• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do or did you have specific characteristics that caused negative reactions?

Sorry I don't have the energy to write in paragraphs.

Frown face
Flat affect
Walking with my hands in my pockets :) same reason as The OP
Keeping my arms crossed
Keeping my hands closed, almost like fists (see avatar)
Head tilted to the side (see avatar)
Awkward or rigid gait and posture
No eye contact -- I don't even look in people's direction (see avatar)
Stimming in public
Sitting on the ground or floor in public if tired
Dressing like I'm a perpetual 12 year old
Being blunt
Taking things literally
Looking spaced out or staring at something (the wall)
Randomly bouncing or doing pirouettes and poses
Smacking my lips
Touching my face
Playing with my hair
Sitting in pretzel shapes even on chairs
Echolalia
Putting my hands over my ears (misophonia)
Sunglasses even in the winter or at night
Mutism / not speaking
Speaking like a baby or child at times
Random exclamations of "Oh my God!", etc. when impatient
Eating alone or hiding from people in small spaces
Climbing trees or going up into attics
Ignoring the phone
Turning my back on people (literally) when upset

Yes, I was an odd duck and I always will be.

Last edited:
Finger tapping. Someone flipped out on me in grade school for it. It was a disturbing interaction.

My resting face sometimes looks disapproving/angry/hostile. People have assumed I'm stuck up and or unpleasant because of it. I always get into situations where I have a delayed reaction to 'fix' my face. I'll pass someone I know in a hallway at work, realize what my face is doing, and then 'fix' it (but usually after I've already passed them). Frustrating.

Speaking too softly. My boss and others get upset over it.

My desire to achieve. I have an unusually high fear of failure. I used to cry/shutdown anytime I made a mistake and or got in trouble as a child. I blamed my parents for that for a long time, but now I think its the result of the fact that I have GAD. I'm not ambitious in the sense that I want to better than everyone else, which is probably what other people assume and why I irk them.

Oh and messing with my hair and or touching my face.

Last edited:
angry facial expression (I live with it now as my fake smile looks like something out of the gutter in 'IT'....)

helpful comments to bosses on how to better do their job (*cringe* - after getting fired yet again I stopped doing that)

utter lack of willingness to engage in 'useless' small talk - I will actually look at walls in preference (walls can be quite fascinating things) I think people notice...

can we now talk about how others often annoy the @#&$ out of me? *joke*

Speaking of facial expressions, it reminds me of an episode in South Park when Butters got in trouble for his normal look.

I tell people it is my warrior face.

Then I tell them it is not actually how I am thinking or feeling.

But mostly my existence just annoys them.

New Threads

Top Bottom