• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Difficulties with violin?

Naturalist

I have been trying to teach myself the violin for many years now, and have made decent progress. But I have one major difficulty: there are times when I cannot bear the sound of my instrument so close to my ear! I have tried practicing with earplugs...A mute over the bridge... both help a bit, but not entirely. As a result I often go weeks without being able to practice, which sets me back a bit and makes me feel depressed. Then I will suddenly have a day where I feel really good and energized and I can pick up my instrument and play again, as if nothing was amiss in the first place, but I always have lost a bit of ground in the meantime.

I would love to try cello, but can't afford it at present. Bought the violin secondhand because I love hearing others play, and the instrument means a lot to me because I spent six months restoring it myself before I could play it; I really don't wish to give up, but the cycles of playing / not playing are getting reslly frustrating, it makes it difficult to build the routine I need in order to really enjoy learning. Any ideas from other musically-inclined Aspies?

Hello, I'm a musician too :) I'm a bassist in a rock band so a bit different. What sort of ear plugs are you using? I find the cheaper ones have a pretty limited effect. Have you tried ear defenders instead?

Have you noticed a pattern to when you can't stand the noise? Most times I'm fine at rehearsal but when I'm tired or my children have been playing up I find the noise much harder to cope with. Would it help to sit somewhere really quiet for a bit first?

If the noise is too bad some days you could always just practice the fingering and leave the bow for another day, or do some very quiet pizzicato maybe. Or finger strengthening exercises, that will improve your playing too. Hope that helps a bit.

Hey Naturalist, im a fellow violinist. Different violins have different sounds, I picked mine because it has the mellow sound I particularly love. You may need to look into swapping the actual instrument. But some other things you could try is different strings, because they also make a big difference, a different chin or shoulder rest (it might be the vibrations on your jaw bone you're struggling with), or a different bow as this will also change the sound. Or maybe you'd be better off with a viola??

Some things for you to think about ; ). Good luck!

I have the same problem with certain noises that drive me crazy- check out 'misophonia' - happens to a lot of people. I can't stand eating noises - even my own- quite difficult at times - or ticking clocks - we have several in the house but none in my room at all. You can get 'white noise' on disc or mp3 that can help to cancel noise out, I dont find it irritating and it heps to drown out certain sounds. I played the violin until recently and never had a problem but mum used to play my clarinet and it used to drive me bonkers - ear plugs helped but didnt stop it, I always had to put headphones and other sound on.

Thanks for the great insight! Digger, I have indeed noticed that it seems to be harder to deal with the sounds when I am stressed by other things. I really like the idea of practicing fingering / finger strengthening then, I don't know why that didn't occur to me! It would allow me to continue to make some progress. I will also look for the ear defender earplugs, because right now I use an inexpensive silicone, and you are right--they don't always help much. I will also check out the white noise discs Red Star mentioned, because it may help to cancel some background sounds so I can focus on the violin.

Christy, you make a good point about the tone being specific to the instrument. I actually love my violin's tone when OTHERS play it, but not so much when I do, and I have noticed that instruments which sound good to me when I play, do NOT actually have a good tone when others play them. This makes me convinced that it is, in fact, a proximity issue--that something happens when the sound wave is shorter and closer which makes it unbearable. (Same thing happens with other sounds, like sirens, which seem to alter at a particular distance so that the wavelength or frequency becomes painful). I have tried a variety of strings which helped some, but had not thought to swap out the chin rest and shoulder rest. I will try that next. And actually, a viola is not a bad idea, I might try renting one to see if it would be a useful alternative.

I'm an amateur musician.

I tried playing guitar and I found it to be impossible. After a week and probably 15 hours of spent time, I concluded I haven't got almost any better and that it was pointless.

HOWEVER, I'm very good at piano. I never attended any classes, but I'm a pretty fast learner. I dare to say that I can play 90% of songs.

I'm an amateur musician.

I tried playing guitar and I found it to be impossible. After a week and probably 15 hours of spent time, I concluded I haven't got almost any better and that it was pointless.

HOWEVER, I'm very good at piano. I never attended any classes, but I'm a pretty fast learner. I dare to say that I can play 90% of songs.

Balkan1996,

That's great that you taught yourself the piano! I am glad to hear it, because so many people tell me "you won't ever play correctly if you don't have lessons". But I like the challenge of trying to figure it out myself. I do make a lot of progress, when I am able to practice regularly.

Balkan1996,

That's great that you taught yourself the piano! I am glad to hear it, because so many people tell me "you won't ever play correctly if you don't have lessons". But I like the challenge of trying to figure it out myself. I do make a lot of progress, when I am able to practice regularly.

If you want it to be something more than a hobby, I'd recommend you take professional lessons.

If you want it to be something more than a hobby, I'd recommend you take professional lessons.

You are quite correct in that, but I don't ever expect to perform. Playing aids my thinking processes, so it is a hobby with a personal agenda ;)

I did just see a posting for a teacher who specializes in composition and theory as well, and that is indeed something I could enjoy, so perhaps I will take lessons after all...

You have no idea how much I can relate to this. I used to play the oboe, and depending upon the instrument and the reed, having that sound right up in your face can be...annoying to say the least. I don't know how that problem would be solved, really. You can practice in a closet all you want and get the best sound you possibly can, but you never know how that will translate into how you sound in an actual concert hall.

Since you seem to be playing only for yourself, though, that shouldn't matter. I don't know if a viola would help with your sensory issues, but I do advocate it just because it is my favorite of all the stringed instruments. :) You say you've tried different strings...and I would have suggested trying to find a different instrument had you not mentioned how much care you put into restoring this particular one.

I have professional violinists friends I could ask about this; I don't think any of them are on the spectrum, but maybe they might have some insight, so if you like, I can ask them on your behalf.

You have no idea how much I can relate to this. I used to play the oboe, and depending upon the instrument and the reed, having that sound right up in your face can be...annoying to say the least. ...
I have professional violinists friends I could ask about this; I don't think any of them are on the spectrum, but maybe they might have some insight, so if you like, I can ask them on your behalf.

Wyverary,

Thank you very much! I would love to hear your friends' input if they have any ideas. It IS only for my own amusement, but the violin and viola are two of my favorite instruments, and buying the violin was a "declaration of independence" for me once I left home, since I pestered my mother for lessons starting at age 6 but she refused to let me learn (ironically, "too much noise" was her reasoning!). She did allow me to learn clarinet in middle school because it was a band activity, and she wanted me to do something in a group setting (our school didn't have orchestra). I know what you mean about the reed! I used to blow through the reed and mouthpiece without the rest of the instrument, so it sounded like a duck call, when I was annoyed with practicing, just to annoy Mom...

New Threads

Top Bottom