• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Disability jokes

Levitator

I'm really missing my one-handed friend. Very smart, very funny, and very brave for putting up with living with a missing a chunk of motor/tactile brain tissue due to a tumor she had removed. The whole right side of her body was kind of novocaine-balloony-numb, her right hand didn't work at all, and her speech came out all mumbly and awkward, and I loved her tons. And then, there were the silly jokes, which I thought were especially brave and intimate. On the street she's your typical rejected disabled person relegated to live off in her own bubble. At home, she's just like everyone else, but she is resigned to being the crippled lady, and she makes the best of it with completely transgressive jokes about herself.

I remember one time, she was making fun of me, and trying to convince me I'd insulted her. And she's jumping up and down like a child, so I apologize to her. And she goes "I'm making fun of you and joking. That's why I'm jumping up and down like this :|". And I said "Oh. I get it, so let me just slam my hand in the door and go 'Look what you did to me!'", and then I waved my hand around all floppy, like hers, and she thought it was the funniest thing in the world. She said "Well, you really nailed that hand impression".

Another time, I was holding her floppy hand by the wrist, shaking it back and forth pretending to scold it; "Why are you so lazy? Why don't you get to work??" Somewhere around Halloween, she took the opportunity to pose the question of whether the brain surgery that made half her body numb, took her hand, and part of her speech and locomotion might incidentally render her less nutritious when being eaten by zombies. I immediately facepalmed, and told her I loved her.

We had some really good times, and when you can laugh with someone about the worst things, it makes you feel really close. I admire her courage a lot.

Incidentally, I think meeting her was an act of God. I was thinking about traipsing back through the US, a place where I didn't feel welcome due to my parents' political issues. I wanted to get to Jerusalem, but first I had to make it through the continental US, kind of a ridiculous proposal that wasn't likely to end well. And, so after fifteen years of searching, I finally meet someone and it's this girl who teaches me a lot about self-acceptance. And then, as if by further miracles, I spent about three months mostly laying in bed, sick from one thing after another. I arrived with the worst foot blisters of my life. Then, I had two gout attacks. I think I had two colds. I had some sort of terrible stomach attack. And I think overall God was humbling me, and telling me to stop confronting the world back, which had been so nasty to me. I didn't have to wade back into the US, which doesn't like me, to travel to Jerusalem or anywhere else. Furthermore, I could accept that I've probably always had autism, and now neurological injuries from being assaulted, too. It's a medical fact that since I was attacked, I wound up with hypothyroidism and an elevated heart rate. I ought to be resting and taking care of myself. Having permission to stop being the strong person is a great gift from God.

Incidentally, I think meeting her was an act of God. I was thinking about traipsing back through the US, a place where I didn't feel welcome due to my parents' political issues. I wanted to get to Jerusalem, but first I had to make it through the continental US, kind of a ridiculous proposal that wasn't likely to end well. And, so after fifteen years of searching, I finally meet someone and it's this girl who teaches me a lot about self-acceptance. And then, as if by further miracles, I spent about three months mostly laying in bed, sick from one thing after another. I arrived with the worst foot blisters of my life. Then, I had two gout attacks. I think I had two colds. I had some sort of terrible stomach attack. And I think overall God was humbling me, and telling me to stop confronting the world back, which had been so nasty to me. I didn't have to wade back into the US, which doesn't like me, to travel to Jerusalem or anywhere else. Furthermore, I could accept that I've probably always had autism, and now neurological injuries from being assaulted, too. It's a medical fact that since I was attacked, I wound up with hypothyroidism and an elevated heart rate. I ought to be resting and taking care of myself. Having permission to stop being the strong person is a great gift from God.
I'm at that point. Of being humbled by my body/brain and social situation, as well as economic situation. It's ok. I think being humbled IS a gift. I have faith that I am here to do what I am here to do, and it seems embracing and working with my "disabilities" is part of what I'm here to do.

Interesting topic because one time I stopped in disabled parking to fly in and collect something and be back n gone.
Next thing social media bombarded with those who occupy disabled parking who don't have disabled signs. I don't usually do this, I plan my trips when it's less busy. But it got me thinking about stuff so I loaded up signs asking for more diagnosis of female Asperger's....met with much sarcasm. So eventually I released sign: stop having sex with vegetables. Outrage. So next sign: you wouldn't park car in disabled spot but you'd park it in disabled girls?
Best insult ever was not that I had lack slutty sexuality based on my features (I look underweight and sickly) but rather it was autism!!

I'm at that point. Of being humbled by my body/brain and social situation, as well as economic situation. It's ok. I think being humbled IS a gift. I have faith that I am here to do what I am here to do, and it seems embracing and working with my "disabilities" is part of what I'm here to do.
The thing I get hung up on is that people reject me, and they who don't want to sit and hash anything out, or understand my personality, or what I'm talking about. So, I tend to feel like I'm different, and not disabled. But who knows. It only took me half a century to figure out I almost certainly have autism. Maybe sometime before I'm a hundred, I can figure out what it is about it that makes it a disability. I mean, I can speak, for God's sake. I sound articulate to myself. If people can read a novel, why will they not give me a chance in person? I understand the Internet is a messed up place that can intervene to prevent you from making connections, but that doesn't explain why it's impossible in person.

The thing I get hung up on is that people reject me, and they who don't want to sit and hash anything out, or understand my personality, or what I'm talking about. So, I tend to feel like I'm different, and not disabled. But who knows. It only took me half a century to figure out I almost certainly have autism. Maybe sometime before I'm a hundred, I can figure out what it is about it that makes it a disability. I mean, I can speak, for God's sake. I sound articulate to myself. If people can read a novel, why will they not give me a chance in person? I understand the Internet is a messed up place that can intervene to prevent you from making connections, but that doesn't explain why it's impossible in person.
To answer your question at the end, it is partially because people make quick judgements on whether you offer them something worthy of their time, when they could already have either other plans for the day, have other priorities, or be in some other frame of mind where they are not interested in talking or getting to know someone.

I mean, in many cases, as time is worth either money to them, they are too busy in some other way, or as they can assume from first inspection what another could offer them is less than what they could get on their own from others or from doing some other activity, in this regard many people are either too self centered, impatient, judgemental or serious, to not give others a chance or to break from some other plans or usual ways.

To use your example, reading may relax some or provide them with info they want to know or learn, with them seeing more benefit there than talking to strangers or getting to know others. In my case, I would talk to any person, regardless of personality, looks and condition. I do not see Autistics as any better or worse than neurotypicals and those with other conditions. I relate in many ways to all, but not so as well to all. I am unique to all, but could find benefit talking to all, as we all can learn from all and see some good in all.

The problem I have with others I met is I feel I could offer them something, if they would have opened their minds and hearts and not assumed certain things. Those in life I tried to talk to just often seemed too busy or picky. Although there are lots of good persons out there, it just seems like social media and technology has further blunted typical people's ability to really communicate, show care and prioritize, with them wanting instant gratification, and with less focus on real life human meetings and interactions.

For those who need technology, or less fearful ways of communicating, like for many here, great. Communicating in these ways often is strongly preferred or needed, and as our senses, interests and makeup may need other visual or structured ways of being entertained, to learn, to relax and/or to express. But for many of the others, who may less need that, I admit, I am a bit disappointed in that I see less friendly, selfless, patient, and open minded persons, in my dealings with them in life, as their focus often is on their phones, selfies, laptops, and themselves, or on other things, than perhaps appreciating the smaller things in life in the present or in doing the smaller things in life that show consideration and care or a willingness to try to understand.

The kinder people in this society do exist, as I see some nice things done for others each day, and even like most volunteers must be nice, and there are many of those, but where are they on the street, and when I needed that effort to show humanity, a desire to get to know, assist or appreciate me or others--those either in distress, with some need or that were showing efforts or kindness? I started eventually to rely on myself and not anyone else to do a thing.

A few here had shown care and efforts to me personally, and my brother of course. I appreciate that. But, in general, I lowered my expectation for all others, and just focus on things I can control, which is my attitude and efforts, and with me prioritizing the things that mean the most to me. For those who give the same efforts and show the same kindness as I, that will always be a nice surprise. I admit though I see more persons obsessed with themselves, their own specific needs, or with their own lives, and that is OK, as I can make my own happiness if need be, as I cannot change who they are and their values and priorities.

Last edited:
To answer your question at the end, it is partially because people make quick judgements on whether you offer them something worthy of their time, when they could already have either other plans for the day, have other priorities, or be in some other frame of mind where they are not interested in talking or getting to know someone.

I mean, in many cases, as time is worth either money to them, they are too busy in some other way, or as they can assume from first inspection what another could offer them is less than what they could get on their own from others or from doing some other activity, in this regard many people are either too self centered, impatient, judgemental or serious, to not give others a chance or to break from some other plans or usual ways.

To use your example, reading may relax some or provide them with info they want to know or learn, with them seeing more benefit there than talking to strangers or getting to know others. In my case, I would talk to any person, regardless of personality, looks and condition. I do not see Autistics as any better or worse than neurotypicals and those with other conditions. I relate in many ways to all, but not so as well to all. I am unique to all, but could find benefit talking to all, as we all can learn from all and see some good in all.

The problem I have with others I met is I feel I could offer them something, if they would have opened their minds and hearts and not assumed certain things. Those in life I tried to talk to just often seemed too busy or picky. Although there are lots of good persons out there, it just seems like social media and technology has further blunted typical people's ability to really communicate, show care and prioritize, with them wanting instant gratification, and with less focus on real life human meetings and interactions.

For those who need technology, or less fearful ways of communicating, like for many here, great. Communicating in these ways often is strongly preferred or needed, and as our senses, interests and makeup may need other visual or structured ways of being entertained, to learn, to relax and/or to express. But for many of the others, who may less need that, I admit, I am a bit disappointed in that I see less friendly, selfless, patient, and open minded persons, in my dealings with them in life, as their focus often is on their phones, selfies, laptops, and themselves, or on other things, than perhaps appreciating the smaller things in life in the present or in doing the smaller things in life that show consideration and care or a willingness to try to understand.

The kinder people in this society do exist, as I see some nice things done for others each day, and even like most volunteers must be nice, and there are many of those, but where are they on the street, and when I needed that effort to show humanity, a desire to get to know, assist or appreciate me or others--those either in distress, with some need or that were showing efforts or kindness? I started eventually to rely on myself and not anyone else to do a thing.

A few here had shown care and efforts to me personally, and my brother of course. I appreciate that. But, in general, I lowered my expectation for all others, and just focus on things I can control, which is my attitude and efforts, and with me prioritizing the things that mean the most to me. For those who give the same efforts and show the same kindness as I, that will always be a nice surprise. I admit though I see more persons obsessed with themselves, their own specific needs, or with their own lives, and that is OK, as I can make my own happiness if need be, as I cannot change who they are and their values and priorities.
It would be really frustrating for it to be that simple; you're not as attractive an investment as a random book off the shelf, even if you only take slightly more effort than a normal person to be understood. After what I've learned in life, I'm eager to find out what gems are hiding within those who think or function differently. I use the analogy of a present to unwrap. Are you going to throw a present in the trash because it's in a box and wrapper, or are you going to spend three minutes opening it? It's true that unique lessons and experiences are going to accumulate in a person who is packaged differently, so you can expect there's something interesting there.

Whenever I see someone on here who puts phrases together differently, I'm curious to get to know them, I wonder if they're aware that they're different, whether they would like to know that they are, and whether we can find out why. Someone I had noticed in this regard wound up commenting that they think mostly visually, in images! Isn't that an interesting discovery? And now you realize they might have some brilliant insights you literally can't or haven't seen.

New Threads

Top Bottom