• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do learning disabilities associated with autism have names?

I'm undiagnosed and have been having massive trouble in my university.

Which I don't understand because I did fine in high school, even in math but I very often got the lowest possible grade which I needed to get to advance to the next semester - as you can probably tell I'm not particularly fond of math ...but darn it, I passed which was more than fine by me.

But now, in university, I've had to resit the math course more often than I care to remember (my major requires me to finish a math class); and this includes Statistics, Accounting and a few other course ....now, I'm not interested in the subject in these classes. but I do the work that's necessary (I know I should do more - but I've gotten by just fine in other classes as well as doing at least the minimum in high school in math, and a few other courses I wasn't particularly interested in) but I can't for the life of me understand why my study progress has gone so downhill.

And I'm not finding much info on learning disabilities; I don't even quite know if it's categorized or how many disabilities there are out there; even on Google. Heck, I could find a lot of info on autism, aspergers etc when I started to really wonder why I'm so extremely closed off to people and don't talk to anyone (even girls that I notice that want me to talk to them!!)

Any feedback would be highly appreciated

If you view this link Learning Disabilities and Disorders: Types of Learning Disorders and Their Signs on the middle of the page it explains the different types of common learning disabilities.

For me, I'm officially diagnosed with a language based learning disability. I know having this diagnosed allow me to have accommodations in school such as note taker, extra time for test, tape recorder to record lectures, books on tape and more.

For my adult life, my diagnoses allow me to get extra money for welfare, and access to employment center help people with disabilities.

Getting an diagnoses for learning disability or autism can be very expensive. Sometimes there organization will cover part of the full cost of the assessment. Though I don't know what country your in, I would try to search for organizations to see if they can provide any help for you. For example for Canada, I would contact Learning Disability Association of Canada or Autism Canada Foundation. When calling a related organization for your area, they might forward you to another organization, and another organization might forward you to another one. So for the heads up, I would have patience when seeking for information.

If you view this link Learning Disabilities and Disorders: Types of Learning Disorders and Their Signs on the middle of the page it explains the different types of common learning disabilities.

For me, I'm officially diagnosed with a language based learning disability. I know having this diagnosed allow me to have accommodations in school such as note taker, extra time for test, tape recorder to record lectures, books on tape and more.

For my adult life, my diagnoses allow me to get extra money for welfare, and access to employment center help people with disabilities.

Getting an diagnoses for learning disability or autism can be very expensive. Sometimes there organization will cover part of the full cost of the assessment. Though I don't know what country your in, I would try to search for organizations to see if they can provide any help for you. For example for Canada, I would contact Learning Disability Association of Canada or Autism Canada Foundation. When calling a related organization for your area, they might forward you to another organization, and another organization might forward you to another one. So for the heads up, I would have patience when seeking for information.
I was actually waiting to see Chilly Willy post here :)

I wasn't diagnosed until my 40's, but your school experience sounds very similar to mine, even the trouble with math and I was in a major that required that I get through all of the calculus. (I didn't finish).

I struggled even though I tried very hard, thought that I studied enough, and didn't screw around and party like a lot of the other students.

Was it because of a learning disability? I was diagnosed with ADD a few years before the Aspergers diagnosis, so I don't know. But I do know that I really had difficulty asking for help if I didn't understand something. I just thought I had to figure it out by myself, otherwise it seemed like cheating. I also was unable to form friendships with people that I could study with. My friends were my old high school friends who went to different colleges.

I tried to return to college and finish a degree in a different program, but alas, my complicated adult life got in the way too much, and once again I quit.

It was after that, when my anxieties were ripping me apart that I started down the road of a diagnosis and treatment.

I have inquired with my old adviser about returning, and what sort of help I might be able to get, and he said there was a pretty good support network at the University, and that I would probably have a good chance at getting the help needed to finally finish it off.

So you should inquire with your student services department, they may be able to hook you up to counselling and even assessment. They do this at the Uni that I attended.

Best of luck to you, don't let yourself slide too far, it can be a long way back up.

Cheers.

I was diagnosed with a Learning Disability long before I was diagnosed with autism. The one they discovered is called Dyscalculia. I had to take Basic Math twice to get into my program of study in College, and only barely scraped by with a passing grade. I had really good grades with anything that did not require math skills.

I wondering if there more people with LD struggle with math than language as most people I meet was math? I only writing this comment as I excel in math but not in language. But I'm not trying to brag. What I can say live can be harder if yo don't excel well in language base in the world we live in.

First question: What are your strengths?

If you find yourself with a deficit in mathematical capabilities, you might have what I have, which is Nonverbal Learning Disorder; characterized by the classic Aspergers symptoms (stereotypy, strong special interests, etc.) but with an additional marked gap between verbal and spatial reasoning IQ. There's a rather interesting thread about the topic here: Aspergers and NVLD Are they the same? | AspiesCentral.com

I wondering if there more people with LD struggle with math than language as most people I meet was math? I only writing this comment as I excel in math but not in language. But I'm not trying to brag. What I can say live can be harder if yo don't excel well in language base in the world we live in.

Math is a language that lends itself to precision in thinking, according to George Lakoff--and English as a language is notorious for being imprecise. So it's possible to do well in English and poorly at math, and vice versa, and not see that you'd do well in math concepts but not at math calculations. I was startled to discover this was actually testable. Conceptual modeling can make very good sense without being precise.

So are aspies good at math? Not necessarily, which surprises me a little.

I'm not sure how Chinese and Japanese would rank on the language scale, but my very, very limited knowledge of Chinese semantics suggests it falls closer to "math."

I wonder how many people who struggle with math are very good at music--another study that depends upon precision.

Math is a language that lends itself to precision in thinking, according to George Lakoff--and English as a language is notorious for being imprecise. So it's possible to do well in English and poorly at math, and vice versa, and not see that you'd do well in math concepts but not at math calculations. I was startled to discover this was actually testable. Conceptual modeling can make very good sense without being precise.

So are aspies good at math? Not necessarily, which surprises me a little.

I'm not sure how Chinese and Japanese would rank on the language scale, but my very, very limited knowledge of Chinese semantics suggests it falls closer to "math."

I wonder how many people who struggle with math are very good at music--another study that depends upon precision.

I did well with the math concepts, but poorly at the calculations, following long equations, getting the right answer. I always figured stuff out a week or so after the exams. If I had any moxy, I would have asked to take the tests over.

After I quit college the first time, I went to a technical college to get some kind of job skills. I did so well on the test to get out of taking the math courses that they hired me to tutor other students. That's when I learned what it meant to be bad at math. Some of those poor souls, all high school graduates, were really helpless, and this was basic arithmetic.

I excelled at literature and reading, from grade school onward. I took lots of upper level lit courses just for fun, but had no interest in pursuing it as a degree. I also play several instruments, but again, just for fun.

Last edited:
I am one of those people who loved classees that required reading and writing, and detested math. I can remember sitting in Jr high and high school math classes doing nothing but staring out the classroom windows. I had special tutors to get me through Algebra and Geometry. At the university level, I was required to take a math course, and because of my situation I took a class called, "The Theory of Math." We didn't do any real math, we just discussed it.... That saved my butt, and I graduated with high honors. Unfortunately, I am retired now, and have just been diagnosed. I wish I had known about the Aspergers when I was struggling through my young life. On a side note: I have a cousin who scored about 800 on the math portion of the SAT, and close to 450 on math. He is one of those "all math or all verbal" Aspie's, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom