• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do we drink more fluids than NTs?

The water bottle is my constant companion. Before the water bottle was invented, I was always going to the toilet to gulp down some water. Juice is the only other thing I will drink, tea is rare and coffee never.

I don't have diabetes, either.

My probably autistic step daughter and probably aspie step son used to drink MASSES as younger kids but dont so much any more. Me and my daughter (both aspie) hardly drink anything and are frequently dehydrated. Both extremes for us, but definitely not normal.

Thanks for all the replies.
So far it sounds like we're mostly on the extreme ends of either dehydration or drinking a lot, than drinking an average amount of fluids.

This is all anecdotal and subjective information. I doubt anyone has done a legitimate study on fluid intake in ASD individuals. The "feeling" of being thirsty does not necessarily mean that the "cause" is dehydration. Many medications can result in dry mouth; over hydrating is possible in that case because drinking fluids WILL NOT stop the "thirsty dry mouth" sensation, so one keeps drinking... There are many more plausible reasons to be thirsty -

I had a discussion with my friend who's 5 y/o son has severe Autism, about his constant drinking habits. He's going nowhere without his bottle filled with either 'My Waddi' or the occasional 'Seven Up'.
I asked her how much he would usually drink per day and her reply was about 5-6 of those half litre bottles. So up to 3 litres or almost a gallon per day.
The reason I was interested in it is that I would drink about the same amount a day. But haven't met anyone else who does it too.
I also never leave the house without a bottle of water in the bag and I get thirsty very quickly.
I know it might be a long shot, but who knows, maybe it might be linked with autism and our need to be hydrated to work well.

My 6 y/o nephew also drinks quite a lot. He also shows a few symptoms of Asperger's, but my sister in law doesn't believe me so far and doesn't want to get him tested yet. But that's another story...

And no, I am not diabetic, as I get tested regularly due to family history, or have any liver/kidney abnormality.

So, is there anyone here who also drinks that much (non alcoholic of course) in a day?
Yes, I'm like that too - I am constantly drinking. ( From what I can tell, I drink around a gallon of water a day. ) More if it is hot, or I am very active.

I'm always really thirsty. I usually drink a whole cup of water before every meal, and one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon, and another before I go to bed (otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night very thirsty and can't get back to sleep). When I go out for the day, I have to take two bottles of water otherwise I run out. Apparently my aspie friend also drinks a lot of water, according to his father.

I had a discussion with my friend who's 5 y/o son has severe Autism, about his constant drinking habits. He's going nowhere without his bottle filled with either 'My Waddi' or the occasional 'Seven Up'.
I asked her how much he would usually drink per day and her reply was about 5-6 of those half litre bottles. So up to 3 litres or almost a gallon per day.
The reason I was interested in it is that I would drink about the same amount a day. But haven't met anyone else who does it too.
I also never leave the house without a bottle of water in the bag and I get thirsty very quickly.
I know it might be a long shot, but who knows, maybe it might be linked with autism and our need to be hydrated to work well.

My 6 y/o nephew also drinks quite a lot. He also shows a few symptoms of Asperger's, but my sister in law doesn't believe me so far and doesn't want to get him tested yet. But that's another story...

And no, I am not diabetic, as I get tested regularly due to family history, or have any liver/kidney abnormality.

So, is there anyone here who also drinks that much (non alcoholic of course) in a day?
I don't know if I believe I have Asperger's 100% yet. But I have received a diagnosis for it.
I noticed I drank a lot compared to my peers in elementary school. The one small carton of milk was never enough for my small frame. I am thirsty much of the time. Can't always eat...but always love to drink!! Thirst is a constant companion to me, so I was really interested in this thread!

Like most things aspie, the issue may not be whether we do it or not, but the extreme (either end) to which it is taken.

dehydration.png

I probably drink far too much caffeine, in coffee and coke (although due to being type 2 Diabetic I always get sugar free coke).

I also don't drink Red Bull, the advert is a complete fib, you don't sprout wings after drinking Red Bull.

New Threads

Top Bottom