• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do any of you have an E-book reader?

Do you have an E-book reader?

• Yes; I like it better than physical books

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Yes; I like it as much as physical books

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Yes; I prefer physical books

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No; I want one

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • No; I don't want one

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
I have a gmini MagicBook M6 with a full set of H. P. Lovecraft books. But actually I prefer physical books. I use my e-book when going to travel or living in our summer cottage - because it much lighter than physical books and can hold an entire library.

I have a Nook Color. I know have an iPad. There are apps for Nook and Kindle. You can use them both. Books on a Nook can be synced to your iPad. And Kindle books can be directly downloaded from Amazon to your iPad using the Kindle app. So I use both.

I could never use one of those things. I know they're convenient and all, but there's something about holding a book that's special. And plus with books you never have to worry about battery running out.

I used to feel that way until I read one on my iPhone. You have it everywhere with you. Multiple books in one place. The Nook lets you loan out and borrow other people's books. They are cheaper. Not having to deal with what to do with the physical book when you're done with it. You can borrow from your local bookstore without making a trip, or to a store for that matter. It takes less space than a book.

I've been reading eBooks for about ... 11 yeas, on the tiny screens of my PDA/windowsphone/smartphone/iphone/ipad/s3 and occasionally on the monitor, etc.

the screen size has improved immensely though. perhaps to offset some hyperfocal blindness of reading white characters on a black background on a 3" screen.

its a lot easier on the iPad, the back light on the screen helps, and the smaller dimensions really places emphasis on the tiny interface.
mostly i end up reading to do something while trying to fall asleep, and then read for 4-6 hours, so not quite a preferable option ... sigh.

i also tried switching to audio-books, which gave me a similar sort of insomnia,
but the chapters get out of sync pretty fast when the .... words ... thing, as she walks through ... out the door... zzz ... and that's the conclusion of war and peace part 1, thank-you from audible (sic)

The biggest headache with using a kindle is that the process is kind of broken here in Australia,

i can't use amazon or audible to download the books here (Global zone restrictions apply to everywhere outside US/UK in Australia) ,
so i use the "Other" internet to get books. the upside is, you get thousands of books, the downside is time, you end up spending more time organising thousands and thousands of books because they all come in these bulk packages (top 15,000 nyt bestsellers ... sic)

i have used the eink models, and the tablets, and have bought both for other people to get the hang of, and preloaded books on kindles before.

i personally kind of like the paperwhite kindle, but you do have to get used to the display, and nighttime reading, being as it is, the ipad works really well, lots of spacing, and you can contrast flip the backdrop which makes reading easier, not so much battery life, but everything else is good. ie. you can read half a book, and then you have to charge it for 2 hours. same with an audiobook on an iphone, you get about 8-12 hours and then the battery needs attention. so the kindle makes a big difference if you're travelling around, you don't need the bulky battery packs.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom