• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Discouraging week or two

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I have been relying entirely on work agencies the last two or three years, good or bad? I don't know but...

Two weeks ago after being in a company for several months, I thought I would get the contract buyout, and suddenly out of the blue they downsized their staff and I was told the contract was over, or maybe, I have some doubts regarding gov't policy related to Ukrainian workers, and even how they are being exploited too, enough said there I can't change the past...

I was in shock and total surprise, it was a Tuesday and simply took the rest of the week, just wanted to really and could afford it... By Friday of that week I had a new contract with a company that was replacing a worker who left for school, I only ended up working there two days, one day on the Sunday of a long weekend, then my first full day in the warehouse was Tuesday... Then found out Wednesday morning to not go back, I dug a little with the agency given the circumstance and the boss felt I was too slow (after just one day? let a person grow into a job please!)... I have heard that supervisor is a little hard nosed

I did get a half day shift that Friday, the lady I worked with as a supervisor told me that she was happy with my effort and work

First day of work this week was today (Tuesday), a four day demolition job stripping stucco off a large house, the other two men I worked with are construction veterans, I am not... On the way home got an e-mail from the agency that the company "reduced their needs for tomorrow", I personally think the supervisor thinks I was too slow and it was hard work too! But I would have gone back, despite my very sore muscles

Given all these circumstances I am really discouraged, I always work hard and try hard, is that not enough all of a sudden? I have almost always had steady work recently through agencies, or are these just random things that happened that are out of the ordinary... I don't know, but I'm just very discouraged, almost want to just give up but I know I have to keep trying despite what feel like set backs...

You certainly have had a run of setbacks. What a lousy two weeks for you.

You already know you just have to set aside these events and move forward.

I used to watch baseball with great interest. I found many life lessons there, including this one:

Tommy Glavin was a great pitcher. In a tight game, he loaded the bases. We’re talking about a lot of bad pitches, big set backs in front of a national audience.

He had to throw the next pitch, completely putting aside the failures that got him into the bases loaded situation. He threw that next pitch which was strike three to the batter, ending the inning.

When I need to keep going in spite of failures, I remember Tommy Glavin.

Good feedback from @WhitewaterWoman , we do hit setbacks in our life. It's scary. We thought we gave more than 100% but still it wasn't enough. Just pick up, move on, don't overthink the past. It could just be a random series of unfortunate events.

Going for a drive today... Somewhere on the prairies... Just feel like I need it, just for one day... Then back at it...

Working as a contractor for a couple of years where a third-party legally paid my salary left a bad taste in my mouth while working in what I thought was the best job I ever had.

Being a contractor and not an employee had certain advantages in "insulating me" from so much corporate tumult. However it also kept me out of the loop at times where I thought I was on the low end of some sort of corporate caste system, even though I was making more money than most people in my department.

Frankly from my own perspective, it left it all as a mystery to me as to whether or not this was a good decision or a bad decision. And that it seemed that at a moment's notice I could lose my job for any reason apart from any considerations of merit performance.

Of course fate intervened and the shareholders demanded our part of the business be sold. Ultimately it went to another software publisher/developer who at the time farmed out 100% of their Internet considerations, effectively leaving me with no place with the new owners.

All at the height of what became known as the "dot-com crisis", when so many well-paid website designers were left without employment prospects for some time. When suddenly the employment agency that was paying me had no answers to help me find a job.

Last edited:
Let it roll off ya.
Still having a nice day out anyway :) Right now getting lunch in a small pub in Hanna, Alberta... Just a small prairie town...

Did talk to the agency, they apparently never heard anything from the company, other than what they told me...

Still having a nice day out anyway :) Right now getting lunch in a small pub in Hanna, Alberta... Just a small prairie town...

Did talk to the agency, they apparently never heard anything from the company, other than what they told me...
Nice outdoor spot?
Always relaxing those.

Nice outdoor spot?
Always relaxing those.
Small town, small main street, lots of old cars, including a freshly restored ,1946 Chev 2 Ton truck, talked with the owner briefly... There was a duck pond there but didn't have time to explore it...

Small town, small main street, lots of old cars, including a freshly restored ,1946 Chev 2 Ton truck, talked with the owner briefly... There was a duck pond there but didn't have time to explore it...
You didn’t see

Fino​

in the pond did you?;)

New Threads

Top Bottom