• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do most people become more autistic?

Oh wow! Do you have any idea what could have caused that?
For me there was a pendulum effect. I had severe sensory problems as a young child that appeared to lessen with time but came back with a vengeance about 15 years later and have got exponentially worse over time.

Yes, you make perfect sense. Even about the babbling on part. :) I can relate. Thank you for your input. It was comforting.

It's nice to know I made sense! I related a lot to your post, as I sometimes wonder why I am behaving the way I am, but I then realised I am not acting that different to how I always have. I think we can just be hyper aware of everything, especially if stressed, so we can become very self conscious. Speaking for myself, anyway. Even my body movements can feel unnatural at times!

Oh wow! Do you have any idea what could have caused that?
Epigenetic influences that make subtle changes to our DNA.
I have worked with many different chemicals that could be part of it & viruses (I.E. Cancer, Mono, Hepatitis) also alter DNA.
I have participated in three genetic studies at University of North Texas but they are ongoing and haven't been peer reviewed or published.

Last edited:
It's nice to know I made sense! I related a lot to your post, as I sometimes wonder why I am behaving the way I am, but I then realised I am not acting that different to how I always have. I think we can just be hyper aware of everything, especially if stressed, so we can become very self conscious. Speaking for myself, anyway. Even my body movements can feel unnatural at times!
Does it feel like being in neck deep water while doing tasks?

I suspect, for myself anyways, that PTSD is a factor. It’s just too much trauma. Everything I do and everywhere I go reminds me of a traumatic experience. Usually job related.

And I can’t pretend that I’m gonna find a place I fit. I can’t tell myself comforting fantasies about how I’m going to find the company that will accept me and employ me for more than 6 months. (If I’m lucky).

So it feels like there’s less padding between myself and the harshness of a world that does not value me. And that stress makes the sensitivities and obsessive thoughts more pronounced.

Violet, there is hope for PTSD. I have also had that. I know it feels overwhelming when we are going through it but there is hope. Are you seeing a therapist?

Yes. I am unwilling to hide as many of my autistic ways of being as I used to.

If a noise hurts, I cover my ears. I rock when standing up in public because it is soothing.

It is called autistic burnout-- being less willing or able to act NT. (No offense to the NTs on here). I am resigned to the idea that no matter how goid I get at masking, I am in fact acting like an impostor to my self when I do it constantly.

In order to survive at work and on the streets, I do have to engage in a bit of acting. That is part of safety and self-preservation.

Since my autistic burnout began, I have become more publicly autistic.

Yes. I am unwilling to hide as many of my autistic ways of being as I used to.

If a noise hurts, I cover my ears. I rock when standing up in public because it is soothing.
Same here... I really don't see why I should have to hide these. These are accommodations which help me deal with the outside world, which don't harm or even affect other people. I resent it when people show intolerance towards me, because usually, I have to tolerate a lot more from other people than they do from me.

Does a blind person hide his/her stick? Does a person without the use of his or her legs hide the wheelchair? Why should it be any different for us?

New Threads

Top Bottom