• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do People Take Advantage of You?

DC1346

One of the reasons I am introverted is because I've had people abuse my friendship in the past.

While working in Saudi Arabia, a couple of teachers who were going on vacation kindly lent me the use of their house because my personal belongings weren't due to arrive for another month. Instead of living in a tiny one bedroom condo with nothing more than the suitcases I had arrived with, I was given access to a spacious fully furnished 3 bedroom home complete with internet access, satellite TV, and a fully stocked kitchen. It was GREAT!

On my first night there, I was preparing a simple dinner of roasted chicken with mashed potatoes, country gravy, honey glazed carrots, and buttermilk biscuits. The doorbell rang and I opened the door to find a stranger who introduced himself as being a friend of the family.

The stranger, whom I will call Carl, sniffed and observed that something smelled delicious ... so I invited him in and we had a nice dinner.

Throughout the month I was in that house, Carl came by EVERY NIGHT ... surprisingly enough at dinner time ... and I always fed him.

After the family returned, I moved back into my condo. I also bought a car and since Carl didn't have a car even though he had been living in the kingdom for several years, he began catching rides to the supermarket with me. He also began coming over for dinner On Thursday nights. The weekends in Saudi Arabia are Thursday and Friday. The workweek runs from Saturday through Wednesday.

I thought of Carl as a friend and didn't realize he was a mooch until three things happened.

1) After returning from vacation, he called me at 3 AM for a ride from the airport back to his home. He didn't apologize for waking me up. He didn't offer me a gift in appreciation for the ride. SInce he was too lazy to stand outside while he was waiting for me, I had to park my car and go inside the airport to find him and he was too damned cheap to even offer to pay the parking fee.

2) The day after his return, he called me for a ride to the supermarket. While we were going into the supermarket, he met a friend and said that he'd be along in a moment since he wanted to chat. I shopped for my groceries and left the supermarket to find that he was still talking. "Oh my gosh, I'll just be a moment" he said and he hurried into the store. By the time he came out of the supermarket SOME THIRTY MINUTES LATER, my ice cream had melted in the 115 degree Fahrenheit heat! The jerk didn't apologize. He didn't offer to buy me some more ice cream. AND HE EXPECTED A RIDE HOME.

3) By this time I was fuming. While taking Carl home, Carl told me that he wouldn't be able to come to dinner on Thursday night. When I asked why, he said that he was having a get together at his place. He did not invite me to come over.

When I thought about it, I realized that everything with Carl was take-take-take and I never got anything in exchange. He never offered to help clean the dishes. He never offered to take me out for a meal. He didn't offer to pay for the gas ... not that this would have been much since we both worked for the Saudi Aramco Oil Company and gas at the employee station was running at the Saudi equivalent of 27 cents per gallon. Lord do I miss those prices!

I once also had a friend whom I will call Ruth.

Ruth was a teacher at my school back when I taught elementary. After I went abroad to teach in Saudi Arabia, she married and moved to south Texas. When I came back to the states on vacation, I wanted to visit Ruth but having lived in south Texas, I didn't particularly want to visit her there. I asked if she and her husband might want to meet me in San Antonio.

When Ruth told me that she couldn't afford to come to San Antonio, I booked her a suite adjacent to mine at the Marriot Riverside. I also arranged for chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to be delivered to her room after she checked in. I did not regard this expense as extravagant because I was making a bucket of money for Aramco. The company had even given me $7500 as a vacation travel allowance.

The three of us had a great time. I paid for everything ... rooms ... meals ... shows etc. As a wedding gift, I gave Ruth a thousand bucks so that she and her husband wouldn't feel left out while I went on a shopping spree.

Towards the end of our trip, I asked Ruth and her husband Jay for one favor. I asked them if they'd ship my purchases to me in Saudi Arabia. I gave them $500 ... more than enough to cover the cost of air freight.

They happily agreed and loaded my purchases into their car.

The purchases never arrived in Saudi Arabia. When I called Ruth, she claimed that she and Jay had taken my belongings to a freight company. She couldn't imagine why I hadn't received my belongings. She said she would call the company but suggested that the problem might have been on my end since Saudi customs officials had an unfortunate tendency to take whatever they wanted.

Although I knew that Saudi customs officials did this (and had told Ruth as part of my stories regarding my life abroad) I had never heard of an official who was so greedy that he'd take an entire shipment. Anyone who lived in the kingdom knew enough to expect some pilferage but the loss of all belongings was simply unheard of.

So ... I called the freight company that Ruth had told me about in the states. The freight company had never heard of me and they had no records of any shipment from Ruth and Jay.

When I called Ruth to ask her why the freight company had never processed a shipment for me, she froze. She didn't know what to say.

I received my belongings one week later but never again heard from Ruth or Jay.

Years later I found myself working in Lebanon. After the Israeli Air Force bombed Beirut, I voluntarily evacuated and was met at an airport in North Carolina by another teacher friend. I thanked him for picking me up and apologized for not having a gift since my departure from Beirut had been somewhat abrupt.

My friend, whom I will refer to as Bill, observed that he was a month behind on his mortgage. he also told me that his electricity had been cut off due to a 3 month delinquency in paying his bills.

When I offered to pay his bills for him, he took me to his bank where I paid the overdue mortgage. He then took me to the utility company where I paid his past due bills. I also paid for a reconnection fee. As we were headed back to his car, he observed that he had only "been joking" and that he hadn't expected me to help him out. I didn't really think anything of it because we were friends.

Bill began doing the same thing that carl had done. He'd come over for dinner on Sundays but never offered to help clean and never reciprocated by offering me dinner at his home or offering to take me out to dinner.

One day he asked me for the loan of $1500 because he had an obese friend who was on a medical disability and she needed an electric chair for mobility in her home. I loaned him the money and he promised repayment as soon as possible. A year passed and I found myself in culinary school with mounting expenses from tuition, room and board etc.

When I asked about repayment I was lectured for being greedy and selfish. I was told that I was "only about the money" and that I'd be paid back when the borrower damn well felt like it.

That pretty much killed that friendship ... and it also alerted me to the realization that I've made some really bad choices for friends over the years.

I wonder ... is my story similar to yours? Do people take advantage of you because of your trusting nature?

I am older now and not nearly so trusting.

Regards,

David

Caption 7.jpg

One of the reasons I am introverted is because I've had people abuse my friendship in the past.

While working in Saudi Arabia, a couple of teachers who were going on vacation kindly lent me the use of their house because my personal belongings weren't due to arrive for another month. Instead of living in a tiny one bedroom condo with nothing more than the suitcases I had arrived with, I was given access to a spacious fully furnished 3 bedroom home complete with internet access, satellite TV, and a fully stocked kitchen. It was GREAT!

On my first night there, I was preparing a simple dinner of roasted chicken with mashed potatoes, country gravy, honey glazed carrots, and buttermilk biscuits. The doorbell rang and I opened the door to find a stranger who introduced himself as being a friend of the family.

The stranger, whom I will call Carl, sniffed and observed that something smelled delicious ... so I invited him in and we had a nice dinner.

Throughout the month I was in that house, Carl came by EVERY NIGHT ... surprisingly enough at dinner time ... and I always fed him.

After the family returned, I moved back into my condo. I also bought a car and since Carl didn't have a car even though he had been living in the kingdom for several years, he began catching rides to the supermarket with me. He also began coming over for dinner On Thursday nights. The weekends in Saudi Arabia are Thursday and Friday. The workweek runs from Saturday through Wednesday.

I thought of Carl as a friend and didn't realize he was a mooch until three things happened.

1) After returning from vacation, he called me at 3 AM for a ride from the airport back to his home. He didn't apologize for waking me up. He didn't offer me a gift in appreciation for the ride. SInce he was too lazy to stand outside while he was waiting for me, I had to park my car and go inside the airport to find him and he was too damned cheap to even offer to pay the parking fee.

2) The day after his return, he called me for a ride to the supermarket. While we were going into the supermarket, he met a friend and said that he'd be along in a moment since he wanted to chat. I shopped for my groceries and left the supermarket to find that he was still talking. "Oh my gosh, I'll just be a moment" he said and he hurried into the store. By the time he came out of the supermarket SOME THIRTY MINUTES LATER, my ice cream had melted in the 115 degree Fahrenheit heat! The jerk didn't apologize. He didn't offer to buy me some more ice cream. AND HE EXPECTED A RIDE HOME.

3) By this time I was fuming. While taking Carl home, Carl told me that he wouldn't be able to come to dinner on Thursday night. When I asked why, he said that he was having a get together at his place. He did not invite me to come over.

When I thought about it, I realized that everything with Carl was take-take-take and I never got anything in exchange. He never offered to help clean the dishes. He never offered to take me out for a meal. He didn't offer to pay for the gas ... not that this would have been much since we both worked for the Saudi Aramco Oil Company and gas at the employee station was running at the Saudi equivalent of 27 cents per gallon. Lord do I miss those prices!

I once also had a friend whom I will call Ruth.

Ruth was a teacher at my school back when I taught elementary. After I went abroad to teach in Saudi Arabia, she married and moved to south Texas. When I came back to the states on vacation, I wanted to visit Ruth but having lived in south Texas, I didn't particularly want to visit her there. I asked if she and her husband might want to meet me in San Antonio.

When Ruth told me that she couldn't afford to come to San Antonio, I booked her a suite adjacent to mine at the Marriot Riverside. I also arranged for chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to be delivered to her room after she checked in. I did not regard this expense as extravagant because I was making a bucket of money for Aramco. The company had even given me $7500 as a vacation travel allowance.

The three of us had a great time. I paid for everything ... rooms ... meals ... shows etc. As a wedding gift, I gave Ruth a thousand bucks so that she and her husband wouldn't feel left out while I went on a shopping spree.

Towards the end of our trip, I asked Ruth and her husband Jay for one favor. I asked them if they'd ship my purchases to me in Saudi Arabia. I gave them $500 ... more than enough to cover the cost of air freight.

They happily agreed and loaded my purchases into their car.

The purchases never arrived in Saudi Arabia. When I called Ruth, she claimed that she and Jay had taken my belongings to a freight company. She couldn't imagine why I hadn't received my belongings. She said she would call the company but suggested that the problem might have been on my end since Saudi customs officials had an unfortunate tendency to take whatever they wanted.

Although I knew that Saudi customs officials did this (and had told Ruth as part of my stories regarding my life abroad) I had never heard of an official who was so greedy that he'd take an entire shipment. Anyone who lived in the kingdom knew enough to expect some pilferage but the loss of all belongings was simply unheard of.

So ... I called the freight company that Ruth had told me about in the states. The freight company had never heard of me and they had no records of any shipment from Ruth and Jay.

When I called Ruth to ask her why the freight company had never processed a shipment for me, she froze. She didn't know what to say.

I received my belongings one week later but never again heard from Ruth or Jay.

Years later I found myself working in Lebanon. After the Israeli Air Force bombed Beirut, I voluntarily evacuated and was met at an airport in North Carolina by another teacher friend. I thanked him for picking me up and apologized for not having a gift since my departure from Beirut had been somewhat abrupt.

My friend, whom I will refer to as Bill, observed that he was a month behind on his mortgage. he also told me that his electricity had been cut off due to a 3 month delinquency in paying his bills.

When I offered to pay his bills for him, he took me to his bank where I paid the overdue mortgage. He then took me to the utility company where I paid his past due bills. I also paid for a reconnection fee. As we were headed back to his car, he observed that he had only "been joking" and that he hadn't expected me to help him out. I didn't really think anything of it because we were friends.

Bill began doing the same thing that carl had done. He'd come over for dinner on Sundays but never offered to help clean and never reciprocated by offering me dinner at his home or offering to take me out to dinner.

One day he asked me for the loan of $1500 because he had an obese friend who was on a medical disability and she needed an electric chair for mobility in her home. I loaned him the money and he promised repayment as soon as possible. A year passed and I found myself in culinary school with mounting expenses from tuition, room and board etc.

When I asked about repayment I was lectured for being greedy and selfish. I was told that I was "only about the money" and that I'd be paid back when the borrower damn well felt like it.

That pretty much killed that friendship ... and it also alerted me to the realization that I've made some really bad choices for friends over the years.

I wonder ... is my story similar to yours? Do people take advantage of you because of your trusting nature?

I am older now and not nearly so trusting.

Regards,

David

View attachment 20583
you are being way to nice to ppl!

I was being taken advantage alot until I realized I was being too nice. I used to go out of my way to help ppl. now I don't. I started saying no and unless they are close friends. it's all about boundries for me. I'm now a little more dismissive about other ppl problems unless I know them well.

They used to, then I got tired of it and started showing people just how well I will speak out for myself. Some people still think they can push me, but they find out rather quickly that I push back, and when I push back, I do so with 4 times the ferocity that they did. Most often this happens when we make plans or something, then they either cancel at the last minute (literally), or they don't show up at all. If there's one thing I hate, it's having my time wasted.

I've been taken advantage of and robbed so many times by "supposed" friends, people can't understand why I say I don't want to "help" people anymore, lol I can't afford to help people anymore, every person I "helped" cost me hundreds to thousands of dollars... :( What I wouldn't do for all those dollars now! :( And where are all those "Friends"? Gone off the planet of course... :(

In the last few years I've discovered that absolutely nobody (minus my dude and kid) wants anything to do with me if I'm not giving them stuff (either in the form of clothes, meals, money, rides, whatever).

Honey glazed carrots sound SO good though! :)

Last edited:

excatly! F'in people man! :( People make me SO sad!

Yeah, I mean not so much anymore since those walls are up but pretty much every friend I've ever had betrayed me eventually.

Yeah. To the point that now I get suspicious of everything.

Snubbed me on the bus fare you promised to pay if only I'd come over? Done. Lied about being in an exclusive relationship? Done. I find out that you and your ex used to talk about me behind my back? Not done yet, but he hears it often.

F*ck people, I want to be a hermit.

Honey glazed carrots sound SO good though! :)

Honey Glazed Carrots

Ingredients
1 pound baby carrots
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
Optional: 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add carrots and cook until for 5 minutes. Drain the carrots. Put the carrots back in the pan and add butter, honey, and lemon juice. Cook the ingredients over medium heat until the butter has melted and a glaze coats the carrots. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Optional: Garnish with freshly diced parsley.
Honey Glazed Carrots.jpg

Note: This is a great side dish for nearly any main entrée. It’s also a great way to interest kids in eating vegetables.

Note 2: For a more caramel flavor, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to the butter, honey, and lemon juice.

P.S. The recipe is mine but I downloaded the picture from the internet as I didn't have one on file. Just so you know ...

Last edited:
i have comparable things happen... but with my direct family. my mother for example (mind you this was over 10 years ago).. i found her an apartment, she was working for a while.. no problems... she lost her job and at the time i had a job. so i told her i would pay her rent for 1 month while she found a job... and i did. 1 month goes by, she herself said she hadn't really been looking but wanted me to pay for another month. and also has never paid me back to this day (yes i've actually asked too)

more recently.. i've been working with my aunts boyfriend (dads lifelong friend) for about 3 years... under my aunts business (oh yeah.. rabbit hole runs deep)...... we started out without any specific pay which was fine with me. i needed something to do and was getting severely depressed... but there was enough money to buy little junk i wanted (i dont want much anyway.. but like, clothing and decent food).. and it was paying for my car (not that it was "my" car.. legally it was mine but i didn't go anywhere other than work and i was living with my aunt by then so i didn't do anything with it other than use it for work. we sell antiques so i used it to move furniture and such.. not just typical point A/B commute stuff).......... then things started getting rough financially from some bad ideas on her boyfriends part (i've had my own, but he's done the major stuff)...... and now.. without realizing it, i've put over 2000 of my own money into it AND have not made any money of my own in almost a year AND now i'm catching crap and being called lazy over the whole thing. i want to leave.. but (excluding that i want to try and get my money back) i don't want to hurt either my aunt nor her boyfriend which is stupid because neither of them give a ****. the boyfriend is a "happy hobo" as i say. he basically wants to live in the store and never wants a dime (he actually pays for his son to have a workshop.. the son makes enough to pay the rent, but his father still pays part of it and gives him money all the time).. and my aunt has taken 6-7 vacations this summer, 2 of which were to different countries...... my last vacation was when i was about 11, i'm now almost 32.. no car, bills stacking up, and i'm paying to work. i'm trying to figure out a way to leave without causing problems but it's clear that can't happen and the only other idea i have is basically to cut away from the family entirely (my aunt is undiagnosed bipolar.. last time i switched from satellite to cable TV when i was paying for her TV, she tried kicking down the door and smashed the satellite dish off the house with a hammer.... because she didn't have TV for 20 minutes and happened to come home from work early that day. literally, i was switching everything over when she got back. 20 minutes later and she wouldn't have even noticed........ and that's just TV)

Honey Glazed Carrots

Ingredients
1 pound baby carrots
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
Optional: 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add carrots and cook until for 5 minutes. Drain the carrots. Put the carrots back in the pan and add butter, honey, and lemon juice. Cook the ingredients over medium heat until the butter has melted and a glaze coats the carrots. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Optional: Garnish with freshly diced parsley.
View attachment 20592
Note: This is a great side dish for nearly any main entrée. It’s also a great way to interest kids in eating vegetables.

Note 2: For a more caramel flavor, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to the butter, honey, and lemon juice.

Yay! (we gotta get honey!)

(don't mind me whilst I lick the computer screen........)

My friendships have been the same, but not to the same extreme.... Most of the issues stem from a lack of emotional support or paying back a favor.

I have one friend that asks for small easy favors. Recently, I took a resupply box up to her in Colorado as they were hiking the colorado trail. I drove up spent the night in a great small town and shlepped their stuff for them. I was paid for my time and provided housing. I have no problem with this. I like helping and really like it when I get paid.

I asked this same friend to drive me to physical therapy one day and she said she just didn't have the time. I had to call another friend, during his birthday party, to drive me and take me home. I was more upset over the fact that she did not "have my back" in my time of need. Maybe I should have offered to pay? A drive down the street doesn't seem to need a reimbursement to me.

Emotionally, I told a couple of friends that I have been struggling lately. I've been coached not to go into great detail so I kept it very brief and added that I would be ok..... They haven't called or emailed to check on me. In fact one of those friends seem to be distant now.

Little instances like this don't seem like a big deal and in the big scheme of life they aren't. Maybe it's the Aspie side that expects some sort of reciprocation or evenness. Friendships are hard and unfortunately necessary. I totally get the hermit thing.

I have had similar experiences and I no longer trust anyone with anything. Someone I trusted stole from me. I lent money to a friend and she never spoke to me again when we communicated almost daily before that. Also, once a friend offered to let me stay with her for a while after I had some bad things happen. I moved in with her and she treated me like a prisoner! She would scream about things that never happened and she was abusive to my cat.

One thing I realized about myself is that because I've never been outgoing, the friends I tend to make are often people who approach me. They choose me, and I basically just befriend people who choose me as long as they aren't obviously bad. I think I need a better radar.

One thing I realized about myself is that because I've never been outgoing, the friends I tend to make are often people who approach me. They choose me, and I basically just befriend people who choose me as long as they aren't obviously bad. I think I need a better radar.

oh I totally do this too! lol I never really thought about it before! :/

Yes, I once had a friend who kept borrowing money from me, saying that she would pay me back, but she never did. then she moved to another country and that was the last I heard from her.

Yep, I have a looong list of 'friends' who made friends with me - I think they have a finely tuned radar for easy prey while we lack the ability to detect them.

I've helped out several people over the years, done free work for them, decorating, lent them money.. never to see them again.
One particularly painful lesson was when I took out a £6000 bank loan to help someone by consolidating her loans - she left me with a £2000 debt when I became disabled and destroyed my credit status.. I'm still slowly paying it off.

Luckily I've never been in a financial position that permitted me to be burnt lending to people who didn't pay me back. I've always been a bit funny about borrowing and lending money... Just don't like it unless it's family or the bank.

I have been burnt in romantic relationships, though, more times than I care to count. :( My husband is the only person not to have cheated on me.

Last edited:
Wow, this is so my story it is unreal. Frustrating isent it? It means we really want and need friends so bad we will put up with a lot just to say we have a friend

Well, ABA or not, we were all compliance trained to some extent and we've all had the ability to say "no" wrestled from us.

New Threads

Top Bottom