I do my best to remain focused, to remain active in my personal pursuits. I try to keep focused on what I believe truly matters. I'd rather read a book or play a game or study something than sit in a smelly, sticky bar with a pint of overpriced, watered down beer in my hand.

I'm sorry if my post upset you umbrellabeach and I'm truly sorry for your situation :oops:
I've just found, in the course of my life, that, as much as I may want to kick and scream (sooo much, sometimes :mad:) at the unjust way I.. and anyone, for that matter, am treated, it's healthier to accept my situation as what it is and appreciate the good things around me.. a philosophy I guess I developed after I paid off my 20 year mortgage, then my ex-wife kicked me out to move her boyfriend in; she got everything and I have nothing to show for a lifetime of effort.. betrayal? Oh Yeah!
I could live with a heart full of anger, but choose to let it go and find happiness again, for my own sake and for my kids :)
I can only wish you peace and happiness :rose:

That's okay, you didn't upset me. I just found your post hard to believe. There was a lot more going on with those people than posessions or social status. I've actually gotten happier by focusing more on my own projects and endeavors, and not placing so much importance on having friends.

I also saw my inability to keep friends long as a huge failure, especially since my family is not supportive and I don't have a strong connection with them.

I used to feel bad that I didn't have many friends, and I sometimes felt lonely, but not anymore.

1.png

2.png

3.png

I wasn't always as anti-social as I am now, however I've always been incredibly introverted, and feel very drained and "mixed-up" after interactions with several people at once. And I think I've always been that girl that was both lonely, and wanted to be alone, both at the same time. Which has caused me much strife in my romantic relationships, and in the friendships I've had (and usually lost) as well. Over time, the loss of relationships and lack of understanding made it more bearable to be alone more of the time, and made me less ambitious about making new friends.

So I would probably say right now I'm ok with not having many real IRL friends (the few I do have live far away), however I do have plenty of online friends and it works for me. :)

I do consider myself to have a personal life, my hobbies and education make me feel accomplished. Though I would like to have a social life.

New Threads

Top Bottom